Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 06:03:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is so TRUE!!!!  (Read 3411 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

Well, I think that this is a wonderful thread.  For us old timers (Hee, hee), I am 55, (oops, typed 54, had to correct, thank goodness I still don't need white out). I am on the lower edge of that baby boomer thingy they speak about.  I remember all the things that you guys are all mentioning.  Memories, life is made of these.  And I think that this thread should plain and simply carry on, or someone start a new thread about the memories of childhood.  It brings back wonderful (and probably hideous thoughts too) memories of what we did as children.  We all have stories to tell, and they should be told.

John's quote
[quote Or maybe you were into chewing the tar that oozed out of the road near the curb? /quote]

I remember something similar. In those days as a child we lived on the top of a hill, all homes had small acreages around us, except for the place at the bottom of the hill that had a horse stable and boarded horses.  Everyones place had a name, like "Lawrences's field" "Water's Stable" "Yonker's Farm", and so on, we knew exactly who was who in our neighbourhood.  We even had a place that we were sure had a witch that lived in there, we were terrified to walk by, especially at night, but we always got up our gumption and walked on by.

The roads in those days were made of weird stuff, tar, pitch, pebbles.  You will all remember these types of roads, maybe they still make them, I don't know.  This will go to show how hot it was in those days, global warming, I can be my bottom dollar these roads really bubble and brew nowadays.

Every summer we would have so much fun.  We would sit on the side of the road and the pitch on the road, inbetween the small pebbles would bubble.  We would sit for hours pushing these little bubbles flat, we didn't chew this tar like John said he and his pals did, but we certainly had tarry (how do you spell tar ee any ways) fingers, ichy stuff, but it was fun. 

This was funny when Brendan spoke about Pong, just yesterday my Husband and I were having a coffee with my cousin, and she was talking about how her boy are always so busy playing outside on their acreage.  We were talking about video games and how the kids really get interacting with them nowadays and he spoke of Pong.  Just a weird thought, thinking out loud.

We had a train track that had two lines going each way (well they probably all do eh?).   We used to get on these darn train tracks and play chicken with the trains.  Were we nuts?  I pitty those poor train drivers, they probably absolutely hated to engineer those trains in the vacinity that had the crazy kids.  Why?  We didn't have any death wish, it was just a challenge.  We all survived that, by the way.

Beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »

Oh, Cindi, your train story made me laugh.  We used to put pennies on the tracks and wait for the trains to flatten them.  On another note, one day my poor father found us in the median strip of the highway - we had crawled through the drainage pipe to get there.  He was horrified, he thought we'd run across the highway (well, actually, we did, the first time, then once in the median we found the 'tunnel')  evil  I could go on and on.  Can you imagine nowadays doing any of this, or kids even attempting it?  How on earth am I alive today, I'll never know!  cheesy

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »

Remember clacker balls

Clacker balls are a novelty toy consisting of two plastic balls
connected by a cord which can be "clacked" together by a rhythmic motion of the hand.
These toys must be manufactured so that the plastic balls will not shatter or fly off the
ends of the cord.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 02:20:50 AM »

Remember clacker balls

Clacker balls are a novelty toy consisting of two plastic balls
connected by a cord which can be "clacked" together by a rhythmic motion of the hand.
These toys must be manufactured so that the plastic balls will not shatter or fly off the
ends of the cord.

I remember them jerry, had a few of them growing up, haven't seen any in a long time, wonder if they still make them...

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »

I think they were outlawed

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml85/85065.html

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »

Clacker-balls.  Now that is the wierdest thing ever.  I do not remember them growing up as a child.  BUT...two Christmas' ago we bought for our Grandson a form of these clacker-balls, only there were three balls.  They were actually very cool and many an adult had fun with them that winter.  No clue where they went, probably blew up or something and are gone by the wayside.  The balls were quite small though, maybe the size of the king cob marble.

Right, marbles....do kids play those nowadays.  I had a beautiful set of marbles when I was a kid, and a beautiful royal purple velvet bag to hold them.  They were my pride and joy.

In my gardening escapades around my property now for over 17 years I had found so many marbles, I have about 20 of them.  In can only venture all the kids that used to live here (there were 7 in the previous family) played marbles, as I did as a young girl and lost them in the dirt.  These are treasures that I find in the soil, (along with beautiful rocks).

Ann, we too used to put pennies on the tracks.  Your poor Dad finding you in the middle of the meridian, thank goodness you guys found that tunnel, hee, hee.

Have a beautiful and great day on this great planet, Earth.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:31 AM »

when i lived in KY, the kids who had houses heated by coal used to chase the coal train to pick up what the train dropped.  there may have been some economic need, but for the most part, i think it was sport.  their parents and grandparents had done the same....probably from need....and the kids carried on.  it was quite dangerous.  in places, there was nowhere to go if a train came along.   the RR guys would chase the kids off and that was part of the sport!

i remember clackers.  they drove the adults crazy.  those were some hard balls!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Gail Di Matteo
New Bee

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »

I grew up in Ocean City, NJ, three houses from the beach. My one sister and I used to spend the entire day at the beach. Sun-up until dinnertime. At 5 and 6 years old. We used to walk all the way to the end of the jetties and crawl down in the rocks for clams. (Now those are some rocks for you Cindi!!). We used to bust up the clams and throw in the air for the seagulls. I suppose this was dangerous, being that far out into the ocean. We could have been lost to sea. We also used to walk the boards, for streets and streets on end. I could not even imagine letting a child that young carry on in that way in this day and age. Fond memories, for sure.
Gail

No good deed goes unpunished.
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »

I grew up in Ocean City, NJ, three houses from the beach. Gail

I was fishing off a jetty at corson's inlet saturday. six striper!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Gail Di Matteo
New Bee

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 06:49:47 PM »

Oh, sure. Rub it in. Wink

No good deed goes unpunished.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next