Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 10:46:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleep patterns  (Read 2357 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: December 23, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »

Jerry, I didn't want to continue discussing sleep in the TV forum so I brought it down here.

I usually go to bed early, 9:30 at the latest, and I can fall asleep like a dead man (ok, woman) after reading for a bit, but if I wake up, it's all over, the brain goes into overdrive and I can drive myself crazy.  I'm not usually a worrier but if something's up in life the middle of the night is when it'll get me.  Then I'll fall asleep after two or three hours of tossing only to have the darned alarm wake me up 45 minutes later  angry

I don't seem to need much more than six hours, though.  If I can make it to 4 am I'm all set.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »

Oh yeah. The almost asleep.... that wonderful moment when the body and mind is relaxed and you are drifting on a cloud and.... Something pulls you back to the real world. That is when it is over for me for a while. I then might as well get up and do something other wise I am just gonna lay there with my mind wandering aimlessly all over the place.

What is really pitiful is doing something on this computer until your eyes can't stay open, stumble to the bed, lay down, and POP  shocked your eyes are open and you can't sleep.

OH!!! Once I took a double dose of night-tall... how ever it is spelled.... and didn't sleep a wink. And night quil keeps me awake. 

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »

Hey guys,
I have had a lot of sleepness nights myself. I still don't sleep all night but I do much better.
If i have a glass of hot tea with a teaspoon of honey(Or just a teaspoon of honey I do a little better.
However,one evening when wandering the aisles at the cvs pharmacy,in the vitamin section I came across melatonin tablets. I take one just before lying down and my time of rest is excellent. My wife says the raspy snoring I would do as I just went to sleep is virtually gone. I rest much better but still sleep only 6 to 7 hours which I feel is enough.It's much better than waking up over and over.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:46:51 PM »

melatonin is excellent!  you get past the vivid dreams after a few days and you just get nice sleep.  no dopey feeling the next day.  it's natural.  it works.  that, and a good book before bed and i sleep great!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:15 PM »

I bet that would keep me awake

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »

Sleep is one area that I do not have a problem. When my head hits the pillow, my eyes close and I am out like a light. I always wake up about 15 minutes before the alarm. I have to get up early even on the weekend because when I wake up my mind starts racing and I have to get up. I can rarely sleep late on the weekend.

I also find that if I spend a little quality time in my chair before I go to bed, I feel more rested when I get up the next morning. Quality time is reading, watching TV, or surfing Beemaster.com.

I generally need 5 to 7 hours of sleep. The extra hours come from going to bed earlier, not sleeping later.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »

jerrymac, melatonin is the sleep regulating hormone that our bodies produce.  as we get older, we produce less of it.  travel and other things can also interfere with production.  it's really helpful when you travel thorough different time zone.  helps you get your clock back in order.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 10:49:15 PM »

I have no problems sleeping. I like to get around 8 hours but I can function on 4 hours.

However there is nothing wrong just crashing in bed early and waking up late once in a while. Every once in a while I will do 12-14 hours and just enjoy it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 08:31:06 AM »

Ann, glad you brought this discussion here.  It is a good one and I am glad to hear so many people are also like me, hee, hee.

I go to bed anywhere from 9:00 - 9:30, to stay up until 10:00 is a killer.  Feel like I am an old person or something, to bed before the kids, whatever!!!  When my eyes open in the morning, no matter what time, I am awake and fully awake.  It can be anywhere from 3:30 to 6:30, sleeping in til 6:30 is very very rare.  I do not sleep the entire time, I awake a couple of times, get up, go back to bed, and fall asleep immediately.  After 3:00, not a chance in the world of falling back to sleep though. Strange.

Melatonin is a great...... well, what is it called anyways in the capsule form?  Is it a nutrient, supplement, or something like that?  I know our bodies produce the hormone Melatonin, like Kathy was saying. It is produced during the evening?  Low light conditions I think.  Yes, as we age, many hormones that were in full swing production are decreased, and melatonin is one of them and is a great one for assisting with sleep.

I don't get the dreams that you speak about, Kathy.  Wish I did, I love dreams.  Beautiful day, great life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
wayne
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »

In 21 years in the Army I could sleep anywhere, anytime. Setting up in a truck, leaning against the wall, on the ground or floor, a mud puddle, anywhere. BUT I learned to also sleep very lightly. Even today sleep for me is like meditation. I rest and relax, but dreams are like a TV show where I can adjust the volume and change channels as I wish. I also have to have some noise in the room, usually a fan, to mask the normal night sounds.
  A ringing phone never gets more than 2 rings, a bark from the dog and I'm at the window. A voice and I answer. And I never toss and turn. When I get uncomfortable I awaken, listen, then make the move.
  I'm used to it now. But it makes for a long night.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 01:59:15 PM »

wayne, you missed one.  sleeping with your eyes open.   smiley  two lessons from the military that stick with you no matter what......eat when you can and sleep when you can!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 08:00:35 PM »

I suffer from narcolepsy so my problem is not sleeping it's staying awake.  Without taking my medication I can literally (and have) slept the clock around.  My record snooze is 37 1/2 hours before nature called and woke me up.  I then promptly fell asleep on the toilet set where my wife found me several hours later and woke me up with a glass of juice and my stay awake medicine.

I have slept through earthquakes, windstorms (hurricane strength winds), car accident in the front yard, and a host of other things people didn't bother to tell me about.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 10:24:03 AM »

Brian, that is nothing short of wow!!!!  Aren't you glad you have the modern medicines to assist you, you could sleep your entire life away otherwise.  Eeeks!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »

Brian, that's incredible, can't imagine what its like for you. Its wonderful your wife is there to aid you in times of need. You must have one loud alarm clock,'eh? Here's hoping you don't fall asleep while working your bees.

Sincerely, JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »

So. About that melatonin. What does it do exactly? I have thought about it a bit and I thought I might give it a try. See what it is like to have one good night's sleep.

BTW. I went to bed just before 9:00pm last night. I awoke just after midnight and stayed up until around 3:00am. Then in and out till about 7:00am. Then it was up and at'em because of the grandkids.

Jerry

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »

Brian, that's incredible, can't imagine what its like for you. Its wonderful your wife is there to aid you in times of need. You must have one loud alarm clock,'eh? Here's hoping you don't fall asleep while working your bees.

Sincerely, JP

Haven't found an alarm clock with a loud enough alarm to wake me.  I keep looking in 2nd hand and Antigue stores for one of those old crank ups with the 2 bells on top and still works.  As for falling asleep while working the bees--they don't sting a motionless man.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »

Jerry, I can't offer a lot of information about melatonin.  But it really does help some people to sleep.  It shouldn't be used all the time, but it really is harmless.  You should go on the internet and do a little bit of research on it, it may be just a thing to help you to get a nice sleep now and then.  You have irratic sleep patterns, and you would be mind blown what a good night's sleep can bring.

I am an insomniac too, everything wakes me up, it is nasty.  But, now and then melatonin helps me to sleep well.  Read up about it for sure, when you decide that you may want to use it, buy the sublingual type (the type you place under your tongue and let dissolve), it works much quicker and is better than capsule form.  Study up on this hormone, it is worth it, Jerry.  Best of this wonderful and great day.  Cindi

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 05:27:04 PM »

I take the tablet form and it works pretty quick also/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 09:48:58 AM »

Ken, ooooh, that is good to know.  I have only used sublingual.  Good.  Have a wonderful and best of day.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next