Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 08:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And then there was snow!!!  (Read 2066 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: April 19, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »

Go figure.  Yesterday was the coldest day, and the wind was what did it.  It was windy, we are not in a windy climate, so when there is wind, not nice.  It was so cold, that I tried to go outside a couple of times, but nope, chilled to the bone, so I stayed inside.  How boring is that?

Got up this morning and it was really cold still, sitting at 0C (32F), far cry from the warmer temperatures we have been having. And eeks!!!  There was a whisper of snow on the ground, now that is not nice.  The skies are slightly overcast, I can see the sun might come out.  Our weather station is calling for sun and cloud for the next 4 days.  Who knows what that will bring. 

Now, I have a little concern about chilled brood.  We will see, the bees are strong, I am hoping that there is enough bees to cover the brood, because last time I looked, about 10 days ago, there was brood like there was not tomorrow.  Time will tell this tale.  If there is no chilled brood, then I know the colonies are more strong that I could imagine, that meaning that there is so many bees that the brood has been kept warm.  We will see, in just a very short few days.  Beautiful day in our interesting and great lives.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »

Cindi I was wondering if your weather is as whacky as mine!  Just had a snow shower here, now it's r/s mix. I am worried bout my girls..I just put em in last Sat when it was 80.  They have only had a couple of good days to gather pollen but I have been feeding (your baggie method Wink )  Would they have stored enough to eat in this short time?  Sposed to warm up tomorrow a bit & better as the week goes on.   Have a wonderful day..going to spend the afernoon/eve w/family at my Brothers for BBQ  huh
Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »

got it too.  what a spring  sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »

Man, Cindi, forget the bees, how's Whoppo?Huh grin Kiss

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:59:52 PM »

it is snowing and sticking right now.  not that i expect it to last, but it's kind of depressing.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »

Jody, when we hived our package bees at our beekeeping courses, we were instructed to fed the bees for awhile.  In our area, and yours is similar, there is not enough food around for the bees, especially when we can have such nasty weather that is so unpredicatable.  My advice to you is to feed them for about 6 weeks.  They will need lots of food because they are drawing foundation.  I don't imagine that you have any drawn foundation that you are giving them, so you must feed.  Period.  Feed those bees, you will be surprised how much they consume while drawing foundation and storing it to eat.  Important.  I would also be feeding them pollen patty supplement, they cannot get out to get pollen when our weather is bad either and they must have protein for the hypopharyngeal glands to produce royal jelly that they mix with honey/carbohydrate to feed the brood.  No pollen, no royal jelly can be produced.  They can live for some time off stored fat, but that does not last forever.  Hope this may give you a little bit of help here.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day,  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »

my fruit crop is probably ruined.  now we have to watch the berries.  this weather just sucks!

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:40 PM »

it is snowing and sticking right now.  not that i expect it to last, but it's kind of depressing.

Two sides of Mother Nature. She ain't always nice, is she?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »

i guess frozen fruit trees doesn't compare to a hurricane or two  smiley

wonder what i'll do with the new juicer i just purchased?

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »

Kathy, I wouldn't worry too much about the fruit trees.  I think that they will survive, time will tell that tale, I am hoping for you.  Our weather is still cold, still.  I was outside working yesterday, intermittent cloud sun, when the sun broke through for short periods, I had to take off my vests and jacket, put them back on and off all day I was working.  Go figure.  The bees didn't seem to mind though.  BUT.....they didn't come out of their house until about 2:00 and then for only about 2 hours.  They are smart, they stayed in the tropics.....

About your juicer, hee, hee.  You will still find stuff to juice, never fear about that.  Wait until the blackberries mature, I know you got those, don't we all, hee, hee?  Have an awesome and wonderful day, Cindi

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »

hope you are right.  they are starting to bloom now. late this year because of the weather.  night before last we were well below freezing, but may have been saved by the snow.  it stayed on the trees overnight.  yesterday, hard hail.  this morning a bit warmer, but snow again.

not a pretty picture for fruit trees.  the berries were so far behind that they had not started to bloom yet.  i think they may be ok.

i live for the blackberries!!!  they go in everything but the soup   grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
Janemma
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »

I am grateful I don't have my bees yet!  Some were due to arrive Saturday but mine were delayed until May 10th!  We are in the midst of a Winter Storm - it started Friday and hasn't stopped - no school today or tomorrow - snow days at the end of April!  So much snow the school buses can't run and the wind chill is -20c!!!!!  crazy crazy weather!!! 

I am glad I am not starting my beekeeping adventures in this weather and I am just hoping this snow and cold is gone in three weeks when my bees arrive!!! 

My husband spent the weekend job/ house hunting in Georgia!!!  I think he's had enough of Alberta winters.

ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »

Hey,

Sounds familiar here in SK. Did finally have one nice day a couple ago so could pull out follower boards and fill in-hive feeders with syrup. But now has degenerated into maybe low single digits during day. Looks like will stay till next week.

Hope the ground doesn't freeze again but at least none of the fruit trees are ready to bud never mind bloom as been steady cold since Oct. No sign of dandelions even yet.

But on the positive side we did miss the 12 in. snowstorm AB got.

Lucky as moved guinea's and year old layers to new home before weather closed in again and the girls didn't miss a beat laying which was a surprise as thought they would go 'off' after being moved in cardboard boxes. By sheer luck ended up w/4 bleep (correct?) and four hen guinea's. Chicks coming today so waiting around for the call.

Think in a week the chickens will be used to new home so think I will catch guinea's daily and leave in pen for another 2 weeks or so then keep hens back and turn every one else loose and think the guinea bleep will come back to the hens to roost. Thinking of a trap pen inside of main pen along the wire as they seem to be like trout that they circle the edge when i go in so then can run them into trap pen and easier to separate leaver's from go-er's and then was thinking of chasing the guinea's into coop at dusk then leave pen open for returnees. Maybe will work    lol

2 separate pens and coops would be ideal but not available and not my place so don't feel like building. Hope the guinea's will lay as then can raise some in coop like chickens and then they are supposed to come to coop like chickens do esp. if can get a broody hen to hatch and train them.

If it ever warms up will build 2 more TBH's as promised acreage owner would leave one hive there so thinking of MK III version. Had a little problem w/mold so will have to incorporate a little bit of top ventilation holes between the top of the bars and the insul on top cover and prob. mesh in w/window screen so nothing will invade. Figure one spare and one more nuc. Transfer the year old hive to the new version hive and take when I leave in fall. So put nuc in MK I to leave for him. Modify w/more ventilation.

Waiting .... forever waiting this spring    lol

cheers

peter

Janemma
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »

But on the positive side we did miss the 12 in. snowstorm AB got.

Yep and it's STILL snowing here Sad  The stupid storm went full circle on us and is continuing - tomorrow may be the third snow day of the week with school buses still not running and we may get 40 cm's of snow before it ends Sad  crazy CRAZY weather.....................they say there is another snow system coming in from the Rockies that could hit Friday and average temperatures won't arrive until at least May.....

I am soooooooo DONE with Winter!!!!  50km wind gusts bringing -20 windchills again today.  My dogs and my pig are NOT happy Sad 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next