Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 09:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is so TRUE!!!!  (Read 3553 times)
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« on: November 30, 2007, 02:11:42 AM »

Those Born 1910-1970
READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1920's 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when werode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NOONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O. K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! S, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:28:59 AM »

May I read it?  I was born in 1974....

Rick
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »

Hey, it left out fireworks wars! Or, how about those days where it rained all day and you could go to the playground and they would let you play in the mudbowl, on a Sunday and you would be soaking wet, and muddy. When you got home you got hosed off so you wouldn't track all that mud inside. And you didn't get sick! And you still remember that like it was yesterday and it was 30 yrs ago. And I also remember we said the pledge of allegiance before school started, everyday in class. And we got paddled by the principal and sometimes the assistant principal when we were bad and noone would sue them, it was called getting disciplined, and it was how we lived and we accepted it. And hey, does anyone remember slip n slides? I could go on, but what do ya'll remember? Have great day, JP.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:41:34 PM by JP » Logged

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »

Playing ball in vacant lots full of broken glass and rocks and stickers.

Hugging your friends without getting kicked out of school

School yard fights and no cops were called

Pulling pigtails and not getting slapped with sexual harassment charges.

Show me yours and I'll snow you mine (small kids) was a natural curiosity and didn't get you sexual harassment charges.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »

I have read this diddy somewhere before, and read it in awe.  I am one of these survivors  Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley  Don't know how I ever lived to see this day, but I am here, hee, hee.

I remember as a young girl we had a horse that my Sister and I shared.  Well, now and then I would ride my horse to my girlfriends house, who lived quite some distance away.  I would stay overnight for the weekend with my horse.  She had a horse too, so we had lots of fun.  I was probably 13.

To get to my girlfriend's house, I had to ride my horse across an enormous bridge that spans the Fraser River.  It is called the Patullo Bridge.  The bridge has not changed in over 50 years, it is still the same, 2 lanes each way and a sidewalk to walk across this bridge, if you dare.

I would ride my faithful old steed across this bridge.  He had nerves of steel, and I guess I did too.  This is an enormous bridge, I could not tell you how long it would have taken to ride my horse over this bridge, so high up in the air.  If he had become scared or bucked, I would surely have been dead, the fall to the water is so far.  I can only shake my head at these thoughts, it scares me half to death to think of the nerves of steel that I must had had as a young girl, in my travels across the city on my horse.

We would swim in swamps, catching huge bull frog tadpoles, playing all day long, without ever going home, unless we just got too hungry.  Our Mother never worried about us, as Mothers do in these days.  This was not strange to be gone for most of the day playing in the bushes as children, adventures all day long, never bored.

We would ride our little dirt bikes up Burnaby Mountain on the logging roads for as long as the gas would last, and then sometimes we would wind up pushing our bikes home, when we miscalculated the amount of gas to get back home.  We had Yamaha 80s and they would go for many hours on a tank of gas, most times we would use up the reserve tank as well.

We could walk to the store by ourselves, we never worried about that person lurking in the bush.  So many memories of how simple life was, as a child, no fear for our lives, or being hurt by some demented adult.  Life was good, beautiful and so pure.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love our life we're all livin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »

a few years ago, i went to my grandsons t-ball game.  i was shocked that they didn't keep score!  explanation?  they didn't want anyone to feel bad for losing!  i thought one of the benefits of sports was learning life lessons, INCLUDING how to lose graciously.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »

this is good food for thought. like i'm sitting here and wondering if its television or video games or the internet that caused the change. or maybe its a bunch of overeducated boomers. or maybe i'm just trying to avoid going back out to the cold workshop to build those outer covers i need.
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »

I remember the Bottle rocket wars (firecrackers) growing up, rock wars, mud wars, cow manure wars (guest now they would say dont do that you will get MAD-COW PATTIE Disease  tongue  grin ) if you was raised on a farm you know what I am talking about  grin , I remember we use to go into the swamps just to find dead trees and push down, when you would get it rocking good then you would here to top break and every one run like crazy, them was the good ole days...

