Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 12:40:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mead and distilling  (Read 7985 times)
fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »

Brewhaus are some great people, excellent yeasts - cheap bottles though mason jars are the easiest.  I use a pot, it's stainless.  I prefer flavor to just plain alchohal. I had to throw a chunk of copper pipe in it to get the corn to taste right though.  Another interesting sight is www.partyman.se/.   The very best sight is; homedistiller.org

The good life is honey on a Ritz.
fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »

What you would need to find is the line onto the coil and put a reostat in.  Then adjust using a cooking thermometer. evil

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »

The very best sight is; homedistiller.org

yup, i go to that site all the time also

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »

I posted a recipe for honey beer here for someone a while back that I found on the net, and I decided to actually try it myself. I expanded the recipe to make 5 gallons, and let me tell you, it is incredible. A beautiful golden color, not cloyingly sweet, and not too hoppy. No malt to screw up the honey flavor. The different flavors come at different parts of the sip, I was really amazed. Tasty stuff. I also used a champagne yeast instead of a beer yeast.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 09:16:13 PM »

Have you ever read the German law regarding beer ingredients.  The only acceptable ingredients "by law" in Germany is Barley, hops, water, yeast.  I believe that is still a german law to this day dating back to 1500 ish time frame.  Along with something like it will only be brewed in the winter months. 

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »

Yep, I made a honey beer a couple years ago.  It was alot of work and expense.  A guy in the camp next to me offered me a beer called "Honey Brown".  It was really inexpensive and tasted just as good.  A case of Honey Brown cost as much as the empty bottles I was buying - go figure.  If you like honey beers this is the one to try.

Yep that's the law there.  Not all that's german is good beer.  I lived there for nine years and trust me they have some lousey beers over there. tongue

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »

Just buy one from a Sear & Roebuck catalogue for around $80.00.  It's called a "water purifier".
 grin

they have a post here on midifing a water purifier
http://www.brewhaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »

Hey fcderosa!
I have the same problem with my mead...Ive made 15 gallons this year and I drank it ALL...I keep telling my wife what I'll charge for it and when my supply gets low the price goes up! I could charge 100bux for a bottle but I never have any to sell!...And one time my friend drank some with me and he threw up!( lite weight).
It does taste good tho.....But, have you ever noticed how things taste better when you cook, catch, or make it yourself?
and,....hee hee...legalities?
ok,...thats all...
your friend,
john

Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »

I brewed a honey brown, too. I found it extremely different, since it was a malt-based beer. The honey beer I brewed used no malt at all, just honey, hops, water, and yeast. I didn't find it any more expensive than the other brew recipes I've tried so far.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »

I am fond of making a Honey Wheat ale.  It is fairly low hopped.  Kind of has a citrus finish to it.  My wife will finally drink an Ale I make.  So I just keep making it.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »

First batch of honey ale almost cleared and ready. I was supposed to teach a beginner beer making class and the easiest recipe I could come up w/was one commercial kit and 1 kg of honey to replace the required 1kg of dextrose (corn sugar), no cooking. I did replace the yeast in the kit with wyeast american ale as after years brewing discovered the main reason for so-so tasting home made beer, if wasn't due to being infected by a 'bug', was the yeast used. I thought what could be easier.

Wyeast also makes 2 mead yeasts, one dry, one sweet. Do have a batch of mead that has been sitting in carboy for almost 8mos. waiting to clear. tastes nice and will have to trot out filter to try to get it sparkling as isoclear didn't do it.

There is a table top still sold in Australia for making 'essences' but is $200 and so the good old pressure cooker w/plastic line run into a 5 gal pail with the copper tubing for a condenser and as stove is close to sink can use cold tap water to keep condenser cool as tried ice but is surprising how much heat is absorbed from coils.

Making booze is G-R-E-A-T

cheers

peter

fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »

When you get a chance check out www.midwestsupplies.com.  It's were I like to pick up the more exotic malts.  The yeasts are great as well.  You can control the sweetness, dryness, or alchohal content through the yeast.  They have specific yeasts for mead as well.  Tired of always getting a dry mead -  this can fix that.

Hmmmm, I do love a good honey brown. grin

I do plan on making a pymeat this year.  Concord grapes - cheap, full flavored, high sugar content and end of summer honey. When I clear my supers for the year, the capped stuff gets bottled, the uncapped gets turned into hootch - thats when fermentations a good thing.   Hmmm, properly aged it tastes just like $100 dollar a bottle port.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next