Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 12:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best of Luck to the winner  (Read 2536 times)
leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« on: November 02, 2004, 08:08:49 AM »

It's election day and according to all the experts, we don't know who is going to win.   I'm going to the polls in a few minutes and I still don't know who I am going to vote for.   I don't see much of a difference between the two major canidates.   Massachusetts is clearly going to go for Kerry, so my little vote either way doesn't make much of a difference.

Hopefully before tomorrow morning we will have a decided winner, and we won't have to go through all that stuff like last time.    

So, Best of Luck to the winner, you take over a country where half of the people like you and half think you are a complete idiot (Bush) or a lying cheat (Kerry).  You both have a lot of courage to atleast get up there and give it your best try, despite what people may say or do.  Neither one of you wants to make war instead of peace.  And you both want what is best for the USA,  it's just how to achieve it - that's what makes you two so different.

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:53:48 AM »

I doubt very seriously that we will have a confirmed winner by tomorrow. I figure if we are lucky we should know in time to swear someone in on Jan. 20.
The one thing that I am looking forward to is NO MORE POLITICAL COMMERCIALS!
I encourage everyone to observe your constitutional right and get out and vote today.
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 02:34:25 PM »

leominsterbeeman
That was one of the more refreshing attitudes I have heard during this whole process. Sometimes I think that we forget that the American People and the rights and liberty we enjoy are what makes us great.

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:35:58 AM »

Quote from: carbide

The one thing that I am looking forward to is NO MORE POLITICAL COMMERCIALS!

In Norway political commercials are illegal on TV, since the majority of the politicians (and I agree) think that those 30 seconds commercials would be able to show the true opinions of the parties.  In Norway, thus, the only commercials we see are ads in the newspapers, and even they are few.  Instead we see many political debates on TV and have to read the "party programs" where the parties tell in detail what they mean.   And by the way; thanks heaven for not being exposed for the kind of personal attacks we see from your campaigns. I would rather pay attentions to their politics than what could be found about their personal life 30 yars ago.
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:47:34 AM »

Every four years it gets crazy like this. We should be voting on their policies and values, and if they line up with what we want. It's difficult for most people to find out the truth though. If all they go if is what they say in a rally or debate, it's hard to see if it's true. I go off of how they've voted in the past, but not many know how to research that information. If I can help it though (in future elections of course, this one is over) I will never believe what someone else says about a canidate. I want to know the truth, and be sure it's truth - or as close to truth as possible, so I do the best I can with research.

Since I have a different kind of satelite tv - sky angel - all christian tv - I was lucky enough to not see a single ad, rally, or debate. But I'm sure they were just as vicious as in election times before. They're like putting wild dogs together and letting them tear eachother apart. Some may consider it entertaining, but I was always left feeling angry, with a headache and a twisted stomach. I'd rather turn off the tv than subject myself to that during election time.

I'll be honest here though, I think either way (Bush or Kerry) we're in for trouble. I personally don't agree with Kerry's values and the choices I believe he'd make. And our "enemies" like Kerry - I think because they know he would be "soft" concerning attacks made within our country or elsewhere. But Bush is hated very deeply by some people that have/would take serious actions if he's in office for another 4 years. To put it very simple, if Kerry wins, I think the "conservative republican" could deal with it and just do what they can to fight for values in a courtroom. But if Bush wins, I fear there are people out there (a large number even) that might start a civil war, or try to kill Bush. And I don't think that's a far fetched idea. My own mother even talks about Bush like she'd be tickled if someone killed the President (brutally), and has said things like "someone needs to put his head on a stake".
Sorry for such a long post.