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »

Hey!  How about tree riding? grin

We'd go into the woods, find a tall skinny sapling of about 3-6 inches in diameter, shinny up them, and then as the tree bent, ride it back down to the ground.  The dangerous part is if we got too small a tree it could whip, or if we got one too big then it would take us half way...too high to drop but you can't climb back down.  Then we had to get a buddy to climb up too and hope that was enough weight, and we had to make sure to let go at the same time, otherwise you might go skydiving. rolleyes

Rick
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

I am the first to admit we coddle children way to much these days. However this has been floating around on the net for a while. I wrote a response to it a while ago. I will try to remember what I wrote.

Those Born 1910-1970
READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1920's 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

From the Surgeon General:
Smoking, according to a former U.S. Surgeon General, is probably the single most important modifiable cause of poor pregnancy outcome. Experts in many disciplines agree that smoking during pregnancy affects the health of the fetus and the newborn.
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/NN/Views/Exhibit/narrative/smoking.html

In my opinion if you believe that smoking is healthy and has no effect on kids, don't have any.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Aspirin causes 7,600 deaths a year. Sure it's not the millions of deaths and aspirin is generally safe but lawyers love stuff like this. So no your kid can't have aspirin in school.
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm#nsaid
Blue Cheese dressing generally only affected those with allergies to the following:
milk or dairy products, certain types of mold. Peanuts are far more dangerous to those with allergies but we still eat those.
The problem with tuna fish isn't the tuna, it's the mercury, lead, and cadmium. While not fatal you can blame lead for knocking a few points off your IQ

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

And if you were the parent of a child who died of SIDS. You probably have enough guilt to want to take that comment and stuff it down the throat of the writer.
Maybe your kids are perfect for sports because of them chewing on lead based paints. Lord knows they aren't smart enough to be scientist.
http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/info1.html

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when werode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

And children died as a result of swallowing medication that wasn't for them.
Kids got into cabinets and swallowed cleaner products that may not have killed them but I am sure the kid liked having their stomach pumped and I am sure the parents were just thrilled by that adventure.
The helmets weren't so much to protect the kids from themselves as the idiot drivers out there  who don't see the kids. Again I am sure those hospital trips for a cracked skull were just so much fun.
If you were hitchhiking as a kid (I am not talking teenager or older) you were likely picked up by the cops and brought home.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

And more people and children died and suffered serious injury because of it.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

I always thought so. I still do. But I also lost three friends when I was 20 because some moron ran a light and broadsided the pickup and killed the driver and two people riding in the back.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

And we still do. At least in my case. I do both. And I am on a well.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NOONE actually died from this.

No but we sat home for weeks wishing we were dead because we all had mono.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

Real butter like anything is fine in moderation. Sugar is fine too, Those cavities are not so good. And yes kids should go outside and play. They should get skinned knees. They should climb trees and have all the fun that kids should have. However any parent out there doesn't want their kid dead over something that could have been avoided.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No argument here.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O. K.

I had a dime with me so I could call mom at lunch time to let her know where I was and that I was ok. If I didn't call her I go grounded.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

And my dad was with me to make sure I hit the bushes and not driving out into traffic.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! S, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We had Atari, slot cars, plastic soliders, home chemistry sets and other items.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

I agree with this.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

No but tapeworms suck.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

Yes, my dad was a vehement anti-gun person as a result of being in the war. However if I was going to have a BB gun I was going to be responsible with it. And if I wasn't dad was taking it away and not giving it back. And he meant it.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

I was raised you knock first.And you don't just walk in.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

I have no agrument with this.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

No argument here.
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

And the next 50 will produce even better ones.
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

As I said before this thing has been around the net for a bit. It is an the agrument that the following generation is a disappointment. An argument as old as time itself. This note just goes to show that the original author meets the definition of curmudgeon.
The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Well putting God in the pledge sure stop all those natural disasters, didn't it?

It's a cute note where the logic seems nice on the surface and underneath is nothing but rust.

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »

Brendhan, blah!!!!  I was in such a dream world, what!!!!  Now back to reality, come on!!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »

Brendhan, blah!!!!  I was in such a dream world, what!!!!  Now back to reality, come on!!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

I have a profile on another forum somewhere that says Crusher of Dreams. It's in my job description.  evil

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:36:48 PM »

brendhans is the typical liberal response smiley.  thats why the study shows that conservatives enjoy better mental health!!

your dad was anti-gun because he was anti-gun.  many people have been in wars and are not.  anyone who handles a gun should be responsible. 

if you had an atari, you did not experience life as we did.  we are pre-atari   evil

the reason kids didn't take pills and die is 1.  mom didn't need pills to get through each day and 2.  if little johnny got into things he wasn't supposed to, he got his backside whipped....which was more effective and immediate than a "time out".

kids can't have aspirin in school because of the 0 tolerance to drugs crap.  of course, the teachers, parents, and administrators can pop pills to survive the ill mannered kids who were not disciplined (see above) by the pill popping parents.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »

LAWN DARTS.

