Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 03:16:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ins and outs of getting older  (Read 1207 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: October 11, 2011, 01:06:21 AM »

I'm 53 and many of you are thinking, my God he's old and many thinking I wish I was 53 again. I'm a big Youtube watcher, enjoying videos of people having amazing adventures and just good times, albeit mostly younger people.

By younger, I still get "sticker shock" every time I see someone who says their 35 and born in 1976 (my high-school grad year) and these arn't kids, far from it, I remember being 30 but I do remember looking a lot better for 30 then most of them do - it is a weird concept.

When you sign up to a website where they ask the year you were born and you need to scroll to the second or third page - I think I'd rather just type in the year honestly. And WHY do websites with age counters start at born in 2011??? No wonder I'm on page three.

I know life has give and takes, everything cycles, we have lean years and bountiful years. The technology today we have is amazing. I see Oovoo.com has free video chat for 3 to 12 (trial offer on the 12) people video chatting and I've watched videos, it is very nice. I look back, my parents went from radio to TV and it was amazing in its day. I look at my life and saw the birth of the Internet and see where it has grown. Just imagine the teens of today and what they may see and experience.

Of course, again being cyclical, there are few jobs. 2 years ago I'd have to beg to find someone to shovel snow, now there is a line and not young kids, but young and not so young adults. I know the right thing is to hire the adult, it's trickle down ecconomics, he's likely feeding a family, a couple of kids will blow it on some X-box toy. Sure both earn it, but who needs it.

I just wonder, is it always better to be younger, and has that always been the case? Today's world has cool toys, magically we chat with no thought of a decade or two ago. Interestingly I worked with a fellow, very conservative except when it came to drinking, then he was quite Liberal (good bumper sticker) but he says to this day he wants to go back to the 60s - he said life was great. Now, he's about 10 years older than me, I remember the 60's as a preteen and historically it seemed to be a decade of turmoil in this country - I'm not sure what 60's he's taking about, but it isn't the on I've watched on PBS.

So, would you give up your life experiences for another shot today (and pick the age you'd like to be today) I really think I'd like to give highschool anther shot - of course the caveat is you can NOT take your knowledge and experiences back with you. The old "If I knew then what I know now" is out of the equation. The reason I'd want to be a HS student, I think they are going to enter into a new age - times will be good again and they seem to have social existence in their blood - Facebook, Youtube, every outlet to communicate, they have a much LARGER pool to draw relations, friendships, friends from. You aren't out-casted as many were in the past and if you are you make it to Dr. Phil and the school brings in guidance councilors and therapists to fight the violence. Today bullying, gay outing, any topic where some poor kid tragically took his life and it becomes a movement. Hatred will never stop, hopefully tolerance will grow.

But I'd like a second shot, I think we're given one, and more importantly at a particular point in time, because that is what we are meant to handle and grow with. Success is a very personal thing, we all measure it differently.

Even if it was only a video, sent back in time from the future - I'd love to see the imagination of man and what we create. I'm happy seeing the wonders we have done in a century and the amazing things done before that with little technology and just observation. You get the argument from the hard fast science crowd that all things can be explained scientifically if given enough information. Most objects in science react according to LAWS of science and the rest react to the principles of science. They are always looking for the single lined equation that explains the theory of ONE.

The interesting note is that they never mention WHO created these LAWS just who discovered them. Telling some people that God made such laws so that stuff wouldn't just float around, bump into each other and go splat isn't good enough. As a firm believer that the Bible is ONE of Man's user manuals and that God made many just on our planet and likely trillions throughout the Universe, I don't believe such a vast space would be thrown up there just as the necessary things to keep our planet livable. Surely, God Created Man, but.... who and where else did he create.