Beth

eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 10:05:22 AM »

Just going to mention one more thing.  A very good friend of mine is now on a 3 month visit in the US during her PhD studies.  This sunday she went to a church.  She didn't know this church and I can't say if what happened there is representative or not.  But what actually happened was that as she entered the church she got a paper in her hand which asked her to vote for Bush. Also the vicar had a political speach which encourraged people to vote for Bush.  And the worst of all was that they said that any good christian should vote for him. This made her extremly angry, and it had nothing to do with Bush's politics.  That the political debate was dragged into church in such a way is terrible.   One should be extremly causious about telling which president God would prefere, and splitting God's church on political stands is not a good thing.

Again, this was not a pro Bush or pro Kerry message, but I can say that many europeans are terrified by how the presidential campaigns are run, and how "fanatical" some people seems to be.  I don't think it is strange that just 60% of you voted this time, and even though it seemed like a high percentage it would have been an all time low and a disaster in a Norwegian scale.  I guess people are tired of the circus, and I for one look forward to be done with this election and I hope that the campaigns in 2008 would be more of "I mean this" and less of "you are hopeless" smiley
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 01:51:37 PM »

But what actually happened was that as she entered the church she got a paper in her hand which asked her to vote for Bush.

Oh boy. Most of my family is the "evangelicals" people call Bush's base. And yes, the same thing happened at my aunt's church. She was disgusted, and really wanted to walk out during the "sermon."

By the way, she did not vote for Bush, and encouraged others not to. Keep in mind she is a born-again, Bible-believing Christian--no liberal! And no convert, either. My family has been evagelical since before the term existed!! But Bush frightens her.  She sees gray areas where he sees black and white.

My mother's generation was born in rural Appalachia, dirt poor, no running water, education minimal, and everyone was born again before adulthood. Maybe because of that, being a fellow evangelical doesn't automatically make Bush "one of us, right or wrong" to her.  She knows that her fellow evangelicals can be wrong, can do bad stuff, and can be out-and-out hucksters, so she can add that to the equation.

Politics and religion. If we start talking it on this board, we might end up like two hives combined too fast. Smiley  So suffice to say that yes, I think it's wrong to bring politics into a church. And I think it's wrong to bring the church into politics. And there are evangelicals who agree with me.

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 02:38:48 PM »

Eivindm,
You state that many europeans are "terrified" by how our presidential elections are run and by how "fanatical" some people are about them. It seems to me that, yes, some people in the states are fanatical about our elections, but to be honest with you to be intensely enthusiatic about our elections is in my opinion a much better way to spend our time and energy than to be fanatical about a sporting event (such as soccer) that has no bearing on our way of life, health, economy, security or future.
At least in this country we don't routinely kill political rivals as occurs in many countrys around the world.
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 05:56:25 PM »

I didn't like either candidate but the way this campaign was run was a disgrace. It wwas all about fear and mudslinging. And I blame bush for that. This has been a hallmark of his campaign style since his run against Ann Richards for Govenor of Texas. No actual plan has been brought forth to examine for anything. And I'd really like to know how we are going to pay this record deficit down. I cannot believe that ohio went for bush, his policies have cost them many jobs and will prob cost them more. I'd like a redo with people running who actually have some plans to disscuss, so that they might be evaluated on their ability as opossed to who can scare you worse.

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:46:47 AM »

Eivindm,
You state that many europeans are "terrified" by how our presidential elections are run and by how "fanatical" some people are about them. It seems to me that, yes, some people in the states are fanatical about our elections, but to be honest with you to be intensely enthusiatic about our elections is in my opinion a much better way to spend our time and energy than to be fanatical about a sporting event (such as soccer) that has no bearing on our way of life, health, economy, security or future.

Yes, I really do agree with you on that one, but I think you didn't get me right (probably since I didn't write it very well).  It sure is a good thing that people are using much time on politics.
With "fanatical" I meant those who can only see black or white, and not shades of gray; "my candidate do only say good things and the other candidate is a real dork".  If I think about myself, I don't agree with my own party all the time (but still I think it is the best party as a whole), and I also try to figure out why other poeple mean what they do.  Guess that goes for many americans as well, but during this election I was sad to see what I think was a lot of "black/white" thinking where people thought the US would go down under if the wrong guy was elected, and as bigrog put it; a lot of "mudslinging".

At least in this country we don't routinely kill political rivals as occurs in many countrys around the world.

I really hope you didn't think I compared US to those countries.  But for a country which have had democracy since 1776 we sure expect a lot smiley
Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 08:45:17 AM »

A couple of things I have heard said and seen I would like to respond to.
My daughter said she watched the first debate and neither canidate would answer the question asked of them but kept repeteing other issues they had with the other canidate.
I don't watch the debates nor do I watch the tv ads if I can flip the channel.
Campaining in church isn't anything new. I would never think of attending any church for that very reason. It is not what churches are ment to be.
Ohio Went with the republicns because it is still farm country. I have a very dear friend who lives there, lost her job 3 years ago when it went to China and has not had any thing since except tempory stuff except for a small stint in a factory that makes batterys. She was so bomb boarded to do more work or they would ship the jobs to China she finally quit for the peace of mind the daily barrage was doing to her. Yet she still believed in Bush. Her daddy is a farmer and had brought her up as a hard core Republicn.

Why do I feel as I do yet today. Bill Clinton did Lie to America, He did have sex with a white house intern. Did that effect my life or any one elses in a negtive way. I really don't think so.
GWB did lie about the WMD and now has tried to turn attention away from that reason to invade Iraq to the bad leader thing. Did that lie effect America, You bet it did. We now have well over a thousand familys who have lost loved ones because of his lie. Many more thousands fear for their loved ones yet today and will long into the future I'm afraid. even when GWB is gone 4 years from now.
YA think Ben ladin might be caught in the near future if the troops in Iraq could join in the search for him Instead being in Iraq?

I will vote for the first canidate that stand up in front of a camera and states this is what I'm going to do for America the same speach every time and does not sling one ounce of mud at the oposing canidate.
 Americans need to  stop thinking republins and demacrats. Who is the person, What are there ideas to advance life as we know it.
Seems that no one wants to vote for some new party member.
my 2 cents.
 Cheesy Al
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 12:51:14 PM »

Please don't forget that an estimated 100,000 Iraqi civillians have also died, and continue to be murdered. No doubt Saddam is evil person, but we don't invade every country run my evil dictators. In fact, I'm ashamed to say that we often support the dictators, as we did Saddam during the Iran Iraq war.

We get the government we deserve. We will not elect someone who says what he really will do. Kerry fudged on gay marriage, saying he doesn't support it; Bush fudged on abortion, refusing to answer whether he would overturn Roe v Wade. Those are the two biggie issues, but it goes right down the line. It's all about strategy, and not about the issues that truly affect us.

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »

The first question to ask yourself is;

Why is this guy wanting the white house job anyway? Or be a senator or Representative or what ever. Which is most important to these people, the glory they get or do they really want to do what is right for this country. Surely we all know by now that they will say anything to get into the white house, or other, and then everything..... OK somethings.... will change when they get there.

If some one got up there and really cared about the country and said what they would do to make this country great proud and strong again, (yes I said "again") that person would not get elected, because what it would take to do that is not what the people want. They get elected by telling people what they want to hear and that is anything that will make their lives easier, safer, more rewarding, or just sounds like the right thing to do. But that is about as rediculuse as that message on the side of Police cars "To protect and serve". I probably need to explain that. Any law enforcement is a somewhat deterant to crime, and in a way could be considered protection. But the law can do nothing until a crime has been commited and a lot of laws have taken away peoples rights to protect themselves. No, 911 is not protection.

I use to watch CSPAN. What I heard more than "good for the people" was "good for the party".I think political parties should be outlawed. I don't want what is good for this or that party I want what is good for the people, and sometimes what is good for them ain't neccesarily what the people want.

Well I'm about to go off on a tangent and lost my original thought. I think I suffer from adult ADD. And I really don't want to start a political war here so I'll step off the soap box.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next