Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 09:31:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4H Kids and me  (Read 1810 times)
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« on: May 14, 2008, 06:27:45 AM »

Met a local family that is interested in bees. The kids signed up to do a beekeeping project in 4H, so I invited them over last weekend and we went thru the hives.

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:14:31 AM »

That's great you got the kids involved, future beekeepers???

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
DennisB
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »

Way to go. We have been 4H supporters for over 30 years and love it. Unfortunately in our area it is suffering due to urban sprawl. Keep up the great work!!!!

Dennis

PS Did I see a swarm trap in the background? Any luck this year catching any?
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:18:37 AM »

Indypartride, you got some pretty cool pictures going on there and what a great thing to do, you never know, you may have touched these young peoples' lives and they may become future beekeepers for surely, yeah!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »

PS Did I see a swarm trap in the background? Any luck this year catching any?
Yes you did. After watching my colonies swarm off into the woods the past couple years, despite doing everything "by the book" to prevent swarming, I decided that maybe catching them after they swarm might be a more successful strategy. Haven't caught anything. Yet.
lovelyembalmer
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »

Cool pics.  My kids have always enjoyed playing with the bees. Noticed no gloves, What kind of bees? I'm trying to figure out which way to go with requeening some hives that chase you if you get within 100yard of them. Don't want to loose them but maybe a new queen will produce calmer brood.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:09:27 AM »

Noticed no gloves, What kind of bees? I'm trying to figure out which way to go with requeening some hives that chase you if you get within 100yard of them. Don't want to loose them but maybe a new queen will produce calmer brood.
Mine are Italians. I wore gloves as a newbee, but eventually went gloveless, although I keep them handy for days when the girls are cranky.  I'd definitely want to requeen if my bees were as hot as you describe. I often sit right next to the hives just to watch (no gear on). That sure wouldn't be fun if the bees were as testy as you say. Talk to some of the beeks near you, get some recommendations on who to buy local queens from.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »

What fun, lucky kids.  Couldn't help noticing the big boots!  I only wore a veil for the last check-up, didn't even smoke them.  I too sit right by the hives, sometimes get bumped but I think it's cause I'm in the way of the workers coming in for a landing so it's more of a collision! grin   Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next