Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 12:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Mozilla Firefox -- two adverse issues  (Read 2215 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: October 07, 2007, 07:15:18 AM »

I am trying out Firefox, on the advice from my cable company, Shaw, for my internet when on the bee forum.  But, so far, and I have only used it for a couple of hours, there are a couple of things that have shown up that bug me, and make me want to switch back to IE.

Using firefox, when I want to submit a post, I cannot use the keyboard command, "Alt S", IE uses this keyboard command.  After years of using keyboard shortcuts, I have an extremely very difficult time to use the mouse to click on the "post" button  Sad Wink Sad Smiley

Using firefox, when I open another window, for instance like a link to Michael Bush's website, when I got to close it by clicking the X button, the prompt is "you are about to close two tabs", I click yes, and it closes the bee forum too and I am back to my desktop.  Oh brother, now I can't find a post that I was working on.  Oh brother, I will find it, but it is a nuisance.  When using IE, each window has the capability of closing one at a time. 

Anyone using Firefox that can help me, I must be doing something wrong with use of this program, it can't be that difficult!!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of health wishes for us all.  Cindi  (ooops, almost hit alt S, what a waste of keystrokes, cause then I have to close another menu and then push "post") ha, heeee, heee.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:31:06 AM »

Can't help with the alt-s, but on the other issue, it sounds like your closing FF and not the tab.  Depending on the theme your using, there may or may not be an X on the individual tab,  if there is not, right-click on the tab and select close tab.

You can set tab options in Tools-options.

FF has some great add-on available too,  go to tools - add ons - get extensions

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »

Rob, OK, good, went into the options and asked it to "always show tabs", that is good, now the tab X shows up and I can close each tab as desired. Thanks, just not the computer whizzy type gal.

About the add-ons, don't know if I would use any of them, but then, one never knows.  Any examples of where I might use some add-ons that I might not think of off the top of my head.  No worries, if you are busy, this is on the back burner.

Still wanting to know of a keystroke shortcut for posting, for example, IE is "alt s", maybe someone else will know  Smiley  Have a wonderful day, best of health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:23 AM »

Hey Cindi,

To find keyboard shortcuts .... and when all else fails    ........lol .......read the directions.    lol

Go to firefox help on top tool bar and then type in 'keyboard shortcuts'

Some firefox add-ons you might like are the pop up blocker 'Adblock Plus', Form Saver for filling out forms,

Forecastfox
by Richard Klein, Jon Stritar
Get weather forecasts from AccuWeather.com, and display it in any toolbar or statusbar with this highly customizable and unobtrusive...
Version 0.9.6 — September 13, 2007

PDF Download
by Denis Remondini
Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it!
Version 0.9.2 — September 13, 2007

To do just drop down 'Tools' menu and select Add-ons

Once you get used to it you will 90% for sure like it over IE, It isn't now the most popular browser and getting more popular over time for nada. It upgrades often leaving the world's richest man's co. in the dust, but being a mac-addict I may be prejudiced    lol

cheers

peter

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »

Click on "tools"

Scoll down and click on "options..."

There is this box that shows up with multiple things on the top Click on "Tabs"

There is a place where you can choose to open in new windows or new tabs. If you want everything in a different window click on "a new window"

Then click "OK" at the bottom and it all opens in a different window.

I never heard of "alt S' so can't help you there.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 08:43:37 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Point missed though.  I looked in the help on Mozilla, no help for what I needed help for  Smiley Wink

I am an avid keyboard command user.  Rarely do I use the mouse because of all the work that can be done with keyboard stroke commands.  Look when you are typing a post on the forum, at the bottom, to post the post you can push the "post" button, or you can type in "alt s".  This one particular keyboard command is not an option when using Firefox (that I can see) only available when using IE as the browser.  That does not make any sense to me, as all the other keyboard commands are the same no matter which browser is being employed.

"Alt s" for "send" post is one that I use more than any other keyboard command and it bugs me that it is not available for use with this browser.

