Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 06:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CCD in Observation Hive?  (Read 750 times)
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« on: October 31, 2007, 06:56:30 AM »

Since Understudy (Brendhan) is Down Under, I'll post a link.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071030/NEWS/710300371/-1/NEWS10&sfad=1

Writer concludes that CCD is the "only" explanation, but with an observation hive I think there could be several alternatives.
abejaruco
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »

The article is nice, with imagination.
So, the queen calling is similar to Canadian geese calling. Smiley

And:

" It swarmed again in the same year, except this time, it was different, and it was something that can only be called CCD."

I would say "absconding". Absconding is so old as the beehaving. Older than CCD.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:53:40 PM »

Well, I don't know about his statement about swarming so late, that it doesn't happen.  I had a swarm issue on September 6 (last), I had caught the swarm at a family reunion that I had.  (I had the opportunity to show off and perform  -- and show all my  many, many, many relatives this acquired skill of catching a swarm). This colony has built up quite considerably.  Carniolan.  The winter ball is quite big and when I looked into their colony around the beginning of October, they had quite a lot of brood being reared, I would say about a frame and a half.  (one frame of brood equals three frames of bees, correct? yep).  This colony will make it through the winter.  Of course I fed the dickens out of this swarm and gave them pollen patty for the young bees.  Their box feels quite heavy.  I will take good care of it through the winter and see how it does next year.   Have a wonderful day, best of this great life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next