Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 08:09:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OH good grief...  (Read 1270 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: August 26, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070825/ap_on_fe_st/odd_beer_run_arrests;_ylt=Agk2TTT1wUGbRZ8nWqmHCI6s0NUE

By CARA RUBINSKY, Associated Press Writer Sat Aug 25, 6:19 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Two people who sprinkled flour in a parking lot to mark a trail for their offbeat running club inadvertently caused a bioterrorism scare and now face a felony charge.

The sprinkled powder forced hundreds to evacuate an IKEA furniture store Thursday.

New Haven ophthalmologist Daniel Salchow, 36, and his sister, Dorothee, 31, who is visiting from Hamburg, Germany, were both charged with first-degree breach of peace, a felony.

The siblings set off the scare while organizing a run for a local chapter of the Hash House Harriers, a worldwide group that bills itself as a "drinking club with a running problem."

"Hares" are given the task of marking a trail to direct runners, throwing in some dead ends and forks as challenges. On Thursday, the Salchows decided to route runners through the massive IKEA parking lot.

Police fielded a call just before 5 p.m. that someone was sprinkling powder on the ground. The store was evacuated and remained closed the rest of the night. The incident prompted a massive response from police in New Haven and surrounding towns.

Daniel Salchow biked back to IKEA when he heard there was a problem and told officers the powder was just harmless flour, which he said he and his sister have sprinkled everywhere from New York to California without incident.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate anything like that," he said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said the city plans to seek restitution from the Salchows, who are due in court Sept. 14.

"You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know," she said. "It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious. We're thankful it wasn't, but there were a lot of resources that went into figuring that out."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »

Sorry but, Give me a break!  True they could have communicated their wishes.  But some folks (governments included) are just a bit too gun shy and quick to nail anyone who they "think" is a terrorist.  Seems we are started well down the slippery slope we were warned about, ...giving up a little freedom for a little security and soon we won't have either.   IMHO that is...

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »

it is perfectly reasonable to investigate such a thing.  perhaps even to evacuate an area until you get answers.  this PD went to far.  it is one thing to be vigilant.  quite another to be repressive.

these are the actions by authorities that will make us less safe.  they will be challenged.  maybe even taken  to court over this.  in the future, PD's will hesitate to act and perhaps miss the real thing.

a little common sense goes a long way......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »

Common sense is absolutely not allowed!  You are suggesting that people think.  They don't want anyone to think, just to obey.  rolleyes

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »

They will have to form a support group w/ the guys from Boston who placed those game adds. New England is a little bit jumpy!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

OMG how come these idiots now get listened to? Kids playing bloody chalk chasey = terrorist secret signals. The worls getting dumber by the day!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »

Give me a #s@#! break! Everyone involved in this should be laughing loudly at how silly the humans acted. Be careful next time you do a sugar shake for mites, you may cause a terrorist scare!

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:35 AM »

i personaly don't forsee it gettingany better anytime soon either

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next