Kev, that is so sad, I feel for you, words cannot say enough. Who would have ever thought that a compost pile could have that much clostridium bacteria habouring within.
This unfortunate thing that has happened to you Kev, has really got me thinking. I am serious. We have 4 dogs (used to have 6, but old age set in) and I know they love to eat the compost now and then. They have not yet become sick from it, but now I am cautioned and I am listening, now reacting. You say unaerated compost, so now I have another job to do, oh brother.
Living on 5 acres and being a freak about tidiness around my place, I have the biggest compost pile you could ever imagine. Actually I have several in different places. I guess I need to get out my Mantis tomorrow and rototill these piles all up, that will aerate them completely and hopefully there will not be a chance for any demise such as what happened to you. Again, Kev, I feel your sorrow and you are in my thoughts. Still......have a wonderful day, great life, and keep your chin up. Cindi