Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 12:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hive in a jar super  (Read 3700 times)
Kimbrell
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »

I haven't been able to find any plans for this type of super.  I can probably figure out most of it for myself; but I sure would like to see some pictures of the base without the jars on it.
JordanM
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »

asprine will you please check your PM's and PM me back.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 10:10:10 PM »

hey i was thinkin  take some melted wax put it in bottom of jar  stick in starter strip  wax hardens starter strip hangs down in middle of jar .will this work?

Just put a little melted wax in the bottom of the jar, it becomes the top when inverted on the board, the bees will take it from there.  All they really need is something to start from--a slight ring is all that's necessary.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

Well my son and I went out to figure out how to get teh jars in the hive. I first cut the plywood to fit in like the supers like the frames do but I found that would allow the super to be completly open up to the wood. We cut another one that would fit down on top of the deep so the super could fit around it. We cut nine holes, 9 quart jars, into the wood. I found Im not very good at cutting a perfect hole. Some jars fit tight some were kind of loose so I put the screw donw lid on the other side and it tightened up the jar. Now all we have to do is wait for the bees to get up to strength and put the jars on. Ill take some pictures and once I can figure out how to post the pictures Ill put them in this thread.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »

Very good Shawn. I have mine built but I am waiting to place it on a hive. Don't know why, but waiting. Did you use wide mouth jars? If you use a 3 3/8" hole saw they will fit nicely.

Good luck and keep us updated, Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »

I just used the regular jars and had to use a jig saw to cut the holes. Ill let you know how they come out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next