Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 11:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry Neighbors  (Read 11946 times)
BMAC
Field Bee

« on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »

Well I had a fairly interesting weekend.  3 of my neighbors come over complaining about the bees and threatening to call the cops stating they call the city and it is illegal for me to have colonies behind my house. 

One I think was looking for a fist fight, but not sure.  I assured them the city has no such ordinance on bees.  Oh well.....

I was a nice neighbor so last night I moved the last of them out of the bee yard.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

Keep a few empty boxes back there.  Then you can find out if the problem is the neighbors or the bees rolleyes

Rick
ccwonka
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:40:47 AM »

Don't you hate it when you're perfectly willing to do something to make other folks happy, but they come at you in such a way that the LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO is anything that will make them happy!?!?!?  They're the ones whose kids you see run around the restaurant disturbing everyone while the parents ignore them . . . (and yes, I have kids.  THEY BEHAVE).

ARGHH - (can you tell these folks annoy me?!) Wink
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:04:34 AM »

Your a better man than I am. Smiley
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »

had they ever talked to you before, or did this come out of the blue?  i hate it when people come at me in a twist and it's the first i have heard from them, or the first i've heard of the problem. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »

They are totally full of bull. this time of year! Give me a break. In August, when its drought time and they have a pool, maybe. Leave an empty box out there and seee its they who are the problem.  Why be a good neighbor? They weren't.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

I already plan to leave an empty box back there setup on a BB with lid. 

I almost told them all to go pound sand and yes it is extremely difficult.  I HATE CITY LIVING...

One threatened to throw gasoline on them to kill them.  Maybe what I can do is get him to actually come douse my box with gas so I can call the cops and press charges on him for it.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »

had they ever talked to you before, or did this come out of the blue?  i hate it when people come at me in a twist and it's the first i have heard from them, or the first i've heard of the problem. 

This was out of the Blue.  In fact Friday evening I brought my one neighbor over a large bottle of honey and said thanks for being a tolerant neighbor.  She was all fine and dandy and accepted my honey only to have her husband come over the next day to start yelling at me angry

Talk about PO'd.....  Accept my gift and then be a jerk to me...  Thanks.  Maybe two empty hives setup out back on their side of my back yard evil

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »

Time to order up some AHB for their butts! Did you ask the husband why his wife had no problem w/ bees and he did? Did they articulate what it is the bees are doing? Or are they "just oppossed" to bees. Most cities DO NOT have restrictive zoning. I would maintain a hive just in case an ordinance is passed, so you can be grandfathered in. I would also notify neighbor who threatened to burn your hive that he is not welcome on your property. so when he does, you can add defiant trespassing to liost of charges.  For two yrs I have had hives in a very populated area. My picture appeared in newspaper w/ beehives and my neighbor called police that day. I stilll have my hives and he found out i am registered w/ state and he could pound sand. I did, reduce number of hives, partly to help w/ his pool situation, partly to get my hives onto new areas. I also found if you do an inspection w/ them present, you wearing no gear, and they get a taste of honey, most peiople stop worrying about the bees.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

I think CCWONKA hit it.  Same neighbors have the most unruly trouble making kids.  I also have 3 kids.  All are well behaved.....

I will mention the honey to him one day as I will call him a liar to his face about calling cops and calling city hall...  The other guy is too much a weasel, he didnt tell me to my face he was going to thro gas on my hives.  Instead he was yelling it out loud.  His kid made a comment that his mom is allergic.  So right after that I took pictures of her on her deck putting makeup on.  So if she is allergic and bees are around shouldn't she go inside?

THey are also liars with a thing about bees in general.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

Those people must not have enough to do... angry.  My 1st instinct is to put or do something even more annoying (but within the law) whilst leaving empty boxes, maybe putting more in..I used to have a giant wooden "maxine wave"(in the early 70's)When I was mad @ 1st X I would put it on the porch so he would know what to expect when he came in....I wish I still had it cause have had occasion to want to put it on top of the motorhome parked in the pasture so certain people would see it when they drove by... evil May be time to learn chainsaw woodcarving... grin grin I would have a very hard time living in a neighborhood..everytime I drive by one I hear the theme song from Weeds..little boxes...in my head!! cheesy  Good luck, I'm sorry this happened to you.  People forget this is America!  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Rodni73
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »

Hi there!

