Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 08:20:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry Neighbors  (Read 12182 times)
derrick1p1
House Bee

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »

BMAC, have you contacted your state beekeeping association?  http://www.mostatebeekeepers.org/index.htm.  I'm curious if there are any laws on the books that maybe able to  help you with this.

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »

You know.  I have not contacted them yet.  That is an excellent idea.  I haven't spoken with anyone from the association since the last semi-annual meeting. 

Thanks...

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Well I had a visit by the local PD today with a complaint about my bees....

So . . . what did the cop say when s/he saw you had no bee hives in your backyard?  And did he specify how "having bees in your backyard" was a chargeable offense?

Just curious.  Fortunately, our township has an ordinance that declares that no agricultural activity conducted under "best practices" guidelines will be considered a nuisance.  For beekeeping, "best practices" means a barrier or 50-foot buffer between hives and neighboring residences, restrictions on the number of hives per acre (more than I'd ever have) -- common sense stuff.

Good luck.

-- Kris
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

That's my point.  Unless there's some rule, law or ordinance against having bees on your property I'm surprised the police responded at all.  There must have been a 'charge' on the complaint, what did it say?  You have bees in your yard?  So what?  rolleyes

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

The officer looked up some nuisance code and said this falls under the nuisance code cause someone complained.....

So I spoke with my Alderman or in my case Alderwoman last night.  She is completely on my side and is going to see what she can do to put an oridinance in place to allow bees.  She has seen the 60 minutes report on disappearing bees and such and understand just how important they are to our food source.

I applaud her.  she also has a 9 acre place in my city and is maybe interested in hosting my colonies on her property for honey.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »

when you receive your ticket, it will have a stautory citation and language defining your violation. Please post this language. you may have factual defneses(it doesn't define nuisance as it applies to bees), statutory defenses(necessity), agricultural exceptions(many places forget these statutes are still valid even though suburbia has come to town), vagueness, overbroad, failure to define properly etc. Keeps us posted.

I would also ask for a bee lign-up. They wont be able to identify your bees from a wasp! Wink

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2008, 09:55:49 AM »

I dont think I will be getting any tickets.  The officer said he was just responding on the call and that was it..  No ticket....

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
mairghead
House Bee

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »

I don't know how different the Kansas City area is from St. Louis, but my local health inspector that gets called on hives told me I am allowed 5 per lot here in the city.  (The city ordinances say three I believe, but if the inspector says 5 who am I to argue?)  Our lots tend to be significantly smaller than suburban lots so it would suprise me if you have restrictions in your area.  Are you in a subdivision with drawn up rules that you could consult?

Jackie
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »

I don't know how different the Kansas City area is from St. Louis, but my local health inspector that gets called on hives told me I am allowed 5 per lot here in the city.  (The city ordinances say three I believe, but if the inspector says 5 who am I to argue?)  Our lots tend to be significantly smaller than suburban lots so it would suprise me if you have restrictions in your area.  Are you in a subdivision with drawn up rules that you could consult?

Jackie

Jackie,  You bet.  My Alderwoman (bless her) is looking into this right now.  Overland Park (an more afluent local area) allows up to 4 colonies per city lot.  I can't imagine the little spuedo acrigiculture is any different where I am....

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »

Ok so I'm curious did the cops ever visit the neighbor with the loose dogs. And did he get a warning.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
mairghead
House Bee

« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »

I know I read an article on restrictive bee laws recently and I want to say it was in BeeCulture in the last 6 months.  I don't read them in order so I'd have to go back and look.  It seemed to me like it was pretty rare for bees to be outright against the law, but there was one place up in New England that they had a law they were working to overturn.  The article printed up some proposals that they were making that might be of help to you in this situation.

It's unfortunate when neighbors aren't neighborly or willing to communicate and learn from each other.  My neighbors built a deck overlooking my 6 foot privacy fence and backyard.  I wen't out in my underwear one morning to water my dogs and found to my suprise an elderly man leaning on his elbows 5 feet away from me on the top of my fence.  Needless to say it's not as comfortable now in my backyard as it used to be.  Our schedules put us in the backyard at the same time and they sit on their deck and watch us.  Our solution was to build a 10 foot "castle" tower (jungle gym) so that our 3 year old welcome wagon could over look their back yard and talk their ears off about how cool Lightening McQueen is and offer them pretend crabby patties to eat.  It's put us on much better terms with our neighbors and it's hard to be mad at a kid like Dennis the Menace who can't really get into their yard.  They realize now how easy it is to invade each other's privacy when you live so close.

I hope your neighbors choose to be educated and you don't end up with a full blown feud.  Good luck.

Jackie
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2008, 12:35:41 AM »

That sounds like a familiar article.  It probably is Bee Culture.  It's the only one I read at the moment.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

I like your solution Jackie. 

You neighbor probably figured that you are a good show after that morning......

Hopefully we will have a resolution soon. 

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »

had they ever talked to you before, or did this come out of the blue?  i hate it when people come at me in a twist and it's the first i have heard from them, or the first i've heard of the problem. 

This was out of the Blue.  In fact Friday evening I brought my one neighbor over a large bottle of honey and said thanks for being a tolerant neighbor.  She was all fine and dandy and accepted my honey only to have her husband come over the next day to start yelling at me angry

Talk about PO'd.....  Accept my gift and then be a jerk to me...  Thanks.  Maybe two empty hives setup out back on their side of my back yard evil

In case ya'll haven't viewed my saga here it is: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,15868.0.html

Now today I went over and simply asked my neighbors if they called code enforcement and they lied and told on another neighbor that vehemently denies he made the call and I believe this neighbor cause we have always been on friendly terms. So I made my peace, sort of, but this neighbor better never again get anywhere near my house again.

Didn't have the balls to just admit he made the call, but tormented me after I GAVE him a $200.00 fountain!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »

There are some good articles about assisting local governments with zoning laws in American Bee Journal by Sylvia A. Ezenwa, J. D.

I like reading her stuff.  Scares the snot out of me for legal purposes.  Though I'm a piddly

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53:20 AM »

Well update on this matter.  My Alderwoman called back as they have researched all the codes our little city has on the books.  She has done appropriate research on the internet about beehives and keeping them within the city limits of anywhere.  Now she has presented it to the city's legal begals.....

Hopefully we will have a new ordinance on the books soon stating I can have my 4 meanest nastiest colonies out back of my house.  I can hardly wait to move live bees back into my yard!!!

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

I would immediately move all your hives back in yard ASAP. Two reasons. You will be grandfathered in if you have a preexisting use, and obviously there is no ordinance banning beekeeping at the moment. W/o a prexisting law, you are presntly legal.

qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2008, 02:28:33 AM »

Ummm  My last line WAS supposed to read; Though I'm a piddly little hobbiest embarassed

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »

I would immediately move all your hives back in yard ASAP. Two reasons. You will be grandfathered in if you have a preexisting use, and obviously there is no ordinance banning beekeeping at the moment. W/o a prexisting law, you are presntly legal.

I have 140ish colonies.  So all of them will not be moved to my back yard right now.  I do understand your philosophy on this matter.  Actually due to the number of colonies I have, it truly doesnt matter to me if I have colonies in my back yard or not because I cant fit them all back there now anyway.  However it sure is convienant to be able to do a cutout and place the cutout colony in my back yard until I know I have a queen in there or re-establish a queen in it.  Needing to move my cutouts/swarms to my outyards and tending to them at the outyards is a pain in my keester!

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »

understand, but I would then move in 4 or five so the precedent is etsablished for your "continued"  and "prior" use. I too like putting swarms and cutouts near house.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next