Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 11:42:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tetanus anyone?  (Read 1878 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 29, 2010, 03:11:11 AM »

Just about due for my 10 yearly or so shot and am wondering if you have the same protocol up there?
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:44:25 AM »

We don't have that protocol here anymore, Mick.  If you sit on a rusty nail or something then you get a needle if you haven't had one within 10 years, or with a "tetanus prone" large wound, within 5 years.  They think that too many vaccinations can cause a hypersensitivity reaction.  You might want to consider a whooping cough booster.  There have been whooping cough outbreaks around here.

Lone
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »

I reckon I had whooping cough a few years ago, whoop whoop after each coughing fit, as I tried to breathe in, an unmistakable sound.
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:23 AM »

I'm well overdue for my tetanus shot.  It's a 10 year thing for us too.  Surprised they haven't mentioned it the last few times I've been in to the doctor.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »

10 years unless you do high risk work.  since i have a little farm, i get mine every 8.  used to get it every 8 in the military, or whenever they lost my shot record.  Sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »

I had so many as a kid, I cannot take it anymore. If I get a bad scratch or cut, it heals good with no infection. :)doak
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »

used to get it every 8 in the military, or whenever they lost my shot record.

Luckily I never had mine lost in the 12 years I was in but I do know some who had them lost often.  That can't be good getting the same shots over and over again.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »

I can see you'll be a brave fellow in front of the nurse, Micko - after all, you've had far worse stings  Smiley
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:20:52 AM »

Ah yes, dont mind a bit of DYI surgery. I was 20 years in sports med and first aid, had the highest civilian qualifications available. Once you understand the human body, its just another form of mechanics. Once upon a time before a big night out, we would stuick a bung in the ole forearm, and connect up a saline drip before bed, no hangover if you do that!

Im not as bad as Ranulph Fiennes who cut of the frost bitten stumps of his fingers with a dremel saw, only because the hack saw wasnt doing a very good job.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »

Haven't found anything that a good old fashioned poultus of Turpentine and wood asheds wouldn't cure.  I survived numerous encounters with rusty nails through the soles of bare feet before I ever heard of a Tetanus shot. 
I don't know which was worse, the pain from the large needle they used back then or the smell of the wood ash and deed skin when the poultus was removed.  I do know that the poultus was good at resoling my feet every summer.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next