Swimming w/o life guards in Ocean, Bay or lake.

Skitching rides behind cars on snow w/ your Chuck Taylor sneakers that were worn smooth by skateboarding.

Modifies bikes(choppers) that forks were welded by twelve years olds w/o parents knowledge and carrying your best friend on the handlebars to boot!

Potatoe bombs.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »

brendhans is the typical liberal response smiley.  thats why the study shows that conservatives enjoy better mental health!!
Wrong on two counts, Not liberal. And the crazies don't always admit their insane.  Wink
your dad was anti-gun because he was anti-gun.  many people have been in wars and are not.  anyone who handles a gun should be responsible. 
My Dad was became anti gun because of what he saw in the war. True not everyone did.
if you had an atari, you did not experience life as we did.  we are pre-atari   evil
So was I but I don't think there are enough who remember Pong.
the reason kids didn't take pills and die is 1.  mom didn't need pills to get through each day and 2.  if little johnny got into things he wasn't supposed to, he got his backside whipped....which was more effective and immediate than a "time out".
Mommy's little helper wasn't a placebo. I have no problem spanking Johnny but kids are curious by nature,
kids can't have aspirin in school because of the 0 tolerance to drugs crap.  of course, the teachers, parents, and administrators can pop pills to survive the ill mannered kids who were not disciplined (see above) by the pill popping parents.
I think aspirin should be allowed. No, the reason aspirin is not allowed in school is not because of the zero drug policy many schools had bans on aspirin before the zero drug policy. Allergies and the fact that many kids would take to many and get sick was another reason for not allowing kids to bring aspirin.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 06:59:40 PM »

Jerry,

I'm disappointed in you, your slipping. Wink

This was posted already.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=2436.0

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:30 PM »

Wrong on two counts, Not liberal. And the crazies don't always admit their insane.  Wink
It's that duck thing again, Brendhan.  Wink

And the oft-posted e-mail has it exactly right.  I'm old enough to have lived it all, as are many, many boomers and older out there.  Everyone is so ascared of everything nowadays.  Thank goodness my kids still had the woods to play in and I was a mother who let them go into the woods for hours on end.  They had paper routes and rode their bikes in all kinds of weather to deliver those papers, Mommy didn't drive them around in a car.  One kid rode a trike and hit a shed, the parents were convinced I'd sue - no, the kid learned the lesson and stopped riding foolish trikes.  Life is one learning experience after another, these poor things coming along now aren't going to be able to cope with the hard stuff that life throws at them, they've never had to handle anything.  Self-esteem isn't built by not keeping score, it's built by trying and succeeding - and there are always losers and loses in life that you just have to get over.  So get over it and deal with it!  evil

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »

I use to be able to walk all over the country with a gun in my hand and no one thought much of it.  Coming home always included carrying the pheasants, ducks, rabbits, deer, etc., that you  shot.  Now it's illegal to carry a gun into government buildings (I wonder if that's because the government is afraid?)

I used to disappear on hunting of fishing trips that lasted 2-3  day weekends and my parents didn't mind--heck it helped cut down the food bill.

I was never bored, there was just too many things out there demanding discovery.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »

How 'bout chasing the mosqito spraying truck?? We couldnt see 10 ft. in front of us but as long as we didnt hit the back bumper we were ok! Or maybe you were into chewing the tar that oozed out of the road near the curb?
  Being since its almost Christmas.....I used to lay under the Christmas tree and look up into the tree. I'd gaze into those shiny balls and look at the beautifully distorted world with the twinkling lites, and occasionally get my face so close to a ball that my nose was the biggest nose I ever saw!
yalls friend,
john

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »

Jerry,

I'm disappointed in you, your slipping. Wink

This was posted already.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=2436.0

I knew I had seen it before but didn't know if it was here or in my email..... Or both. And was short of time to go looking.

Sorry I let you down, my resignation papers will be in the snail mail tomorrow.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next