Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 02:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moon -- 94% of full, Waxing Gibbous  (Read 1176 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »

Yes siree.  As I see pretty much every month, the days prior to the full moon and after we have clearing of the skies.  We have had 2 days of beautiful sunshine now, colder than the dickens at night, the temperature in Pitt Meadows is sitting at -3C, we are probably 2 degrees colder here, this weather station is about 20 minutes from our home.  We sit in a little cold pocket in my area, I think it is the deep dark ravine, brrr.  But what a day it is gonna be, sunshine, the bees will probably be heading out for a couple of hours around 11:00 and I will be there to greet them, hee, hee.  Today is the BVT day, Kobi is sitting beside me on the couch, I was eyeballing her yesterday to give her some therapy, but she took off on me, I think she knew what I was up to and wouldn't come outside.  Oh brother.  She and her brother, Titan, practically live at our place while my Daughter goes to work.  Gramma's house.  Oh brother....do dogs think like humans?  Do they think I am their Gramma too?  Oh good.  Titan has some work to do outside with me, I am nearing the completion of my terracing of the land near the apiary, I have planted some of the garlic yesterday and will plant the remainder today.  Lots of aged chicken poop to put on top to mulch, yea!!!!  I knew those birds would be good for something or other.  Oh rats!!!!  I began to speak about the full moon.  Oh well, have a wonderful and beautiful day, love your life you're livin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »

Oh boy, that moon last night, it was absolutely beaming, woke me up at 2:30 am!  I couldn't believe it, it was almost like a flashlight on my face (I never pull the shades all the way, I like to be able to look out the back windows at night if we hear anything, like deer or coyotes).  And it wasn't even full yet!  And yes, it's quite cool out there now, down to 30 at 6 pm, so I'm sure it'll be frigid in the morning!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »

Ann, does your bedroom window face west?  You said the moon was so bright (and oh yes it is!!!!!) that it work you up.  I have that in the summertime here in my bedroom, the moon is low on the southern horizon in summer and it beams into my bedroom on my face (and yes, it does wake me up too).  It is 6:00 PM right now and the full moon is just coming over the eastern horizon, it will be up almost directly above my house by 11:00 or so, and then come the morning, I would say about 5:00, it will be in the western sky, low on the horizon, this is all approximate.

If the trees were not in the way, the eastern window in my bedroom would have the full moon beaming in through it right now, but it is hidden.  If I go out on my bedroom patio I can see it peeking through the trees and visible as it moves between the tall trees.  On the western side of my house is my kitchen, if I were to look out the kitchen window when I get up tomorrow morning (probably about 4:30 or 5:00) I will probably then see the moon.  I am going to look tomorrow morning, just for the fun of it and see where it sits on the western horizon and what time more precisely.  I like to take note of the oddest things.  The moon, the moon (ever read any of Dean R. Koontz or was that Stephen King?).  Have a wonderful and great night and day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »

Ann, does your bedroom window face west?  You said the moon was so bright (and oh yes it is!!!!!) that it work you up.
Yep, it faces due west, and with the removal of all of those pines, the sky is totally open.  Again last night the moon was beaming, but it couldn't wake me up, I was so dead tired from getting up early yesterday morning.  I did notice, however, the moonlight at around 9 pm, the house shadow in the backyard was so sharp!  Clear and cold will do that to moonlight.  This morning it's 19°F).

I'm glad my windows face west, while I love the sunrise, I'd prefer to watch it from my kitchen, which does face east/southeast. 

snip

I like to take note of the oddest things.  The moon, the moon (ever read any of Dean R. Koontz or was that Stephen King?).  Have a wonderful and great night and day.  Cindi
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress   Smiley  That's the first title that comes to mind.  I never read Koontz, read a bit of King (The Stand), my favorite sci-fi author is Robert Anson Heinlein.  Orson Scott Card is great, too, the whole Ender series was amazing.  But that wasn't on the moon.  Wink

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

Ann, the moon was very beautiful last night.  At about 8 PM it was about half way up to the high point above me and of course, was easterly.  There was a beautiful and enormous ring around it.  I could describe this as a ring drawn with fluffy clouds, it was enormous.  The ring encompassed probably 1/3 of that eastern sky.  I have seen this ring around the moon before, but last night's was really something to behold.  The moon this morning would have shone through my kitchen window, but it is kind of misty, therefore the moon was only glowing above the horizon.  Pretty.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »

Ann, the moon was very beautiful last night.  At about 8 PM it was about half way up to the high point above me and of course, was easterly.  There was a beautiful and enormous ring around it.  I could describe this as a ring drawn with fluffy clouds, it was enormous.  The ring encompassed probably 1/3 of that eastern sky.  I have seen this ring around the moon before, but last night's was really something to behold.  The moon this morning would have shone through my kitchen window, but it is kind of misty, therefore the moon was only glowing above the horizon.  Pretty.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
Cindi, that sounds like a 22º halo, did it look like that?  The fact that you mention a 'misty' quality to the morning moonlight leads me to believe that there was enough moisture in the air, yet the air was cold, to allow this halo to appear.

I love atmospheric phenomenon like that, and the Atmospheric Optics page is a really neat place to browse around.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:16:19 AM »

Ann, oooooh ya, that is exactly what I saw, even down to the correct size. It was so beautiful.  My Daughter first saw it and called me outside.  She was coming over to show me the "strawberry" popcorn cobs that she had bought and wanted me to show her how to get the kernnels off.  We went outside and watched for a few minutes, the halo became even more pronounced as we watched.  She is a night watcher, like myself, I have instilled this piece of beauty within her soul, and she is becoming more appreciative every year of this phenomenon that we live in, our wonderful earth.  I have bookmarked these pages. They are worth revisiting.

My Husband did some searching on the internet of this site that we saw last night, and he also came up with that same site that you cited secondly, he loves to find out information, he is an information seeker, and that is such a wonderful thing.  The search for knowledge.  Enjoy this wonderful day, Cindi

tillie
Super Bee

Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:58:18 PM »

Our last night at the beach (last night) the moon woke me up.  The room I slept in (full of windows) in the rental house was under a window filled tower with a spiral stair case leading to it from my bedroom, so when I woke up in the moonlight I climbed the stairs and just watched it for a while.  So gorgeous!

Linda T now sadly back in Atlanta

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »

Linda, wow!!!!  That sounds like you were staying in a beauty of a place, that spiral staircase sounds very nice, and the glass tower above, well, how can words describe, eh?  In my mind's eye, it must have been a place of serenity and calm, with the full moon in all its glory.  You are a lucky woman, I wish I could have stepped in your shoes for a short time last night.  Welcome home, after a wonderful time with your family!!!!  Have a wonderful night, great day, best of health.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next