1-You should not have removed the bees from your yard! If there are no city ordenance regarding bees then your neighbors can't do crap unless they go to their councelman/woman who can propose a legislation against keeping bees!  Thus, they can yell and call the cops all they want and if they burn your hives good... then you can press charges. I don't understand how you allowed them to come up to you and yell at you??? Tell them to take a hike....However, since you moved the bees leave the boxes to experiment as other people said! Make their lives equaly as miserable! Download the city ordanance book and every time they do something that needs a permit call the town on them...!

2-Most people I know can't distinguish a whale from a bee... People are very ignorant about bees. I have a single hive in my suburban backyard and I made it plain and clear to all my neighbors that it is there to stay and will fight tooth an nail! In return, in the summer I do give all the neighbors garden tomatoes.  I plant a huge vegetable garden and if a neighbor is good I reward, if they act up... well for every pebble they throw at me I would throw back a mountain of bolders at them.

Any way, best of luck and may God bless you & give you the strength to rectify this issue.
-Rodni
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

what exactly was their complaint?  they just don't like bees?  even if yours are gone, they will still have things around that sting.  have they been stung?  i always try to be nice to my neighbors that first time i have a problem....like dogs in my pasture....after that, i'm done.  i'm afraid that if i found someone actually throwing gas on something on my property, they'd be dead.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

i'm afraid that if i found someone actually throwing gas on something on my property, they'd be dead.

I adore the way you think.  Even though I live in the city, I have a few strategically placed weapons thru out my house.  1 of which is an AR15 with a couple handy 30 round mags.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
MrILoveTheAnts
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »

These people don't deserve to eat food.

A study I read said that 6 to 8 people in 1000 are allergic to bees. Consider the population of your town and ask yourself, "how likely is it one lives next to me?"

Throw gasoline on a hive? with today's prices? I think not. I have faith that if he did it he'd be smart enough to light it on fire (which is actually hard to do) but he'd would be attacked by flaming bees. It would be the youtube video of the century.

We need some camouflages colored hives or public service announcements. I'd go as far to say better biology classes in schools.

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »

Those 15's are fun aren't they?  I know I could hit something at the enterance of our little valley here from the roof..not that I would ever do such a thing..But could if needed!  Wink Those types of people don't ever quit either..once they succeed in pushing someone around they keep it up getting more & more petty after each success...Is this just one couple?  Have they done anything like this to others? I'm getting all poufty thinking about your situation angry  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Rodni73
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »

It is just sad how our "suburban/urban" country has lost touch with it's food! I mean people don't understand that to have steaks you must kill a cow!!!! to have honey you need bees! Three weeks ago my brother went to a farm upstate and bought a mouton that was butchered and dressed to be bbqed for Orthodox Easter. When we unraped the mounton for the BBQ my neighbor called us "savage barbarians" for killing the mouton.... yet she was BBQing hot dogs, Pork shops & burgers on her gril!

Neighbor: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww grosss what the hell is that?
Elie (my brother): Lamb
Neighbor: Ohhhhhhh my god..oh my god look at it's head.. eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww how can you eat that...!
Elie: Where did you buy the meat on your grill and how was it made???
Neighbor: A&P super store <--------Did not get it...!

Silence
the end.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

Oh crap!  I feel like I just walked into a hive of AHB (africanized honey beeKEEPERS!!!)

Peace!  It isn't worth doing 15-20 years over some bee hives.  Don't let dinks like that drag you down to their level!!!

It is probably best that you moved them for now.  Since you passified them temporarily, now you need to research and double check the laws and ordinances and make sure that that is all on your side.  If you've got a good reason to believe so, then I'd put some empty hives outside to see how they react. 
(Maybe stock them with hornets grin)  Then move the bees back.

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »

fortunately, i am not encumbered by the delusional belief that all life is sacred.  apparently, neither is poka-bee.  sounds like the rise of the killer women.   evil

it is funny how different neighbors can be.  granted, i don't have anyone really close, but those within the range of my bees are very happy to have them.  they have noted an increase in everything from their berries, to their squash.  they do know where their food comes from!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »

fortunately, i am not encumbered by the delusional belief that all life is sacred.  apparently, neither is polka-bee.

Oh, I've read her stories, and polka-bee is definately NOT sacred!!! grin  tongue

Not all life is sacred, but 20 years in a cell with Angry (and probably something else too!) Bob really sucks, too!!

I'm grateful for reasonable neighbors as well.  We don't talk to many of them, but they all know I've got bees.

Rick
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next