Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 04:52:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: interesting gas cost graph  (Read 4332 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: April 21, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »

not posting this for any particular reason.  just thought it was interesting.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/nytimes_gasoline_price.jpg

also heard an interesting warning today.  the talking head said that since the cost per barrel is being driven more by speculators than real world events, there is a reasonable chance that there will be a price crash.  it will be something like the housing financials crash for investors (me and the funds) who are invested in oil stocks.  same thought with some of the grain prices. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »

I told my daughter just this morning that it was a shame the gas prices were controled ny words alone. Went on the explain that some one mentioned there might be a shortage, and OPEC said they would not produce more and price per barrel went up to $117.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
taipantoo
House Bee

Location: Merrimac, Massachusetts, 01860, United States of America

Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »

You can create a shortage just by having a talking head say that there is one.
Everyone then rushes out to fill their tank at the same time, like just before a holiday weekend, and there you have it.
There is not enough fuel stored at the gas stations to fill up all the vehicles on the road.
I think the talking heads create more news than they report.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »

Actually I'd heard the demand was down, lower than they expected, which was yet another twisted reason why the price was up  rolleyes  I wonder what they'll do when they totally destroy the economy, no one can afford gas, where's it going to come from then (I mean the money)? 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »

I drive a diesel. Remember the days when diesel was cheaper than air?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »

Remember the days when diesel was cheaper than air?

used my truck the other day.  when i opened the door, it smelled all musty.  that's how little i have used mine!  i don't even want to think about what it will cost to fill those two tanks.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 08:38:24 AM »

...JP

We have diesels.  The upside is that even with the higher cost of diesel, you still get more miles per dollar than with a comparable model gasser, because it is more efficient.  And with the demand for heating oil over, the spread between gas and diesel is narrowing.

-- Kris
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »

I was speaking to one of our economist today at work. He said if you take the fear out of a barrel of oil and all the uncertainty. a barrel of oil right now would be in the 70US buck range. Fear is driving the market

This part will be hard to believe but
I also deal with Exxon and Chevron a good bit and their guys are telling me they hate to see the price of a barrel go so high. Because they make more money turning crude into pharmaceuticals, plastics and other high end finished products gas and diesel are sort of their " byproducts" if you will. Do I believe that? maybe
lovelyembalmer
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »

We have a diesel F350 and we have had to park it because of the price of diesel.  Makes my hubby mad because diesel is a by product of Gas and the price is more. 

And Yea  we remember when diesel was by far cheaper then gas. wish it was back that way.
Our diesel prices at the pump today was $4.17 per gall and gas $3.65.  If it getts much higher and it probably will, Horse and buggy may make a come back.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »

If it getts much higher and it probably will, Horse and buggy may make a come back.
[/quote]

Figures...Jody's law strikes again...my horse died last month! rolleyes  It'll have to be goat & chix buggies for me!  Although there are a lot of horses for sale now with the economy...I can get a decent one for the price of 5 tanks of gas...hmmm! evil It's not good when I have "thoughts"!!  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Barbara
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

We paid $4.71 a gallon this morning . . . sheesh.  Thank goodness we drive a hybrid and get 51 miles to the gallon.  We've also parked my truck, which really sucks cause I love driving it.

Barbara
lovelyembalmer
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »

What was so bad was that yesterday after I posted. I went home the Diesel price had gone up to $4.27 per gallon.  This morning I filled up my car (honda pilot) took 65.00 to put little of 17 gallons in. the same gas station, diesel today will be $4.35 per gallon before the end of the day. Sad

I've heard maybe the truckers all will strike and maybe that will help. huh Undecided
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »

...JP

Ouch, the only thing is diesel usually does better on fuel but still a stifling 4.XX a gallon is rediculous.  I was talking with some guys at the Farm and Home the other day and they were switching to diesel mowers simply because they use less fuel.  I have a gasoline powered rider and if gas gets much higher the grass will just have to be hay...LOL. 

David
lovelyembalmer
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »

We've had a diesal Cubcadet for the last 23 years, It ran commercial in my mom and dad's lawn company for 3 years before we got it and use it commercial for the next 10 to 15 years. It has been retired to our lawn for a while now. When we used it commercial, it would run one tank of diesel (3 to 3.5 galls) per day to the gas mowers (5 to 6 gall) two to three tanks.

This year I had to get a battery ($29.00) and a mower blade switch ($49.00) other then that the mower doesn't owe us a dime and is still running strong.
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »

there's a fairly good reason for diesel prices going up, a clearly economic!
diesel low--> demand on the rise-->higher demand equals higher price. the ratio in cars diesel vs. gasoline used to be what... 1:10, now it's fairly close to 1:1, maybe there are even more diesels, at least in Slovenia and most of the Europe, plus, most of construction machinery is diesel and when there are a lot of construction sites....(E Europe, Asia...)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

there are a lot more diesel cars in Europe.  i noticed that.  here, it's mostly big trucks and pickup trucks. 

mici....where have you been?  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

yep, we have 3 cars all are diesel.

well, lately, i've been all around, mostly at home, i..i just didn't have the will to write anything, it's not that i'm lazy or anything but it just...i just wouldn't take 5 minutes to write something, so now i'm in delay i "owe" quite a few mails to a few person due to that, also...i wanted to thank Understudy "publicly" on this forum for his assistance in getting me the HSC. i guess now it's a bit late but hell, better late than never, also, now that i think about it...it was that day, when i got the HSC when i just lost the will to participate much, i did lurk the forum however but every time i wanted to reply..."ugh, i'll do it later".
this about sums it up... Undecided sorry for the OT, but it would be far more unethical to open a tread with "me" as the tittle grin
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

well, i am glad you are back. 

by HSC do you mean the Home Shopping Channelsmiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »

well, i am glad you are back. 

by HSC do you mean the Home Shopping Channelsmiley
I think he means Honey Super Cell.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Honey Super Cell causes gas  huh
Mici,
I too have been slacking on the forum lately. Getting to be too much to read and reply too. I pop in and look around quickly to see if anything interestingly new is going on. Then yesterday I pop in and have to go searching for all my favorite forums cause they have been moved.

Anyway.... Gas is still going up. Main reason is because investors keep thinking the price of oil is going to go up and they keep investing causing the price of oil to go up. I thought there would be more to it but that is what I have been reading lately. I don't understand it. But we are suffering because of some investors investing. 

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next