Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 06:33:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some cool rocks -- for you, Ann, hee hee  (Read 1560 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: November 21, 2007, 09:25:15 AM »

Ann, now you say that you are a rock hound.  I took some pictures of some of my favourite rocks that I had separated from my rock pile.  Can you tell me what type they are?  I have no clue about rock ident, but I think you may have some clues, hee, hee. (or other rock hounds here).  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

These ones I have left on the rock pile:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »

Yeah, big rocks and little rocks, grin The last ones look like granite to me, but I don't know much about rocks, other than they are heavy and solid, some make good paper weights.

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:47:49 PM »

Some very fine specimens of aunthentic canadian rocks you have.

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

Dallas has it right!  Smiley  Actually that last pile is all granite, I'd have to see the others in person to be able to really ID them.  Now, do you know where your rocks come from?  The ones around here were brought here from everywhere, mainly Canada, I think, by the glaciers.  There are glacial deposits all over the place!  Buried morraines, eskers, all of these are deposits made by massive rivers of ice.  I've got a book around here, the Field Guide to New England Geology or somesuch, that explains them all. 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:00:40 PM »

Whew, Dallas and Ann, I think that these rocks were born and bred Canadian (hee, hee).  I honestly have no clue about their origin, none whatsoever.  I only know they come from the earth where I want to plant plants, and they are in the way.  I have been collecting special rocks.  These are rocks that range from about 1/2 inch to about 3 inches, deep green in colour.  When they are wet, they are beauties, when they dry out, they are mundane.  But I am collecting these particular types, and they will one day make a beautiful display of deep green rocks, varying actually from deepest of green to a mid green colour.  When I see them in the soil, they stand out like nothing on this earth, and they are easy to gather.  So.....off to the land of rock digging and hucking, getting pretty close to the end of my project.  Today I planted some of the garlic, in the now, tiered landscape, tomorrow I will plant more.

We are nearing the full moon, and for the past two days the skies have been clear, the nights quite cold, -3 C last night.  darn near froze my butt off with my Sister today, reducing the size of the chicken pen to keep these girls and boys more warm.  She is the builder, I am the joe boy.  I turn over the chicken pen soil, while she builds and gives me orders of what she needs me to do  evil rolleyes Wink Smiley

She makes me do work that I can't stand, and that is any type of building, I like to work the earth, not build dumb structures.  Thank goodness we love each other and work the land, both doing the things that the other hates to do, holy carumba, a ramblin' we shall go.  Have a wonderful and great day, great life, great health.  Cindi

Ann, maybe one day you will see all the stuff at my place that I am doing, and maybe one day I will see all the stuff you are doing at your place, I think that we are cyber-connected, hee, hee,  Smiley Smiley Smiley C.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 06:59:21 AM »

Cindi, I would love to visit BC, there's that garden that's so famous out there that was built in a quarry - can't pull the name up right now, but it's a goal of mine to see it.  Now I've got two goals!  Smiley

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:28:53 AM »

Ann, I wonder what your first goal is?  I never got a clue as to this, or did I, just missed it?

The garden in a quarry.  Wonder where in B.C. it is located?  I can only think of one famous garden that may fit that description, Minter Gardens, in Chilliwack.  That is out in the valley and I bet it can be rocky because of all the mountains.  It is about 1 hours drive from me and is a beautiful site.  B.C. has some very special garden places, the perfect climate for many growing things.

If you ever come to B.C., you must take the time to correspond with me, so we can get together.  I think that us four would have a wonderful time, we all sound alike.  YOu know that chemistry thing when people bond, it is powerful stuff, and I believe this has occurred, from a long ways away, over our cyberspace, yeah!!!!!  Gotta love this new era we live in.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, greatest life we're livin'.  My youngest Grandson is looking at me and wants to have some food, guess I better go and feed the cute little dude.......Cindi

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »

Cindi,
I believe this is where Ann was talking about. Have you heard of it?
http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »

Buzzbee, that's it!

And Cindi, my two goals to go to BC would be to visit Buchart Gardens and now you!  Smiley

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

Ken, good call!!!!  Yes, Buchart Gardens.  That is on Vancouver Island, near Victoria.  To be honest with you, I have only been to Vancouver Island a few times, and these gardens I have not ever had a chance to visit when I was there.  I have been to Victoria, a beautiful, temperate city.  It is warmer than up further north on the island.  I believe that if you drew a straight line from Victoria to Brian's place, they would be pretty much along the same latitude.  Victoria is below the latitude of the U.S./Canada border,  but the city is still in the Canadian grid.

Vancouver Island is quite a lengthy travel for me.  It is about 1-1/2 hours to the Horseshoe Bay ferry from my home (and that is on a good day), and then the ferry ride is almost 2 hours long.  Then the drive to Victoria (about 1-1/2 hours), (you can take a ferry from Tsawwasen that goes directly to Victoria), that does cut down the travel on the island.  But the drive from the terminus of the ferry at Nanaimo to Victoria is breathtakingly beautiful.  This large island is magnificent.

Why do I carry on as I do?  Hmmm.....not a clue, but it just plain and simply happens.  Well, Ann.....when you decide to make the trip to Buchart Gardens, our paths will cross for sure.  Go there in the late spring, if you have a choice of season, I know you would enjoy it immensely (and you would enjoy my company (and hubby's too).  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, great health.  Cindi

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:46:24 AM »

The Butchart Garden is  a fantastic place.  It's about half way between Sidney and Victoria on lowr Vancouver Island.  One of the best ways to get there (especially from the states) is to catch the International Ferry here in Anacortes to Sidney. 

If anybody decides to go, stop by and say hi.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next