Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 17, 2014, 09:43:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  
Poll
Question: Do you believe in Global Warming?
Yes - 3 (21.4%)
No - 11 (78.6%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming Poll  (Read 221 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 02, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »

I saw a report that NOAA is claiming 2014 is shaping up to the HOTTEST year on record (in recorded history that is).  I’m pretty sure what beeks will think of that, but let’s hear your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/30/tech/innovation/record-temperatures/index.html
Eric Bosworth
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »

Global warming has been disproved. So because it has been disproved then they came up with "Climate Change". Guess what... We live in a dynamic planet. Should we expect anything different?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

I'm just glad our last global cooling scare is over so we can have a global warming scare...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/01/global-cooling-compilation/
http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm
http://climatechangenationalforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ice-Age.png
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/1970s-ice-age-scare/

“The worriers about cooling included Science, the most influential scientific journal in the world, quoting an official of the World Meteorological Organization; the National Academy of Sciences worrying about the onset of a 10,000 year ice age; Newsweek warning that food production could be adversely affected within a decade; the New York Times quoting an official of the National Center for Atmospheric Research; and Science Digest, the science periodical with the largest circulation.”
- Julian Simon, “What Does the Future Hold? The Forecast in a Nutshell,” in Simon, ed., The State of Humanity (Cambridge, Mass: Blackwell, 1995), p. 646.

“In the early 1970s, the northern hemisphere appeared to have been cooling at an alarming rate. There was frequent talk of a new ice age. Books and documentaries appeared, hypothesizing a snowblitz or sporting titles such as The Cooling. Even the CIA got into the act, sponsoring several meetings and writing a controversial report warning of threats to American security from the potential collapse of Third World Governments in the wake of climate change.”
- Stephen Schneider, Global Warming: Are We Entering the Greenhouse Century? (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1989), p. 199.

“Some climatologists believe that the average temperature in the Northern Hemisphere, at least, may decline by two or three degrees by the end of the century. If that climate change occurs, there will be megadeaths and social upheaval because grain production in high latitudes (Canada, northern regions of China and the Soviet Union) will decrease.”
- George Will, “A Change in the Weather,” Washington Post, January 24, 1975, quoted in James Fleming, Historical Perspectives on Climate Change (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998), pp. 132-33.

“Our climate has swung wildly from severe warming during the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s to severe cooling during the 1960s. . . . The cooling is a fact.”
- Lowell Ponte, The Cooling: Has The Next Ice Age Already Begun? Can We Survive It (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1976), p. 31.

“Earth’s climate has been cooling. This fact seems to contradict theories that say it should be warming. But the prophets of warming are describing real forces that influence climate, and like other scientists they are still learning how these forces interact to produce a balance of heating and cooling on our planet. It may well turn out that the growing instability of Earth’s climate is caused by human influences adding both heating and cooling forces to the balance, thereby making it more and more ‘unnatural’ and precarious. The prophets of both warming and cooling agree on at least one thing: climatic changes can come quickly, within centuries or even decades, and can have devastating consequences for humankind. Climatology has ceased to be a drab science. Its findings have taken on an urgent importance for all of us.”
- Lowell Ponte, The Cooling: Has The Next Ice Age Already Begun? Can We Survive It (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1976), p. 31.

“The continued rapid cooling of the earth since World War II is also in accord with the increased global air pollution associated with industrialization, mechanization, urbanization, and an exploding population, added to a renewal of volcanic activity.”
- Reid Bryson, “‘All Other Factors Being Constant . . .’ A Reconciliation of Several Theories of Climate Change,” in John Holdren and Paul Ehrlich, eds., Global Ecology: Readings Towards a Rational Strategy for Man (New York: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich, 1971), p. 84.

“Reid Bryson of the University of Wisconsin points out that the Earth’s average temperature during the great Ice Ages was only about seven degrees lower than during its warmest eras—and that the present decline has taken the planet about a sixth of the way toward the Ice Age average. Others regard the cooling as a reversion to the “little ice age” conditions that brought bitter winters to much of Europe and northern America between 1600 and 1900.
- Peter Gwynne, “The Cooling World,” Newsweek, April 28, 1975, p. 64.

If I get a choice, I vote for gobal warming.  That winter we had -40 F every night for two months was more than enough of the ice age for me...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
jayj200
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »

they fiddle all the time with the numbers.
Oh the figs dropped early
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

it's the wrong question anyway.  the question should be "Do you believe in anthropomorphic global warming?".  Since we have records of many years of radical climate change, much of it predating man, and almost all of it predating industrialized man, the answer would be 'no'.

industrialized man has only existed for a tiny blip on the history of the planet, and not even long enough for a good record of what he might or might not have done to the weather.

but...long enough for the leftists to use the idea as a way to redistribute wealth "fairly", and bring those nasty industrialized countries down to the level of root diggers.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »

it's the wrong question anyway.  the question should be "Do you believe in anthropomorphic global warming?".  Since we have records of many years of radical climate change, much of it predating man, and almost all of it predating industrialized man, the answer would be 'no'.

industrialized man has only existed for a tiny blip on the history of the planet, and not even long enough for a good record of what he might or might not have done to the weather.

but...long enough for the leftists to use the idea as a way to redistribute wealth "fairly", and bring those nasty industrialized countries down to the level of root diggers.

One word- hockeystick
Literally.

Copied from previous thread.
No doubt, since 1998 temps are down about 0.1° C. How long it will continue is unknown. I like History. Lots to learn there, so lets look.
 http://www.aip.org/history/climate/20ctrend.htm

Several charts here. See first chart- Global Temps 1850-2008
The overall trend is up0.8° not down. Easy to see a few cooling trends in that same period- note1880-1910 roughly 30 yrs=0.3° decrease, also 1940-1970 roughly 30yrs=0.15°decrease.

Notice a pattern? I do.

Perhaps a more telling graph is further down the page-charts 4&5
That is what I mean by temps. following mans progress.

Could it be a natural occurrence? Possibly
Could it be influenced by humans? Possibly
I don't know. But I wouldn't completely dismiss it as some do.

Copied from a previous thread.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »

Thank God for it. If pennsylvania was still by covered by snow and ice where would I live?
Could it also be that mankind has thrived with the planets warming temps?
An iceage of the proportions that carved a lot of the landscape on our planet could also lead to a sharp declination of mankind,if not outright extinction.
But this old planet will keep on chugging along,regardless of mankind.With or without us.
I watched a tv program that showed that lowering Great Lake levels are actually an ongoing response to the glaciers having melted. Seems the structure under the lakes was compressed with the weight of the glaciers all those millions of years. As the planet warmed and the ice melted and returned to the sea the landmass has been decompressed and as it slowly does so the waters continue to run to lower points.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »

I think I saw that same program BuzzBee.  The mantle rebounding after all that weight was lifted from her.

Then I just heard on NPR a few weeks ago that the lakes are up about 3 feet in the last year!  Nobody expected that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next