I started my new package on foundationless starter strips this May and in the first brood super I had placed a couple of drawn out wax combs to give the bees a guide to follow. Well it worked because they drew out all the comb perfectly straight in the bottom brood super. Well stupid me, When it came time to add another brood super, I forgot to add those few frames and I ended up giving them all foundationless frames. Well they made a mess drawing out the combs into the next frames.
They ended up filling these combs with honey, and when I tried to pry them apart, well a big mess. I finally ended up cutting out the worst ones (actually by accident, I tried to straighten them out, but they ended up falling apart) and introduced 2 frames of filled wax combs once again for them to use as guides. Haven't checked in 2 weeks, but I go in tomorrow to see how they did
I guess they really need a guide to get started right.