Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 01:22:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hi Def Adventure  (Read 1564 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: November 23, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »

Well, I did something I've always vowed I wouldn't do.  I got up at 4:00 am and went to Circuit City to sit in line to try to get one of the loss-leader TV's they had on the front page of the circular.  I got there at 4:15 and the line was all the way around the building (I knew it would be bad, my youngest used to work there, and had to work Black Friday every November.  He hated it, he said it was a nasty zoo  cheesy).   I have to say it was pretty mannerly out there in the freezing cold.  I walked right up to the first two in line, two young women wrapped up in sleeping bags sitting on folding chairs.  I asked them when they'd got there - they said 8:30 pm the night before  shocked shocked  I walked to the back and took my place in line.  Chatted with my line-mates for 45 minutes until the store opened.  Thankfully I was in the first wave of people, 300 were allowed in at a time.

Didn't get far, though.  Another line formed to buy TV's.  I stood in that line for 45 minutes, sure that I would never get the TV we wanted.  Almost gave up a few times, but I stayed, and yes, I did get the beast that's taking up a whole corner of my family room now.  It's a honkin' huge Samsung 50" DLP we got for $799.  Younger son, who, as I mentioned, used to work there, thinks it was worth the wait.  I know all the pitfalls of DLP, and the other types, on this one the bulbs have to be replaced every three years or so, by then we'll probably go with another one, the way things are now.  No more do you buy a TV that lasts for 30 or 35 years (I had one that lasted from 1978 until I retired it once digital cable came in - you couldn't control it with a remote, you had to physically get up and change the channels with a knob). 

I have to say, it's gorgeous, the picture is amazing.  I'm just going to have to get used to having a gi-normous screen in my family room!  It's also very light, only weighs around 50 lbs.  So light I'm afraid the cats will knock it over - I've got to figure out how to secure it to the wall behind it, I think.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »

if yours didn't come with one, they make straps to secure them.  mine is screwed into the stand but it's an LCD flat screen.  you can get one for the wall for yours.  you will love it.  we took the leap last year.  i also subscribe to netflix because i almost never go to the theater, but do like to watch movies.  i have not yet invested in an HD DVD player, but with the upgraded DVD with our surround sound and the HDMI connection, the movie quality is really good. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:07:45 PM »

This TV has a really broad base, it isn't going to be easy to get straps around it to stick it to the table.  I'm going to have to be creative  Wink  It really is an amazing picture!  But I am so tired (too tired to think straight) after getting up so early it's off to bed for this girl - tomorrow is another day!

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »

Ann, you are a bad girl!!!!!  Doing something that you vowed that you would never do, hee, hee  tongue Wink Smiley

I am so glad that you had the perseverence (how the blazes do you spell that anyways!!) to stand in line at the incidous hour of the morning.  But, look what it got ya!!!  Yea!!!!  It won't take you long to get used to that enormous screen, you will find a way to ensure your little darling won't knock it over I am sure.  Have a great sleep, you deserve a break today!!!! 

Kathy, you are lucky to have surround sound, that is a great thing to have when you watch a movie, and being subscribed to netflix is probably a super good idea.  We rent alot of movies in the winter time, never ever watch any in the spring, summer and fall, so we get to catch up on all that we missed during those months, and boy oh boy, are there ever a lot of good movies to watch.  Like....the one we are going to watch pretty soon, the new Die Hard with Bruce Willis, gotta get some action happening on the screen and that is a great way to get it!!!!!  We have a 46" Samsung flat screen, it is cool too, but not as big as the one that spoiled Ann got!!!!!  Best of this great day. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »

ann, when you are alert again, look in the back of your tv.  you may find that there is a place to attack a strap.  some places require them (CA) and most tvs are set  up for them.  if yours is not, ask at one of the stores that carries the big tvs.  they should be able to help you.

cindi, i do most of my movie watching in the winter also.  + when my husband is gone i tend to keep a different schedule and watch movies late at night.  this last time i watched Pans Labyrinth.  it was great, but i don't know that i would have watched it in the middle of the night if i'd known it was a bit dark.  had some interesting dreams after that one!!!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 08:02:01 AM »

I slept in till about 9:00am and the wife and I went and mulched the yard. I repaired some facia on the back of the house.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:00:12 AM »

Kathy, I began to watch Pans Labyrinth, but only got into it about 15 minutes and decided it was too dark for me, good that you were able to sit it through, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:14:39 AM »

we got an LCD HD tv back in June and we watch a lot of dvd's (from netflix). the picture quality from regular, non'hd dvd's is excellent. our cable tv provider (its DSL cable) does not yet offer HD but when they do I will get it. I saw it in action on Thanksgiving at my daughter's boyfriend's house and theres a big difference from regular broadcast TV.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »

cindi, it ended well  smiley

randydrivesabus, HD is awesome.  it's especially great for ball games, and shows like "Lost".  the outdoor stuff is great.  Animal Planet, National Geographic, etc. are outstanding.

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

Kathy, I looked on the back of it this morning and I believe I found where you can 'hook' onto it to keep it down, I'll take care of that today.

Last night we watched a locally produced show called Chronicle, it was about the Concord River area here in MA and the nature around it.  All in hi-def.  The picture is truly amazing.  I can imagine sports nuts would love it, too!  We're fortunate in that Comcast does offer the hi-def signal, it cost me (of course it cost me!) $5.00 more a month now for the rental on the hi-def box.  That's ok.  We don't have HBO or Cinemax or any of the premium channels, but we do get all of the Discovery channels, History, etc. so there will be lots to watch on this new nice screen.  That's still too big!  shocked  But he loves it  Smiley

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »

Hee, hee, I think that big thing is a man thing.  I find my Husband always wants the biggest and the best of things, this is mostly pertaining to power tools, or like, the big TV.  I could do with just "regular" things.  Have the wonderful and great day.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next