Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 06:13:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new book rec.  (Read 892 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: December 03, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »

you all know i love to read.  usually it mystery, thriller, military fiction, and a good bit of non-fiction on different subjects.  lately i have read some good fiction based on historical events.  one i recommended to Dane Year Of Wonders, but i am in the middle of Anne Perrys WW1 series.  great writer and this series captures the times very well.  a truly nasty war that confounds ones sense of logic.  it follows one fictional family in england from 1914 to 1918.  each book covering a year. i believe it falls into the mystery category also.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:53:58 PM by kathyp » Logged

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »

Kathy, it shines through that you love to read, that is a wonderful thing.  Both my Daughters are avid readers, the younger one even moreso.  I used to read books alot, but my favourite were Koontz, Saul, King; and any other scarey books.  I loved to get away into these books. 

Now all I read is bee books (and of course gardening books too).  I haven't picked up a good horror story in such a long time, too many more important things in my eyes, to read.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »

Books, a topic dear to my heart.

I think I've read everything ever published by Louis L'Amour, Luke Short, and Zane Grey.  I also like Nelson De Mille, James Patterson, and Jonathan Kellerman, just to name a few.  I've always found Terry Brooks a bit of a long read, while I can zip through a Piers Anthony Zanth novel in what seems like minutes.

If the title pricks my interest, or the topic, I'll read just about anything.

I've written 15 short stories, 68 songs lyrics,  24 poems, my childhood memoirs, a Fantasy novel, and I'm currently working on a historically correct Western.

Why is it that the only thing I can get published is my poetry?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:18:50 AM »

Brian, no kidding!!!!!  You are beyond amazing.  What do you do with all the writings that you have very obviously spent so much time with?  I bet there would be friends here that would be interested in reading some of your work.  That is a hint, tell us more.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:27 AM »

maybe you are submitting to a poetry lover?  smiley

seems most writers are rejected many times before published.  if you are getting multiple rejections on the same script, have some different folks read it.  try tweaking some of the things that they give you ideas on.  if you don't have an agent, it gets harder, but try shotgunning all publishing companies.  smaller companies are looking for the "next great american novel", but the down side is that you won't get as much exposure and pay is skimpy unless you hit it big.

biggest thing is to not give up.  tweak, resubmit, repeat  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »

I wrote my memoirs mostly for the benefit of my grandchildren, they love to have me read them essays out of the book I wrote.

An Agent--who has an agent?  That's a catch 22 situation, many agents don't want to talk to you unless you've been published and those that do accept manuscripts from unpublished authors seem to be less than enthusiastic.  Once in a while an unpublished author fwill find an agent who becomes very passionate about the authors work.  I'm still looking for that last type of agent.  Otherwise a person can go broke using the shotgun approach to publishing--send unsolicited materials to everybody.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next