Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 03, 2014, 03:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Brewing  (Read 3465 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: January 20, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

Anybody here making any home brew?
I have a mead fermenting right now,along with grape and banana wine.
This is my first adventure into brewing and has been fun so far. can't wait to get a finished sample.
  I am contemplating home brewing a little beer just to try it.  grin
Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »

I've been brewing one or two batches of beer a month since May, I really like it!

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »

Moonshae,
Do you use a kegging sysytem or straight to bottles?
the kid
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

banana wine ,,,,,,    been thinking of another  batch of something ...   how much bannana for a 2 gal batch ,,,,   want to try befor I go for 5 gals   ,,,   
the kid
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:55:17 PM »

We used 15 lbs. for a 5 gallon batch. we cut them into slices and boiled them in the water with 10 lbs of sugar inside a mesh bag.Pulled the bag and squeezed out all the remaining juice we could.we also boiled a couple tea bags for  the tannins.We added acid blend and a couple tbsps of yeast energizer and pitched Montrachet yeast.
It looked like grey dishwater for a couple of days but after it fermented for a while it turned a nice yellow color.Pectin enzyme may help for it to clear better but I've got time to wait for this one.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »

Ken, eeeks!!!  I made some dandelion wine last May.  Actually, it was dandelion flowers, mixed with blackberry and cherry juice.  I had brewed it, racked it and racked it again.  It is done, beautiful and clear, it is a golden amberish colour and horrible!!!!!  I don't think that I can drink it.  I gave my Sister a taste and she marvelled at it.  She tasted and tasted and tasted, trying to ascertain what flavours were in it.  She couldn't pick any particular flavour, even though she knew the ingredients.  She totally loved it, but said that it was something one would have to sip every so slowly.  I only had a few sips and man did it pack a punch!!!  Eeeks.

I can only liken this hideous drink to some kind of scotch or strange rye.  I think it will probably just sit in the bottles until I can figure out what to do with it.  Let me tell you, it is simply beautiful to the eye, but oh so ucky to the tastebud, and oooh, that kind of burning in the throat, like Drambuie!!!!!  Best of a great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:57:29 PM »

Cindi, seems like your sister is a good candidate to give the wine to. grin  Its amazing how what we like someone abhors, and vice versa.

I like sweet wines, JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »

You know what they say Cindi?
 If it tastes good, its bad for you,...If it tastes bad, its good for you!!
 Your Sis should meet my friend Paul!..I've observed that he pretty much likes ANYTHING with alcohol!..His wife brought over a bottle of Pomegranate vodka..Tasted like poisonous cough medicine!!!!..Paul thought it was GREAT!!...Every time I'd make a drink that tasted crappy, I'd let Paul taste it...and he always finished it!!...And then say"That was darn good!"..He even liked absinthe!!
your friend,
john

nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »

Absinthe can be good if you get some one who KNOWS how to make it.

though I wouldn't know about any of this stuff..  rolleyes *cough cough*

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »

Yep, I think that she is going to wind up with the bottles, unless it gets different with age, maybe it will taste better, one day.  Now absinthe, I think I may have tried that many moons ago, if my memory serves, it tastes somewhat like the dandelion demon that I brewed.  Beautiful day and greatest of life. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »

i ahve been homebrewing for several years now and currently have a 2 gallon batch of mead going in the kitchen,  i love my home brew but the price of malt and hops is getting out of hand around here!

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »

1frozenhillbilly,
I'm not quite ready to venture out with my own beer recipe yet. I will probably try one of the kit beers first unless I could taste a beer from someones recipe.Have you made mead before? Ours has a bit of a "Hot" taste that I've been told should age out in the bottles.

Cindi:
Maybe aging will work for your dandelion wine!!(I almost said maybe aging would work for you too! Wink)
But noone wants to go down that road cheesy cheesy.                               Ken
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

Ken, OK, you are funneeeee, you make me laugh, that squeeky little inside laugh.  Best of a great day, by the way, I actually AM getting better with age,  tongue Smiley Smiley  Cindi

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »

I started this year as well w/ my first mead. Which led to my first batch of red wine. Now I have mead, sangiovese and a malbec in the secondary. i made arrangments w/ a local vendor for fresh chilean juice in May when it become s available. Beer is next. I'll start w/ a kit i believe. The mead was a little weak and I will adjust the recipe for next year. The wine was pretty tasy but still young and needs aging.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:08:54 AM »

Ok, John reminded me of something that happened a very long time ago. You see, this is a cheese story. My Dad had bought the smelliest, stinkiest cheese this one time, that none of us could get past our nostrils. The cheese smelled way worse than say,............your butt grin. Anyway, whenever someone would come over we would tell them about this fantastic cheese, that they just had to try! grin grin. The looks on people's faces when they got a whiff of this cheese was just priceless! We had no takers, until..... This one odd friend of my Dads, known to eat just about anything. We set the whole thing up played it up real good, how great the cheese was and all, and the guy not only got it past his nose, but he liked it! Go figure. We were dying with laughter and shock. Needless to say, my Dad's friend left with the stinky cheese. Ya'll have a great night,

Sincerely not eatin' that cheese, JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:34:42 AM »

I started my first home brew attemt of "Wildflower" Mead that my wife got me in a kit.  I thought mead would be pretty light in color but mine's almost a ruby color now.  It turned almost an amber color right before I racked it to the second carboy, but the next day it was red.  Tasted a sample and it seems fine.  There are these little white bubbles on top now too but the airlock quit bubbling before I racked it (like the instructions said to do).  Think I did something wrong?  Next to bees I think homebrewing has become one of my most favorite hobbies!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »

some meads turn reddish and others look like white wine or yellow in color/ The bubbles need to be expelled before bottling by vigorous shaking. Otherwise you need to put it into champagne bottles or beer bottles to prevent the gas from exploding a normal bottle. I have also been told, mead gets much better w/ aging. I made three gallons and put six bottles awy for a long time w/ some red wine. I hope to age them for a year plus.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

I think you guys that brew should post some pictures so we can see your setups. I believe some of you have but anyway would like to see more pics of your setups.

Sincerely, JP

and

Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:04 PM »

Man, I really need a new digital camera.  We lost ours down in Oregon while visiting my inlaws over christmas.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

buzzbee,  my second attempt at brewing was fireweed mead when i lived in alaska,  the first couple of months after bottling, i find most meads i make a little off flavor but they do mellow out after a while,  the longer they age the better.  good yeast and your flavor balancers are important,  i use a very simple recipe from a book i bought when i started, i cant remember the title but if you check with your home brew supply you cant miss the bright orange cover( it was borrowed several years ago) if you have a good yeast and a good honey you cant miss with a mead!   as to kits i never used one,  used the complete joy of home brewing to come up with a simple recipe  that works for me and been tweaking it every since   it's all fun and to quote the author of the complete jopy "don't worry, relax and have a homebrew"

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next