Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 12:50:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 1610 times)
mairghead
House Bee

« on: May 07, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »

I have a patch of Jerusalem Artichoke I neglected to harvest last fall.  Does anyone know if I need to thin them for them to thrive this year or can I just leave them to do their thing?

Jackie
Bill W.
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »

We always leave some in the ground and never bother thinning.  Just pull them up at the end of the season if you're hungry or leave them in the ground to grow again next year.

doak
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

And if you don't watch/control them they will take over.
The roots spread like wild fire.
doak
mairghead
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »

Smiley  I've noticed.  I have them in a raised bed out in the middle of my yard.  Every once in a while I run a shovel around the outside to snag the ones trying to escape.

I'm suprised my husband hasn't taken the weedeater to them yet.  He has a terrible tendency to chop off anything over 4 inches tall including all my perennials.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »

Oh man, I have looked everywhere for Jerusalem artichokes up here, can't find them, maybe one day, I really want to try them, but I must be looking for that love in all the wrong places, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most awesome day in our great lives. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mairghead
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

It's a shame you can't get any.  I just love them.  Have you ever checked out the site www.fooddownunder.com? It has some great recipes.
Jessaboo
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »

Hey Cindi -

If you know this I apologize but sometimes Jerusalem Artichokes are also called sunchokes and the latin is Helianthus tuberosus - this helped me find some since the more popular term now seems to be sunchoke (at least in the mid-atlantic states).

I had a hard time finding them where I am too but they finally showed up - of all places - in the organic produce section of my grocery. I bought a handful and plunked them in the ground - I think they are coming up (there is so much pokeweed around right now it is hard to tell).

Hope this might help you find some.

BTW - how are they as a bee plant?

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »

Jessaboo.  Brainstorm of the century!!!  I didn't know these other names for the J.artichokes, by the way, thank you.

I see them in the organic section of my store too, never had it crossed my mind to plant some of these, what a wonderful plan.  That I will do today while I am out.

I know that I have heard that store potatoes have been treated so they don't sprout.  I don't know how true that is because I have seen potatoes sprout regardless. 

Buying from the organic department (or store) is good anyways, we know that there has been no chemicals used with these products.  I am now very excited about this, no reason why I can't get them from the store instead of ordering through a catalogue, beautiful.  Have that awesomely great and wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »

We always leave some in the ground and never bother thinning.  Just pull them up at the end of the season if you're hungry or leave them in the ground to grow again next year.

Send me some, I would love a start.  Had some years ago at a different house and used them in lou of potatoes a lot.  If you need postage let me know  Or if you're coming up for the Labor Day shebang bring some with you.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Bill W.
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »

I'll bring some with me.  We have plenty.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:36:49 AM »

Bill, bring some for me too when you come to Brian's shebang!!!  I am still gonna try at the organic store, but I could use more and more and more, hee, hee, beautiful and most wonderful life.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next