Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is climate change still on the agenda ?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
Is climate change still on the agenda ?
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
      February 4th. 1956 my wife and I were married, the temperature that day made 104 degrees Fahrenheit and today 59 years later our maximum forecast is 20 degrees C. Surely it must be that overload of snow in the northern hemisphere, anyway we are off for a lunch to celebrate all those weather changes over the years.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Is climate change still on the agenda ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
Congrats to you, Geoff, and send my condolences to your wife.   :cool:

She has to be an angel to have put up with you for 59 years.   :wink:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »
I'm just glad our last global cooling scare is over so we can have a global warming scare...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/01/global-cooling-compilation/
http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm
http://climatechangenationalforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ice-Age.png
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/1970s-ice-age-scare/

"The worriers about cooling included Science, the most influential scientific journal in the world, quoting an official of the World Meteorological Organization; the National Academy of Sciences worrying about the onset of a 10,000 year ice age; Newsweek warning that food production could be adversely affected within a decade; the New York Times quoting an official of the National Center for Atmospheric Research; and Science Digest, the science periodical with the largest circulation."?- Julian Simon, "What Does the Future Hold? The Forecast in a Nutshell,"? in Simon, ed., The State of Humanity (Cambridge, Mass: Blackwell, 1995), p. 646.

"In the early 1970s, the northern hemisphere appeared to have been cooling at an alarming rate. There was frequent talk of a new ice age. Books and documentaries appeared, hypothesizing a snowblitz or sporting titles such as The Cooling. Even the CIA got into the act, sponsoring several meetings and writing a controversial report warning of threats to American security from the potential collapse of Third World Governments in the wake of climate change."?- Stephen Schneider, Global Warming: Are We Entering the Greenhouse Century? (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1989), p. 199.

"Some climatologists believe that the average temperature in the Northern Hemisphere, at least, may decline by two or three degrees by the end of the century. If that climate change occurs, there will be megadeaths and social upheaval because grain production in high latitudes (Canada, northern regions of China and the Soviet Union) will decrease."?- George Will, "A Change in the Weather,"? Washington Post, January 24, 1975, quoted in James Fleming, Historical Perspectives on Climate Change (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998), pp. 132-33.

"Our climate has swung wildly from severe warming during the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s to severe cooling during the 1960s. . . . The cooling is a fact."?- Lowell Ponte, The Cooling: Has The Next Ice Age Already Begun? Can We Survive It (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1976), p. 31.

"Earth's climate has been cooling. This fact seems to contradict theories that say it should be warming. But the prophets of warming are describing real forces that influence climate, and like other scientists they are still learning how these forces interact to produce a balance of heating and cooling on our planet. It may well turn out that the growing instability of Earth's climate is caused by human influences adding both heating and cooling forces to the balance, thereby making it more and more --unnatural' and precarious. The prophets of both warming and cooling agree on at least one thing: climatic changes can come quickly, within centuries or even decades, and can have devastating consequences for humankind. Climatology has ceased to be a drab science. Its findings have taken on an urgent importance for all of us."?- Lowell Ponte, The Cooling: Has The Next Ice Age Already Begun? Can We Survive It (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1976), p. 31.

"The continued rapid cooling of the earth since World War II is also in accord with the increased global air pollution associated with industrialization, mechanization, urbanization, and an exploding population, added to a renewal of volcanic activity."?- Reid Bryson, "--All Other Factors Being Constant . . .' A Reconciliation of Several Theories of Climate Change,"? in John Holdren and Paul Ehrlich, eds., Global Ecology: Readings Towards a Rational Strategy for Man (New York: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich, 1971), p. 84.

"Reid Bryson of the University of Wisconsin points out that the Earth's average temperature during the great Ice Ages was only about seven degrees lower than during its warmest eras"?and that the present decline has taken the planet about a sixth of the way toward the Ice Age average. Others regard the cooling as a reversion to the "little ice age"? conditions that brought bitter winters to much of Europe and northern America between 1600 and 1900.- Peter Gwynne, "The Cooling World,"? Newsweek, April 28, 1975, p. 64.

If I get a choice, I vote for gobal warming.  That winter we had -40 F every night for two months was more than enough of the ice age for me...
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
Obama said climate change is the greatest threat to the world right now so did our secretary of state Kerry. Which means they are still planning on making money off the lie like Al has.

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
I'm with MB, I vote for warming. 
Mankind can easily adapt and flourish.  Well the northern hemisphere, Australia, South America, and parts of the Pacific will flourish.
The ME, well, I don't think so.
The global warming thing is a money play by the Al Gores of the world.  Pathetic bunch that they are.  Sadly, the common man is too busy to rise up and smite the globalists. 
Anyway, for those who are attentive.  We are experiencing a mini ice age. 
The weather guys and gals can't predict a week in advance, what make them think they can predict 20 years in advance?
Enjoy your bees,
Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
>Obama said climate change is the greatest threat to the world right now so did our secretary of state Kerry. Which means they are still planning on making money off the lie like Al has.

