Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 29, 2014, 05:09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quietness; and now the rain and wind  (Read 1643 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: November 09, 2007, 08:54:51 AM »

It is so quiet in my house at these early hours of the morning.  On my front house patio I have three large sets of wind chimes, they have a beautiful sound, but when I hear these fairly loud as they now are -- I know the wind is here.   I step outside, I hear now the heavy rain, and the wind is blowing.  Not the soft breezes that create quiet wind chimes sounds, but ringing out loudly.  We can get times when the wind blows hard, maybe two times a year, and I think that a wind storm is comin' on.  Wind scares me.  If there is anything that can make the hair stand up on the back of my neck this would be Mother Nature and this part of Her.  There is no forecast for heavy wind, but we know how that man can tell us huge lies (hee, hee).  When it is light, I will go and put some heavy rocks on my beehives' lids, they will be safe, we are far from the trees, we are safe.

About 10 years ago we had a terrible wind storm in February.  A hemlock tree had broken half way up and fell on my Daughter's trailer that is about 20 feet from our house.  The roof of this home was crushed slightly, no one was injured, but I will never forget that day.  Behind her trailer now is only cedar trees.  In ensured that there was no more hemlock, they are dangerous, I know that.  We have had many a hemlock on our property uprooted.

We have a deep ravine that runs along the south side of our property.  During the wintertime the small creek that runs through it becomes quite a large creek.  There was an enormous hemlock that had grown along the bank of this creek.  We had another terrible wind storm, during that windstorm this hemlock was blown down.  The very tip of the tree hit our cabin that is down there, no damage, but had the tree been 10 feet taller, I think the cabin would have looked like a bunch of splinters.  I was a grateful woman that day.  This hemlock had such easy access to water for its lifetime that it did not have to set deep roots, such was the reason it blew down.  This was a very large tree, the base of it probably 4 feet in diameter, very very old.  Why it had not fallen down many a hear before, who only knows.  Hemlock have very long branches, heavy foliage on those branches.  It must have been the weight of these branches that simply became to heavy for the root system to support.  I know how heavy a branch of a hemlock tree can bee.  I have carried them off to the "compost" pile many a time.  Probably each one ways about half the weight of me (actually, that isn't too terribly much though, hee hee).

When I was a young girl we (I think the year may have been around 1962) we had a hurricane that I think they called Dianna.  That was the only hurricane that I know of in my lifetime in my area.  I remember all the trees (even the cedars) that had been blown down.  The massive root systems made wonderful places for us to place in when my siblings and I went to the bush to play after that storm.  These trees also made wonderful forts.......going back so long ago in time.  Well, here I went again!!!   Smiley Smiley Smiley Wink Smiley Have a wonderful and beautiful day, great life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »

I was talking with a friend last night who said that his neighbors have collected wind chimes over the yrs, a huge assortment of them and that they keep him up at night sometimes because there are so many of them. The people are old and nearly if not deaf. It was suggested that he rubberize some of the pieces that clank when the people aren't home. Sounds ingenious but you could see the ramifications if they got home and saw him doing this. Could you imagine, all these wind chimes clanging together and not making any noise?

I don't know why but my grandfather (my mom's dad) when he would sneeze would yell out " hemlock ", he was quite the character, I could tell you so many stories about him, he was my friend and closest relative, I sure do miss him, God bless his soul.

Cindi, is this rain bringing a cold front? Have a great day, JP.

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:49:18 AM »

cindi, i think that was the storm they call the Columbus Day storm down here.  made quite a mess of things. that was long before i moved up. My  husband remembers it.   we are sharing weather again, but you are getting the worst of it.  we are just having showers and a little wind. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:29 AM »

Kathy, could be.

JP, no, I don't think that a cold front is on its way.  We have rain and rain is forecast for the next week, that brings temperate weather (well, I consider it reasonably warm), temperature right now is 11 C (51 F).  If the rain does continue the temperature will stay pretty much the same night and day, until it clears.  The weatherman tells me that it might get some sunny breaks on Thursday.  Oh well, the rain here keeps our lawns green (I should mow once more, but then that is another story!!!!!  About two hours to mow my lawns), the soil soft, and fills up my pool so I don't have to fill it as much, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful day, great health and life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »

cindi, i think that was the storm they call the Columbus Day storm down here.  made quite a mess of things. that was long before i moved up. My  husband remembers it.   we are sharing weather again, but you are getting the worst of it.  we are just having showers and a little wind. 

