Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 11:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frog wars  (Read 648 times)
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« on: April 26, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »

Well, the boys are back!  I have slate chunks for the border of the pond, they create little caves amongst the plants & gook in the shallows.  Every year 2-3 frogs take up residence each trying to out-croak the others.  They fight over the best spots as some echo better..it's fun to hear em rotate, each has a unique voice.  They don't swim IN the pond part any more as the koi like to "play" with them...eewww! shocked  A small example of local adaptation & evolution!  BTW the tree/barn swallows have been back for a couple of weeks, I love listening to them chatter in the sky. That had been my favorite spring reminder as far back as I can remember. Bees are busy this am, going to check em in a couple of hours.  Last time  (21st)there wasn't any brood yet that I could find but we had that whacky weather so they couldn't get out for pollen. They had drawn out 4-5 frames each hive though & had & liquid stores.  Nice today! grin  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »

Oh Yeah, the sounds of Spring.  The Martins are in full force here.  They do a wonderful job on the mosquitoes.  Swallows are already in the chimney.  And the calves are playing tag across the beaverpond.  Bullfrogs and crickets are in full song at night. They sing us to sleep each night.
Gotta love the rural life.  Wish I could figure out how to insert a Google Earth link.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:38:29 AM »

Jody, oooh how cool, and what a picture you have painted in my mind's eye.  Lovely.  I heard the red winged blackbird for the first time yesterday, it always makes its warning call before coming to the bird feeding area, unmistakable sound.  Oh, I too love the sounds of spring, the tree frogs have been croaking now since about the first week of March, they soon will be ending their spring songs.  We have had a fair larger number of sapsuckers this year, far more than I have seen in many years, maybe say, even 8 years.  Don't know why. There is a red breasted sapsucker that is pounding the living daylights out of my Husbands metal extension ladder every morning.  That drumming is so loud it is almost scarey.  I know soon that it will be off drumming its brains out somewhere else.  Oops, right, I think that the drumming is a mating call or something like that, maybe he will just stop, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderfully lovely day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next