I am using Mozilla on the advice of our cable company, Shaw. 

The reason why I have been having gateway time out issues with posting (and this has been going on for months) is because of Internet Explorer.  This dude at shaw looked at the Microsoft complaints section (basically) and this error messaging is worldwide with the use of ImageShack.  So, indeed, there are issues worldwide, I am not the only one (thank goodness).  And all this time I thought it was my IP or my computer, but evidently not.  But with Mozilla, evidently ImageShack can be used with no problems and no error messages.  I have been trying it out and so far I have not had any gateway or bad gateway issues, which is kind of nice. 

Microsoft is currently working on a patch to fix this issue with ImageShack and the gateway and error messages, it must be a really bother for them.  They are going to be releasing this "patch" fairly soon.  Have a wonderful day, best of our great life, great health to us all.  Cindi

randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

get used to FF because its much better than IE except that there are some websites that aren't FF compatible...not many but there are some. i think FF is much faster than IE and less prone to unwanted junk getting on your computer.
i have the weather thing on mine and its nice but not as accurate as the NWS....if you can use accurate and weather in the same sentence.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »

Testing things....

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »

I found it Cindi

TAB ENTER

Jerry

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »

Jerry, I can hardly wait.  I am going to make two posts, one right after the other cause I can't stand the anticipation.!!!! C.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »

Jerry, OK, you are officially the mastermind of it all.  So....come on how did you find out this keystroke shortcut?  I thought I knew it all!!! There I go again, Mrs. Know-it-All  rolleyes tongue Wink Smiley

I depend on these keystrokes to quicken my typing, I know many others do too, I remember we had a huge post going on where everyone was putting their two cents in about the keyboard shortcut commands, that was pretty cool and exciting, but far too many keystroke combinations for this gal to remember.  But yeah!!!!!!  Now to toggle between alt s in my e-mail program and tab enter on Mozilla will be a firestarter for sure.  Thanks, Jerry, I appreciate your taking the time to do this little job for me.  This is what makes this forum a very special place to be, others helping others, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful day, beauty of a life we live.  Cindi

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »

I just poked around on keys until it happened.

Jerry

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »

While technically tab enter isn't a shortcut in a coded function short of way. It is a way to do what you need.

If you hit the tab key several times you will see a different field highlight.

It is a nice way to go from from one field to the next without having to use the mouse. And if it works for you run with it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »

Cindi, spend some time with Firefox.  Install a few essential add-ons like Adblock, No-Script, I.E. Tab (you don't have to use IE, you can just switch the rendering engine), and Tabmix Plus.  Below is a listing of my add-ons, many are non-essentials but nice to have!  (This listing is generated by InfoLister, see the list for the URL)

My Firefox Information

Last updated: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:50:03 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7

Extensions (enabled: 33, disabled: 0; total: 33)
Themes (3)
  • Firefox (default)
  • FormalGnome
  • Modern Pinball [selected]

Plugins
  • Adobe Acrobat
  • getPlus for Adobe 12250
  • IE Tab Plug-in
  • Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U2
  • MetaStream 3 Plugin
  • Microsoft® DRM
  • Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin support
  • Mozilla Default Plug-in
  • QuickTime Plug-in 7.2
  • RealJukebox NS Plugin
  • RealPlayer Version Plugin
  • RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
  • Shockwave Flash
  • Shockwave for Director
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 11:22:34 PM »

Ann, I have copied your post to my desktop, so I can peruse at a later time.  I am such a very basic internet user that I just don't know if any of these add-ons would apply to how I work on it.  I am very basic, simple, tell me what I could do with any of these add-ons, cause I just don't quite "get it", as with so many things in this world.  Have a beautiful day, greatest of life.  Cindi

Jerry, that was interesting that you were just goofing around, yeah, that is good, I am so afraid to goof around on the computer, lest I crash it or something, I am uniformed.  C.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »

I have a computer savvy son-in-law living here right now. He can repair whatever I might mess up.

Plus there is nothing of real importance on the machine.

Jerry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next