Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 01, 2014, 03:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's raining cats and dogs!  (Read 1294 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:01 PM »

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station (I'm an amateur weather geek).  We've been having a snow to rainstorm last night and today - it snowed about 3" last night, but the rain today has washed it all away.  All told up til this moment we've had 2.56" so far.  Here's a photo of the screen taken about five minutes ago - note the rain rate of 4.80" per hour  shocked  I love the message across the bottom, I think it's got to be above 1" per hour to see it.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »

I got my wife something similar for Christmas.  Not as many bells and whistles but most of the same info.  Batteries when out during a rain storm--thought she was gonna go bonkers--wanted me to go out and change the batteries right then.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:36:40 PM »

Hey reinbeau, thats a pretty cool gadget you have there!
Makes me wanna get one too!
 Down here, during the storm times we have a scanner that lets us listen to the weather spotters. They give a lot better information than the tv stations ever could.(3 local channels and they all say different things about the same storm systems).
 Brian, did you change the batteries then?
your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »

oregon scientific makes wind, rain, temp, pressure, station.  it is solar powered (brian) so that you don't have to change the batteries in anything other than the main unit.  it's a pretty handy gadget, but it does not have a sense of humor like reinbeaus sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:44 AM »

Not bragging, but this isn't an inexpensive unit, it's wireless, the outside data gatherer is solar powered, the rain gauge is self-tipping, the anemometer is up on a 25-30' tree stump we left up for it.  It feeds a datalogger that's attached to the computer.  One of these days I'll figure out how to get the data to upload to the Weather Underground, my favorite page for local info.  I can keep a pinpoint eye on that radar and know exactly when something is going to come through.  I do listen to the weather dweebs on TV, but sometimes the data I'm seeing locally just doesn't correspond with that they're saying.....imagine that!  cheesy

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »

There are a few decent weather stations that are reasonably priced now a days.

I picked up one of these a Sam's Club for $99 last year.
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2317/index.php
(don't be fooled by the "retail" price they show)

What I like about it is that although it is capable of being wireless,  I can hard wire it with regular RJ11 phone wire and not worry about batteries (which I did).

I don't use their software because it is Windoze,  but there are open source programs that provide an interface to the station.   I have it grabbing all the data every 5 minutes and dumping it to a MySql database.   Haven't got around to writing code to parse the data and make some nice charts, but it is on my todo list tongue

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »

ummm, but does any of you actually use this equipment(information), say...for agricultural purposes or are you just excited about knowing the weather conditions at any given moment. If so, how come you don't build a weather house and equip yourself with analog instruments and stuff.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »

ummm, but does any of you actually use this equipment(information), say...for agricultural purposes or are you just excited about knowing the weather conditions at any given moment. If so, how come you don't build a weather house and equip yourself with analog instruments and stuff.

I'd love one just to be excited about the weather, perhaps when the big rebate check comes.  It is just too easy to set these up and get pretty accurate weather so easy.  Right now, if I want to know the rainfall rate, I just have to pull the curtains back, then I tell my wife that "its raining cats and dogs".

Rick

Rick
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »

I like to know how much rain we've received, daily, weekly, monthly, etc. for my gardens.  I have a whole weather house, Mici, right here in front of me!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next