Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 21, 2014, 11:50:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when to requeen?  (Read 1483 times)
Miss Pepper
New Bee

« on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »

When I did my first inspection of the year about a month ago, I saw that I need to replace my queen.  I know I have one (though didn't try to locate her), but her laying pattern is very spotty.  When should I replace her and how long should I let them remain queenless?

Does anyone have any ideas of who to order a queen from? (I'm in Washington State)  I got my hive from Georgia, but I don't know if it's ok to order a queen from across the country.  Ideas?
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:21:45 AM »

When I did my first inspection of the year about a month ago, I saw that I need to replace my queen.  I know I have one (though didn't try to locate her), but her laying pattern is very spotty.  When should I replace her and how long should I let them remain queenless?

Does anyone have any ideas of who to order a queen from? (I'm in Washington State)  I got my hive from Georgia, but I don't know if it's ok to order a queen from across the country.  Ideas?

Try Olympic Wilderness Apiary in Port Angeles.  He has Russian/Survivor stock.  He next days them every thursday starting in late May I think.  I've gotten some and like them.  The other nice thing is they are aclimated locally as well as mite resistant.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »

It might be spotty because its early in season.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Miss Pepper
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »

So should I wait to replace her until next month?

Are you saying that her laying could get better as Spring progresses?

Some people say that it's a good idea to requeen every year, even if the queen looks fine.  Do you think that's a good idea or should I just let her be if her brood pattern gets better?

(sorry for all the questions!  Requeening is an aspect of beekeeping that I don't know much about)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »

my brood patterns are all spotty.  i think it's the weather.  we are still in the 30's at night and rain, rain, rain.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »

If the bees agreed with your assessment, odds are they would have already replaced her.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next