How 'bout some New Jersey firsts?
* FIRST INCANDESCENT LAMP made by Thomas A. Edison at Menlo Park in 1879.
* FIRST BOARDWALK IN THE WORLD built in 1870 at Atlantic City.
* FIRST SUBMARINE built in 1878 by John Holland of Passaic County, now in the Public Museum at Paterson.
* FIRST "CONDENSED" SOUP IN AMERICA cooked and canned in Camden County in 1897.
* FIRST ROBOT used to replace the human worker by the General Motors Company in Ewing Township in 1961.
* FIRST SALTWATER TAFFY produced at the Jersey shore in the 1870s.
* FIRST SOLID BODY ELECTRIC GUITAR invented by Les Paul of Mahwah in 1940.
* FIRST NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK IN AMERICA established in 1933 at Morristown.
* FIRST CULTIVATED BLUEBERRIES marketed by Elizabeth White of Whitesbog in 1916.
* FIRST STEAM LOCOMOTIVE that actually pulled a train on a track, built by John Stevens of Hoboken in 1824.
* FIRST TOWN TO BE LIGHTED BY ELECTRICITY, Roselle, in 1883.
* FIRST ORGANIZED BASEBALL GAME played in Hoboken in 1846.
* FIRST WORLD SERIES RADIO BROADCAST, the baseball game was broadcast live over Radio Station WIZ in Newark in 1921.
* FIRST INTERCOLLEGIATE FOOTBALL GAME played in New Brunswick on November 6, 1869. The 25-man teams were fielded by Rutgers University and Princeton. Rutgers won, 6 to 4.
* FIRST AIRPLANE PASSENGER SERVICE inaugurated at Atlantic City on May 3, 1919.
* FIRST COPPERMINE IN AMERICA opened by enterprising Dutch settlers in the Kittatinny Mountains, circa 1640.
* FIRST DIRECT DISTANCE DIALING, COAST TO COAST service was inaugurated at Englewood on November 10, 1951.
* FIRST "DRIVE-IN" MOVIE THEATER built on a 10-acre plot in Camden County in 1933.
* FIRST FERRY SERVICE IN THE U.S. operated between Hoboken and Manhattan in 1811.
* FIRST MAIL VIA ROCKET sent from Greenwood Lake 150 yards into New York State in 1936.
* FIRST SEASHORE RESORTS opened in Cape May and Long Branch in the early 1800s.
* FIRST MISS AMERICA chosen in Atlantic City in 1921.
* FIRST MOTION PICTURE developed by Thomas A. Edison at West Orange in 1889.
* FIRST BREWERY IN AMERICA opened in Hoboken in 1642.
* FIRST PHONOGRAPH made by Thomas A. Edison at Menlo Park in 1877.
* FIRST BALLOON FLIGHT IN AMERICA made by Jean-Pierre Blanchard. On January 9,1793, he landed a balloon at Deptford carrying a letter from George Washington.
* FIRST PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL GAME played in Trenton, 1896.