Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 08:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates from the swamp(ed)  (Read 2929 times)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

Hi All,

I have been a bit slow in posting. I have been swamped with work. I have been running between Salt Lake, New York, and home. I may also run to Dallas. Everything is a bit hectic.
I have cutouts waiting to be done and bees at home that need to expand.

The TSA hasn't put me on the no fly list yet. My congressman has not responded to my email.

I have been in communication with John on permacomb. I need some desperately. I also need to win the lottery.

I am setting up the Intro to beekeeping course for the Palm Beach County Beekeepers. I am also considering a run for the presidency of the association next year.

I am still reading on Varroa everything I can find. But I haven't seen any in my hives. I nice bit of irony there.

In my readings I found an article that said bees don't make hexagons for comb, they make circles. Since the wax is soft the shape you get is when you press circles together. I found out this is true. I have a cool pdf on that i will need to post later.

The PBC Beekeepers has to get ready for the fair also. So we have been running full speed and the membership is still climbing.

The job, the association, the permacomb, the cold weather, the cut outs, and somewhere in there is the wife.

I also in my transforming myself to a redneck have added a truck tool box that fits in the bed of my truck.

If country music starts coming out of the radio I am ruined.

However I have developed a nasty habit of blasting Pavarotti everytime one of those bassers is next to me. Neesun Dorma!

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »

your reps have been on holiday smiley.  if you get no response, use snail mail.  someone actually has to handle the thing that way.  no hitting the delete button.

did your bees freeze?

i just watched Transformers.  if your truck spontaneously begins to play country music, i suggest you abandon it with all haste until you can determine it's intent.

also watch for mysterious appearance of gun racks, slaughter grills, and NRA stickers.  the appearance of a front end winch is not a bad thing.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »

Brendhan, oooooh, you are a busy man, take care of yourself, and your wife.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:43:25 AM »

In my readings I found an article that said bees don't make hexagons for comb, they make circles. Since the wax is soft the shape you get is when you press circles together. I found out this is true. I have a cool pdf on that i will need to post later.

I thought everybody knew that?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »

I thought everybody knew that?

Jerry, I never knew that, never heard of it before and I have done alot of studying over the course of three years, and I mean alot.  I would love to read that article that Brendhan is going to bring on, should be a very interesting read.  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »

Go to your hives. Pull out some comb and really look close. The cells are more round than hexagonal. I never thought of them as being anything but round. The hexagon look is more optical illusion. Find a bunch of round things the same size, bottle caps, pipes, and arrange them the way honey comb is and step back from it. It will look hexagon-ish.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

Jerry, I don't get what you are saying.  I have looked very very closely at the cells, many times.  Especially when I was doing that cell measuring thing a couple of months ago.  The cells have squared edges, they are not round.  They are flattish looking, so I really don't understand why you are saying they are round  huh  Have a fantastic day, Cindi

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »

I borrowed this picture from Michael Bush's web sight. Click on it to enlarge and then look at the cells on top right in the middle. Those don't look round-y-er to you? Then go ahaed and look at all the cells. Yes some of them look stretched out and have flat looking sides, but look where the three walls come together. They are not sharp clean corners. They are rounded.   

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/47mmComb.JPG

Jerry

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »

Jerry, ha!!!  You are something else, and thank you, you have enlightened my day.  I have indeed looked much more closely, and yes-sir-ee, those cells certainly are more round than hexagon.  It is the was that fills in the area around the cells that gives the appearance of hexagon.  Yea!!!  Learned something more this day, that is a great and wonderful thing.  Thank you for taking that time to enlighten just another soul.  Have a fantastic day, and keep me a'learnin'.  Cindi

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »

i think the hexagon illusion is from the way the cells are placed.  if they were in straight lines, they would look more round-y-er  Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »

So I was thinking about how paper wasp build nest. How they collect wood fibers, mix it with water, chew it all up into paper mulch then place it bit by bit in the nest. I knew where there was one from this past summer and went out to get it. Upon examining it, it appears that when they first make the cells they are really hexagonal. The corners are shape angles.... what would that be 120 degree?... and the walls are flat. Looks no where near round. But then where they have raised young it appears round. Probably from the cocoons.

Jerry

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »

I tried to get pictures but the only camera that's working doesn't focus very well. It is too blurry to see the corners.

Jerry

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »

http://www.beekeeperspbc.com/files/Combs_2004.pdf

The article on wax properties.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

Hey Jerry!
  Thats amazing!! I always thought they were hex too, but after looking at the link you sent i was really surprised!! I even had my son come take a look!

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »

Jerry, you have gone above and beyond, that is very interesting about the paper wasps.  I am going to be checking out different wasps for the look of their cells next summer, just for the fun of it.  Beautiful day.  Cindi

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

I thought everybody knew that the combs look hexagonal because of the extra wax in the spaces between the circles.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:22:16 AM »

I thought everybody knew that the combs look hexagonal because of the extra wax in the spaces between the circles.

Brian, now that is interesting, Jerry thought the same thing too.  I did not know this until this thread.  I feel rather dumb right now sitting here, maybe this was something that I just overlooked in my views of the comb for three years.  But now, everytime that I look at the comb picture, all I see is circular cells with the extra wax making them look hexagonal.

Of course they are round.  Duh  shocked tongue.   How could bees comfortably fit into a cell that had square edges?  Guess plain and simply, I never thought about it.  Guess I thought the cocoons made the cells round.  Nope, not true.  I just never thought about the shape of the inside of a cell.

Well, all I can say is....yes, I have learned something new, and I am an enlightened woman because of this lesson I should have learned during the first few lessons with the bees and beekeeping.

So, to all you new beekeepers that haven't learned this lesson yet.   The cells are round, it is the wax that is filled in between the circles gives the appearance of the hexegon.  Yea!!!!  Life is living, life is learning.  Best of a wonderful day, Cindi

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

Go to your hives. Pull out some comb and really look close. The cells are more round than hexagonal. I never thought of them as being anything but round. The hexagon look is more optical illusion. Find a bunch of round things the same size, bottle caps, pipes, and arrange them the way honey comb is and step back from it. It will look hexagon-ish.

Remember your an alien. The rest of us never noticed. I was way too impressed w/ the hexagon shape anyways!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »

What I like is that I learned something.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »

Remember your an alien. The rest of us never noticed. I was way too impressed w/ the hexagon shape anyways!

I knew it. Should have known seeing things differently was a sure sign of alienism.

Jerry

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:31 AM »

Interesting!! Very interesting!!

Annette
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 08:03:48 AM »

your reps have been on holiday smiley.  if you get no response, use snail mail.  someone actually has to handle the thing that way.  no hitting the delete button.

did your bees freeze?

i just watched Transformers.  if your truck spontaneously begins to play country music, i suggest you abandon it with all haste until you can determine it's intent.

also watch for mysterious appearance of gun racks, slaughter grills, and NRA stickers.  the appearance of a front end winch is not a bad thing.

If you notice the appearance of a front end wench, then it is a bad thing and you will soon be injured badly by your wife. shocked

Rick
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next