Columbus Day, 1962.  The storm blew down the prune tree beside the horseshoe pits.  Out pet raccoon was very upset, he could no longer set in the branches of the tree and throw prunes at my grandfather who loved the game.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »

When I'm visiting family in Minnesota I like to go outside at night when it's snowing, the heavier the better.  No or almost no wind and I can hear the silence...peaceful.  Maybe I'm crackers, but it also seems as if I can sense the critters out in the woods waiting for it to stop.  This is when I feel the most at peace.  The same thing happens here in Arkansas once every seventeen years (been here 17 years). 

Even the sound changes when the flakes change size and texture all the way to ice pellets (did that make sense?).   Anyway.  Thanks Cindi for taking me there.

By the way the only other time I feel at peace is when one of my kids or my wife fall asleep in my arms.  Sappy huh...

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 10:58:44 AM »

qa33010.  Nope, not sappy.  To be able to express one's feelings, without hesitation, is a gift, a gift that we all have, but are sometimes not able to share.  To say this peace and happiness that is brought to you by loved ones falling asleep in your arms is wonderful, I take my hat off to you.  And yes, that peaceful feeling, not many other things can compare.  Wait until you have Grandchildren, they are nothing like the little tikes that we raise to bring us these new little tikes, wait until they fall asleep on the Grandpa's tummy (and your tummy will probably be a greater dimension by then,  Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley, lots of room (maybe even room for two if there are twins in your family )to lay those tiny little bodies on that warm place that provides the comfort of a great big pillow to them.

We get snow now and then, and yes, I know that the snowfall has a sound, or lack of sound, it is a muffled type of sound outside then, I love that.  Get this, when we are going to get snow, I can smell it coming.  Now that may sound weird eh?

Brian, I can't get over that thing about the racoon throwing the prunes at your Grandfather, that must have been a hoot and a hollar.  Racoons are very smart critters I hear.

Our sun is shinin' today, yeah!!!!  I guess the (small) windstorm yesterday blew them all away.  I thought that we would have big winds here, but I guess it blew somewhere else (hee, hee).  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on our great earth.  Cindi

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:51:55 AM »

wow.  woke up at 5 to the top half of the back door blowing open with a bang.  realized i had not anchored down my hive tops.  ended up throwing on clothes and making the hike in the dark  smiley.  that's ok.  needed to fix the bees and feed and water the critters before the power goes out!

hope you guys north (brian, cindi) are ok.  as far inland as i am, this is going to be a bit nasty......nothing compared to what it looks like brian is going to get!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »

Kathy, we have a great storm in progress and more to come, you must have got the very beginning of it.  We have had the power out two times since last night.  I have seen the blue skies of the transformers blowing up, a few minutes ago there was a huge pink sky not far from our house, it hasn't affected us, yet, our power has been back on for awhile and looks like it may stay, but the lights are flickering a little bit.  The wind is horrendous, my Husband put more weight on the hives for me last night when the power went out.  Hope all is well with you too, thank you for your kind words for Brian and I.  I must google where you live, I think that you are right in line geographically with Brian and I.  Gotta go, wanna make sure this post goes, we may yet lose that power again.  Thank goodness the temperature is very warm, it is 11 C, wind gusts I see are 54 km in Pitt Meadows, about 1/2 drive from me, we have higher winds right where I am, and they are getting stronger.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »

The animals and the bees came through the storm fine this year, last year it blew my hives over as well as tore shingles off the house and blew down a tree in the front yard.   This year I have to replace a 12 ft length of tin roofing that is still attached (barely) to the shed--the only damage noted so far.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »

Brian, I am so glad things were OK at your place, I am grateful for that.

Kathy, how did you make out, did you lose your power?

Eeeks!!!!  Just after I posted this yesterday morning, the power went out, can't remember exactly what time it was.  The power stayed out until this morning about 9:00 A.M.  Nasty, horrible, bad winds and unbelievable rainstorms.  Our town, Maple Ridge, was hit the hardest in southwestern B.C. and us being in the rural area, we are always put on the back  burner, when it comes to repair of any damages by storms.  The bees faired OK, but there were large trees fallen in many places, causing severe damages in our locale.  Nothing came down on our property, thank my lucky stars for that.  We had a catastrophe in our chickenyard, which I will address in another post......

It was a cold night.  Our night time temperatures are about 6 C which is around 42 F.  Daytime about the same.  Pretty cold.  We all went to bed early, about 8 PM, got up just before dawn.  Not an awful lot to do with only candles and the lamps.  The power had been restored to the areas of essential services, like the schools, so the kids all went to school, that was good.  There was the Rememberance Day holiday yesterday, so they stayed home and did stuff, the U.S. call it Veterans Day.

I am grateful for our modern day technology.  I love when we have no electricity, because it humbles me, and when our power returns, it makes me reflect how fortunate we are to have the heat and the light, at a touch away.  We must remember to be grateful for what we have.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, best of this great life, great health.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next