Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 06:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mead making  (Read 4221 times)
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »

Hey,

I also have done some experimenting w/the green fairy and I'm not sure by previous posts but from what I've read you have to distill it after the addition of the wormwood, not drink it as is.

My one and only batch of mead is still sitting on the bench after 1 yr. Tastes great tho a little sweet for me, but after adding pot.sorbate and pot. meta. which i don't usually like to do, as well as isinglass finings, it is still cloudy. It is -20°C here now and as I move my 2 hives to +5°C shop for rest of winter, will move 5 gal carboy of mead outside to see if freezing and thawing will cause it to particulate

Amazing what a guy gets into w/no bees to play w/    lol

cheers

p

Finsky
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »

Yeah, but this protein is still connected to the yeast and will settle to the bottom. 

It is not so, simply. I know.

A simple mead will generally clear well without any intervention.  Sometimes it takes a while.

Yeah, but you do nor clear for awhile after drinking high molecule alcohol  grin

I mean, that yeast eate dead yeast protein and it make high molecule alcohol. Nothin to do with clearing.

These molecules are poisonous and make that awfull hangover and taste

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »

Ah,Shoot Ooptec!
 Go ahead and drink it!!
  It sounds to me like a good batch if it tastes good like you say.
Mine always set on the floor fermenting at about 75 degrees.In about 10 weeks it was clear. A few more weeks later it would be really clear! Maybe the cold weather you have has something to do with the cloudiness
your friend,
john

ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »

Might just do   lol,

It has been kept at room temp. it's entire cycle till just the last month when moved to 50°F shop. I have a Zinfandel Blush rose´ whine that has bulked aged for 11 mos. and was thinking of bottling 1/2 the mead straight, 1/2 w/50:50 whine and 1/2 the whine straight.

I make and drink my own beer 80% (lager and ale), Vodka Martoonies (made w/real Polish potato vodka not grain ethanol) as well as Marguritas and Dark Carribean Rum in a few variations 17%, and whine etc 3% of the time so I wasn't really excited whether was done or not.

Usually the whine, and now the holy trinity    lol    will prob. mostly go for gifts as got a bunch of 12-13oz. whine bottles and will make nice labels for.

cheers

peter

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

Peter, nice brewy things that you are doing over there.  When can I come over for a drink?   Smiley Smiley Wink rolleyes  Have a wonderful and great day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 10:35:07 AM »

Yea,

Funny...... as I'm blessed w/the fact I love the taste of liquor, but hate the buzzzz     lol

Nothing better in having a nice tall pint of suds after returning from the daily battle(s), watching the news and deciding how elaborate supper is going to be tonite.

Add to that the smug satisfaction of almost totally avoiding paying taxahol prices except for the vodka/other hard liquor part but making comparable hard liquor is beyond the bounds of economy as made white lightning, but getting it from there to a reasonable copy of liquor is a monumental task.

Bets   .... I mean best     lol

peter

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:54 AM »

I don't know how old this topic is but i brew beer and mead both,  i like to use the simplest recepie i can get.
I simply ad 1 quart of honey to 3 quarts of water, boil, add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 cup of double strength black tea, then pitch a good wine yeast, i like about a medium dryness. 

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »

Yeah, but this protein is still connected to the yeast and will settle to the bottom. 

It is not so, simply. I know.

A simple mead will generally clear well without any intervention.  Sometimes it takes a while.

Yeah, but you do nor clear for awhile after drinking high molecule alcohol  grin
I mean, that yeast eate dead yeast protein and it make high molecule alcohol. Nothin to do with clearing.
These molecules are poisonous and make that awfull hangover and taste

Correct, autolysis (yeast eating the dead yeast) causes bad flavors.  From what I've read on gotmead.com, the fusel alcohols are generated from yeast that is stressed...not enough nitrogen or too much heat, that is also why the yeast will canablize itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol

As normal fermentation commences, the dead yeasties fall to the bottom, forming "lees". Then you have to "rack" the wine/mead periodically to remove the lees, otherwise too much time on the lees can impart bad flavors.

If it is not so, then somebody forgot to tell the wine/mead in my carboys in the basement.  Clearing nicely, the smell is getting better, and the flavor is nice. I haven't added any sulfites or sorbate yet but will when I sweeten it.  I didn't get a headache from the samples I took.... I will need to rack it in another week or so when the clearing is almost done.

Regardless, I don't drink enough at one time to suffer the next day tongue

Rick

Rick
Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »

...And I gotta do some research on Salvia....Divinorum!!!...Yayyy!!.As I ROFL hysterically!!

Make sure you have a sober sitter who is capable of guiding you if you start to move around without restraining you. This stuff is very hallucinogenic, depending on how much you smoke. Start light. You can always go deeper as you gain experience with the stuff.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 04:58:47 PM »

I have ABSINTHE recipe but haven't made any yet, the real thing is still illegal here in the states, they are working on that though.....

There are now 4 brands of absinthe approved for sale in the US. You can google them.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »

Hey Moonshae, thanks for the advice!
 Im not ready to see the smurfs yet. I need to get in better shape. The important thing to me about salvia is I can SAY I can go SEE the Smurfs anytime I like.(before the govt. says I cant.)
 Hey frozenhillbilly! Good to see someone with "Mukluks" on their feet! I moved down here from Fairbanks in 1972. I was 14 when we left there. I remember 50 degrees below zero sometimes!. I guess if the mosquitos survive so can honeybees! Stay warm now,...I guess its fixing to get pretty cold any day now huh?!

yalls friend
john

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

johny,  i moved to colorado 2 years ago,  the beekeeper i met in deltajct. used to cyanide his hives in the fall and start fresh every spring. but i spent 1 winter in a cabin on his place and really enjoyed the area,  spent over half my life on the kenai.  it's a little more temperate there.  but had to move here for the work oportunity.  i have a local source of wildflower honey here and am trying to get a place of my own where i can set up a hive or twothen i'll really get into making mead

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next