Took out the AJ's trap yesterday. It had been in for about a week. There were 99 dead SHB in the trap. It was placed in a five frame nuc w/about three frames in the NUC. The NUC still had a fair number of shb but glad to get rid of that 99! The bees had alot corralled under the cover and I squished what I could.
One thing about the trap that alot of people fail to hear is you need to cover it with a piece of vinyl floor covering etc after installing it. The beetles like to hide under the floor covering as the bees attempt to corral them and this increase the likelihood of them falling in the trap. Also some say it collects warmth and attracts them.
The first AJ I installed I did not cover it and after a week the count was 0 !!! (A different hive it was a full ten frame). The results are above for the covered trap.
The verdict is still out but I like the convenience compared to other traps. I don't like the filling of the trap it will take some getting used to. Right now I use a syringe. I wish it were deeper and divided into three sections like the hood trap. That way you could try some bait w/ the trap. The last ones I got were a little hard to snap together. I believe the location of installation of the trap makes it alot better option than some traps (as the bees scurry around on top of the frames).
I think it is a bit pricey for what you get but then what is 5 bucks if it works long enough for a hive to get strong enough to defend itself (and we all know about the price of things these days and the cost of making them)! I imagine the major mark up's not on AJ's end!!!