I added that because I think in the next few generations, answers to such questions will be answered, stunning answers that might prove both sides of man's existence were right on how we got here. Can't anyone else say that the opening lines of Genesis sounds an awful like a God's Big Bang - sometimes I swear, people are a lot closer in their thinking that they'll ever know. Yep, I'd like to be there when we find out the truth, and I do not believe 12-21-12 has anything to do with it, unless that Mayan Calendar date is a positive thing. Every generation sees the Rapture in their life time, it's been that way for 2000 years. Science says it is just the date when our Solar System reaches it rotational restart with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy - sort of midnight switching from pm to am and starting another trip around space for 25000 or so years. Those Mayan's sure were smart - I couldn't tell you how long a years was I started as a child and worked on it all my life. Of course, if aliens intervened I surely could come up with some really cool math for you Smiley

Wanna be young again??? If so, how old??? and  why?Huh

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:03:27 AM »

The only way it would be an advantage is if I got to take the social competence and wisdom I developed over the years, but then I wouldn't really be young... I'd just be an old person in a young body...  but then I just feel like a young person in a moderately old body now...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:04:21 AM »

I'm 53 and many of you are thinking, my God he's old and many thinking I wish I was 53 again. I'm a big Youtube watcher, enjoying videos of people having amazing adventures and just good times, albeit mostly younger people.

I have been keeping bee longer then that. Got bees in 1957 WOW 54 years must be getting OLD Just my $0.02

lau lau lau

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:40:46 PM by Jim 134 » Logged

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »

Without being able to 'take back what I know now', absolutely not. There is no way I would want to relive my stupid HS years. I should have been killed at least on more than one occasion and I wouldnt want to play the odds that whatever guardian angel was looking over me then may not be the same one on a second try. Only if I could take back some of the knowledge gained in my later years would I even consider it.
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »

Well ........
That part about not taking the knowledge with you would slow or stop me.  But, (59 here) if anything I would go back to when I got disabled and go to college and become a PA.  Shoulda...shoulda.  BUT.  I am happy with my life, just wish I didn't hurt so much all the time.  Pain messes with the head.  Was too much anger then

Taking a trip down nostalgia road though, I fondly remember....
Crawling in my parents bed to watch Alan Shepard ride the Redstone into suborbital space.  I remember being at the bike stand when John Glen was orbiting and wondering if I could see him pass over.

I remember watching on our (we bought for the event) new 13" color tv ($300 back then) man step out of the lunar lander and step on the surface of the moon.  I think that has been Man's greatest endeavor in my lifetime.  Only now does the bravery come into view.

I remember Woodstock, I remember the riots at the Democratic National convention in Chicago.

I remember seeing a grainy color TV in a store window and bunches of folks standing around watching it.

Oh and the first computers.....advertised on TV.  Most of us had no idea what the heck it was.  What do you do with it.

I remember the Berlin wall being built, and being torn down.

It has been a great ride, and I sure don't want to miss any of it.  I will stay where I am, I am ready to move on to my next life.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
affreux
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »

If I could take back the wisdom to keep in touch with all you meet in life I would go back. I miss people from my life and wish I could see and talk with.  I do wish I could extend my time here for I would love to see where the language ends up.  I mean with all the texting and shorting of words how is english to survive?  Of course, half the people don't know the difference now of; There/Their, Your/You're, so I don't think it will improve.  Regress to Spanglish I guess.

Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »

I just wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then.  Then it would all be new to me again.

I had fun!
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

No way do I want to do it all over again. I could maybe do worse that I did?  rolleyes I had some fun made mistakes, now will let them lay. tongue
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »

Don't want to do any of it over again, but wish I had the younger looking body back grin
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »

Don't want to do any of it over again, but wish I had the younger looking body back grin

I would be happy with a body that just feels better, this one is letting me down.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »

Why?
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »

OK I guess I am more in line with JackM. Just wish I felt stronger.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

don't think i'd want to do it all over again.  there were some rough times, but it all worked out.  might not all work out if i tried to do it again!  there are things about the old days i miss.  wish i didn't have to lock my door every time i went out....stuff like that....

i'm glad to be where i am.  if it all goes to crap, i know how to take care of myself.  if it all goes to crap and i die, i can honestly say it's been a good life  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next