I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar allergic reaction.
I have keep bees previous - over 60 hives - and had been stung more times than I care to remember, without any serious reaction.
Just over 3 years ago I moved to my present location and shortly after arriving got stung by a paper wasp. No problems - a bit sore - but what the heck. Have worked in the bush most of my life and along with bees stings, one gets a fair dose of wasp stings. This was differnt. Within five minutes I was out like a light - a real drugged out feeling prior to collapse. This was not the normal anaphalytic shock thing, with swollen neck and occulted airway which is life threatening. Anyway, after a while I came round and apart from sweating profusely and feeling rather drained and tired, nothing much else.
I got a couple of other similar stings with similar reactions. I went to Doctor and took the usually test which showed up positive to paper wasps - got a prescription for an epipen which I now carry with me at all times. You might note I have not mentioned bees.
As the 'tests' did not prove positive to bee stings I was not all that worried when I re-engaged with my former hobby. Indeed, on delivery I was stung a number of times - no reaction.
Then, one day, on my going through the hives, no gloves, I got stung and five minutes later I was out like a light - similar to the paper wasp episodes. More tests - now positive to bee stings.
I had to rethink my hobby as the Doc was rather uneasy with my hobby to say the least.
But wait - there's more. While I was waiting for the hives to build up so I could get a good price when I sold them I got stung by a paper wasp. I waited for the inevitable reaction with epipen poised ready to use. Nothing. No reaction apart from localised swelling and pain - no need of epipen. I have since been stung, a couple of times when going through the hives, even wearing gloves which I hate - and no reaction.
I related my experience to a pro beekeeper and he said another b/k friend had the same thing and sold out - so perhaps this is not all that unusual.
I am planning to have more test done to see what the current science says on the matter but I suspect something else is triggering this reaction. Perhaps is something to do with my own bodily metabolism or something that slightly changes the chemical makeup of the venom.
So, I'm wondering if there is anyone else who has experinced, or knows of someone who has, a similar sort of thing.