Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 19, 2014, 07:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honey theft  (Read 2000 times)
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« on: December 15, 2004, 10:43:10 PM »

I was wandering how do I keep ratcoons and other critters out of my hives? Thanks, bye

Ryan Horn
thomashton
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:19:55 PM »

I have no real world experience, but Beekeeping for Dummies says for skunks and such, the best thing to do is use a hive stand so they have to stand up to get at it. Then, their belly is exposed. The bees know what to do after that. For racoons, the best deterrant is a big, heavy rock or cinderblock they can't move from the top. I would assume these together would take care of most problems.

I was thinking that when I finally begin my beekeeping adventures that I would put in a motion-activated light. That might frighten pests away when they come creeping in at night.

After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 08:18:46 AM »

I have looked at the motion sensor light that flashes lights and makes a lound screching noise. So I gues I will build wood stands that then I will put the hive stand on for the bees to land on then the hive and then 2 cinder blocks, slound alright? thanks, bye

Ryan Horn
Jay
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 09:30:33 AM »

Quote from: thomashton

I was thinking that when I finally begin my beekeeping adventures that I would put in a motion-activated light. That might frighten pests away when they come creeping in at night.

I have 4 motion sensor lights all around my house and yard and I can tell you that they are no deterant to raccoons or any other small beasties. I see the lights come on all the time and look out the window, and there is the raccoon just lumbering along, continuing with his nocternal path, unconcerned by my flash of technology! shocked

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 09:53:02 AM »

Scarecrows?

Razor wire?

I'm thinking about electric fence, like for livestock, since I have the wire and shocker box.  I used it to keep critters out of the garden. That includes dogs.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 01:11:49 PM »

!2 gauge for day lite work. 22 cal. for night time work does a great job. Also helps make the garden grow.
 Cheesy Al
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 05:11:28 PM »

I have also seen the electric fencing. I dont think I could put it in at a reasonable price, maybe if I put it around all the palots in a straight line. bye

Ryan Horn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next