Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 04:58:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarms -- what to tell your friends  (Read 1213 times)
Jim Stovall
New Bee

Jim Stovall

« on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »

I realize this could be filed under "preaching to the choir" category, but it's a good time of year to remind ourselves to remind our friends and neighbors of the following:

Subject: Swarms

• If you see a swarm, don't panic. A swarm is generally a good thing.

• DO NOT use insecticide to try to kill a swarm. Bees are way to valuable for that kind of treatment.

• Swarms are fairly benign and unlikely to sting.

• Call your local police or fire department and ask for their list of beekeepers. Or call a beekeeping friend. Any beekeeper will love you for it.

• If you simply do nothing, the swarm is likely to go away.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »

good reminder  smiley

got a call from a lady a few weeks ago.  every year a swam lands in a tree on her property.  every year she keeps her son in the house for 3 days while she and her husband take a hose to the swarm to "make it leave".  she doesn't seem to realize that in 3 days it would probably leave on it's own, and that they are far more likely to be stung when they hose the thing,  than if they just left it alone.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called the government. They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Shizzell
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »

Hey, there is the "need bees removed?" arrow in the right top corner of the forum's page. You can tell them to come here =)

I haven't had anyone use that yet for contacting me for swarms, hopefully this year though someone will give me a call =D

Jake
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:23:44 AM »

Most of my calls come from the folks referred to me by the County Extension Service.  They get a list of registered Beeks every year from our states' Apiary Section.  I guess I can give my name and number to the local police and county sherriff offices also.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:04:33 AM »

Don't forget the exterminator!!  Most of the time they will get called and then go in and spray them.  Talk to some of the small operators and they'll call when they get swarm calls.  most of my calls over the last couple of years has been from the one that i made aquaintance with.

the big operators don't really care much.

Rick
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:29:49 AM »

Big operators care also.  I called Terminex and they were happy I called.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
Jim Stovall
New Bee

Jim Stovall

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »

Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks,

Jim
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »

I have had the most luck w/ the state Bee club website, police stations and exterminating companies. I had to wait until my third summer to get my first call. I think feral hives are finally making a comeback in my neck of woods and there has been extensive publicity about bees in NJ by the ag dept. The public is now calling NJBA which is great which is the biggest reason I am now getting calls. People also think I should pay them to take the bees.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Shizzell
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »

Thats rediculous that people expect you to pay for the bees.
I mean, they called you out there, because they don't want them there.

YOUR doing a favor for THEM. That doesn't make sense to me.

But then again, most people don't make sense to me =)

Jake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next