Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 11:38:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burma and the aid invasion  (Read 854 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: May 09, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »

i have been following the Burma disaster closely, as my husband is now in Thailand.  he is part of Cobra Gold.  this is a multi-national exercise that includes war games, but also a large exercise in disaster and humanitarian relief.  everything Burma needs is next door waiting to be allowed in.  so far, no go.  medical supplies, doctors, construction people, helicopters, small boats, all denied access.

the UN is being encouraged to do an "aid invasion".  to enter the country without permission to render aid.  on the surface, this seems like a reasonable thing to do.  however, consider the implications.  the UN entering a sovereign country against the governments will, for the "good of the people".  does that creep out anyone besides me?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »

It does sound like a good idea to me but I suppose US wont lead the invasion as I dont know of anything we can use(like oil) from Burma. You're right though about the implications. I couldnt begin to guess what trouble that would start.
 I read about the Burmese govt blocking help and couldnt believe it!
 But, then again, It cant believe a lot of things going on nowadays around the world but these strange atrocities still go on!
 Ya suppose its time for another"Blackwater" intervention?

your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »

i would think that if the UN wanted to start invading for the good of the people, they might have started some place like Darfur.  of course, they might get shot at, and we know they don't tolerate that well.
remember Somalia.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lovelyembalmer
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »

An invasion can be good or bad. With the government not wanting us in, what do we do except sit back watch and pray that they will see the light.  I really hate seeing the people in need.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1739053,00.html?imw=Y

it is interesting to try and figure out what stirs people.  a repressive government who's subjects are needlessly dying.  how many countries does that describe?  i guess invasions are ok only if it's an internationally approved reason.   go for it.  invade Burma and think up a catchy name like Balkans east......

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next