Maybe he's hoping for another Nobel Peace Prize...
Michael Bush
-------------------

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
Our all knowing President just said a couple days ago that Global Warming is a bigger threat to the world then ISIS.
I haven't seen on the news lately anyone loosing there head because of the Global Warming hoax but maybe he has.
SO. Which do ya'll think is the greater immediate threat to the US? Globle Warming or Islamic terrorism?

Offline Dallasbeek

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »

SO. Which do ya'll think is the greater immediate threat to the US? Globle Warming or Islamic terrorism?

Obama.  Oh, I see ... we had to choose one or t'other.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline hjon71

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »
I do think climate change is still an issue.
I can't say definitely that it is caused entirely by humans but I do believe we contribute to the rising temperatures. Just keep in mind that "increase" is about 1.4? F since 1880. Which follows pretty closely behind the second industrial revolution when coal and steam production/use rapidly grew.
This was discussed here earlier-
http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=42611.20
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
We have maps from 1421 or so where there is the entire coastline of all of Greenland, Antartica, Northern Canada etc.  The Northwest passage used to be a reality.  Now with all this global warming we are still not back to there yet... in fact we have record ice now.  That mini ice age in the 1700s froze up a lot of the North.  That mini ice age back in the 1980s did too...  I think with the threat of another ice age always looming, global warming is a great idea.  Too bad it doesn't work.

Michael Bush
-------------------

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
hjon71,
Do you remember the story of Hannibal crossing the Alps with elephants to attack Rome?
Well, he was able to cross the Alps because there was no snow to obstruct his route.  They are covered with an ice pack today.
There have always been temperature fluctuations of the earth. 
The development of man from Africa, hominid species migrating back and forth from Asia Africa and Europe and back again, the dispair of the middle ages, the discovery of America from the Pacific and Atlantic, and so on. 
Global warming and cooling is a natural function of the earth.  Man may have some influence but so do volcanoes, meteors,  and the sun.

The current "sky is falling" crowd is a self serving cult.  There were recent headlines in the press stating that the records the "Warmers" are using is false. 

In the event the earth is warming, taxing us to death won't help. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
>In the event the earth is warming, taxing us to death won't help.

No, it won't help global warming, but it will make a lot of money for someone...
Michael Bush
-------------------

Offline hjon71

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:02 PM »
There were recent headlines in the press stating that the records the "Warmers" are using is false.

I'm going to have a look around and see if I can find this. If you have a link handy I'd be interested to read it.

I am only saying the trends match. I haven't seen heard or read any solid evidence either way. I do not profess to know why, only that all the data I have seen indicates an overall increase of temperature. Yes there have been periods of cooling in that same time but it doesn't balance out the warming.
I can't argue that there will always be someone to find a way to profit from any opportunity. Ain't life grand? 
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Online buzzbee

• Ken
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page

Offline hjon71

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 03:16:33 AM »
Thanks Buzz. I found that article and several others. Now I find myself thinking....one side says "x" the other says "z". Which leads me to look at "y", meaning the truth is probably in the middle somewhere. I'm not overly concerned either way, and I'm quite sure the right(deniers) will be well represented here so I'll post this just to help bring a little balance to the discussion.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/CRU-tampered-temperature-data.htm

Offline GSF

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
Our gov't is on crack and spending money eases the craving some. The climate change tax will come up and it will pass with the help of both sides. Like an addict they (gov't) need a fix, then another one, then another one, and another, ect.
"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne

Offline Dallasbeek

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
Thanks Buzz. I found that article and several others. Now I find myself thinking....one side says "x" the other says "z". Which leads me to look at "y", meaning the truth is probably in the middle somewhere. I'm not overly concerned either way, and I'm quite sure the right(deniers) will be well represented here so I'll post this just to help bring a little balance to the discussion.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/CRU-tampered-temperature-data.htm

Your thinking that "y" must be the truth reminds me of some judges I've heard justify their decisions by saying that if both parties are unhappy with the decision, it must be the right decision.  HOW THE HECK DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline hjon71

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 05:03:15 PM »

Your thinking that "y" must be the truth reminds me of some judges I've heard justify their decisions by saying that if both parties are unhappy with the decision, it must be the right decision.  HOW THE HECK DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

If both sides are unhappy I'd say it may not. Some people won't be happy regardless the outcome, even if they "win" they think they should have won more....somehow. idk.
I only used y to distinguish an area between x and z. Not a fixed point exactly equidistant between the two.

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 04:46:58 AM »
  Hope those heavy snowfalls in the Northern hemisphere keep going , they are counter acting the Global Warming down here (Downunder). We are having a very mild summer so far.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything