Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 06:41:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When it rains it pours  (Read 1379 times)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« on: March 06, 2008, 02:07:18 PM »

Hi All,

Still alive and way behind on posting to the forum.
Work has been running me ragged and I haven't even been out of state since I got back from Dallas, TX..

Permacomb came in and I am putting out the door as fast as the orders are coming in. Still have around 500 pieces.

Two things at the house had to get done. Sink and shower are much better now.

My server was at max density. And my DNS took a dive. I have repaired the DNS. The server I am still building in my spare time. Issued with DHCPD, MYSQL, and APACHE on a fresh install and a bad memorey stick have been making life interesting. I was up till 4am last night only to discover that basically Mysql 5 doesn't really read datadir in the my.cnf file. However you won't find that in any of the manuals.

I have a massive cut out tomorrow probably one of the highest I have ever done. I have a 35 foot boom lift to get me over the roof of a small condo building where a Oak Tree has a rather large hive hanging off of one of the branches. I am going to post a question I have about that in the general forum.

I will take pictures and post them provided I survive. Wink

Work has me running from Miami to PGA to Boca and home on the same day on a pretty regular basis.

I have to put supers on my hives on Sunday. And I need to prep all the permacomb I am going to be using for that.

It has been raining nicely over the past couple of days. The flow is going to be huge if the weather stays like this. Then i will have to spend my time extracting and bottling honey. I am still have to go to NY but I may end up going in April and I am going to try and do Don's (fatbeemans) organic course in April.

My wife is being pretty insistant that I set aside some time after I get done getting the neighborhood street light petitions on Saturday that I take her to Ren Fest. I think that may be a good idea. If nothing else it will keep my wife happy for a while.

Alright I have to go up and change the LNB on a Sat Dish on top of the Mellon bank building in Miami. Yesterday's attempt was stopped by the lighting and rain that decided to impede my progress.

Still alive, still breathing. Beekeeping meeting tomorrow night. Egg decorating for the neighborhood kids next weekend. Reservations for small rubber room the weekend after that.  Wink

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

Go Brendan, GO,GO, GO!!!!
Hang in there, I still look forward to hooking up with you in SLC next time you are around. My buddy should have my lexan hive done here pretty quick. Looking forward to showing you guys how it came out.
Good luck, I thought I was the busy guy round here?Huh
F

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »

My wife is being pretty insistant that I set aside some time after I get done getting the neighborhood street light petitions..... 

What might that be? Put out the lights so you can see the stars?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

My wife is being pretty insistant that I set aside some time after I get done getting the neighborhood street light petitions..... 

What might that be? Put out the lights so you can see the stars?

The neighborhood I live in needs street lights. The county requires that the owners of the property sign a petition of agreement and property rights access to install the street lights. I have to present all the petitions to the county at one time. I can't piecemeal them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »

When neighbors started moving in some of them were putting in yard lights. I just wanted to shoot them out. I like to see the night sky.

I have some land down in the desert. No lights for miles. It is amazing how bright the night time is. You can walk around down there at night with no moon and no flash light.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »

My server was at max density. And my DNS took a dive. I have repaired the DNS. The server I am still building in my spare time. Issued with DHCPD, MYSQL, and APACHE on a fresh install and a bad memorey stick have been making life interesting. I was up till 4am last night only to discover that basically Mysql 5 doesn't really read datadir in the my.cnf file. However you won't find that in any of the manuals.

What did you just say??? cheesy cheesy
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »

Sad thing is, I do know what he said  shocked

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »

Ah yes my run on geek speak.

I have a computer at home that runs as a webserver, brendhanhorne.com. I also run my DNS  on it Domain Name System. That way you can type brendhanhorne.com and connect to the webserver part of the computer. If the DNS doesn't work you would have to type the numbered ip address I have which is no fun unless you like remembering numbers. I had issues with the DNS. They have been fixed.

The hard drive on the computer is full. ie no more room for p0rn, I mean pictures of cutouts. Wink

I am building a new server. With a 250 gig hard drive. Not the biggest out there but for my webserver it is plenty. I tend to build my own servers. In this case However I had a IBM NetVista that was missing a power supply. I ordered a power supply and installed it. Since I don't sit in front of my webserver this computer would be fine. I put some memorey sticks (RAM) in it. I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.3 which is the operating system I use (no money for Bill Gates, suck it windoze). One of the memorey sticks was bad and made the initial install of the software a pain in the butt. Replacement of the memorey stick solved that issue.

I have several other computers at home. All of which connect to the internet through this server making my server the "gateway" to the internet for all the other computers. The server has to give each computer an address. It does this with something called DHCP on the server side it is called DHCPD, the client side it is just DHCP.  However I had a problem getting an internal computer to get out onto the internet. Remember I mentioned DNS earlier. Well I needed to point the internal computers toward my isp's nameservers. So I had to modify a file with a new set of ips to get it to point to the nameservers.

Apache is the program that runs the webserver. So when you type brendhanhorne.com you see something. DNS points you toward my webserver. Apache let's you see the stuff on the server. Apache took some tweaking because I can't just copy all the same files from the current server. Because having two exactly alike would cause a conflict. So I had to modify so I could test it on the internal network.

Mysql is a databse program. When you have lots of information or things you want to keep organized you use a database. Think of it like a file cabinet with tabs. The Mysql program has some files that guide it on where it stores information. One of them is a file called my.cnf. This is a configuration file that Mysql reads when the program starts. The problem is that it wasn't being fully read. I had to setup commands in other files. I have patched it together in a way it will work but there is still some tweaking I need to do.

I may have just bored everyone on the forums to tears with an english translation of the geek speak paragraph. But buzzbee asked. Where is Robo to decipher this when I need him.
Smiley

Sincerely,
Brendhan

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:47:03 AM »

My wife is being pretty insistant that I set aside some time after I get done getting the neighborhood street light petitions on Saturday that I take her to Ren Fest.
Maybe you'll see my cousin - he's a jouster. He quit his "real" job a few years back and now travels the country from one RenFaire to another, living in a tent (or his truck). I thought maybe he'd give it up last winter when he broke both arms in a fall, but he went right back at it. You can tell your wife that putting a ladder on the cab of your truck in order to get a swarm isn't half as crazy as getting knocked off a horse while riding at full gallop and holding a lance...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next