Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 07:00:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mead and distilling  (Read 7772 times)
fcderosa
House Bee

« on: September 23, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »

Profit?  shocked
 Profit?   shocked

I must confess, I'm as selfish as can bee.  I eat all my honey or give it away as gifts.  Talk about saving money at Christmas, and everyone loves it.  Want to give a gift of appreciation - honey.  Let's not forget cooking honey - barbeque sauce would never be the same without it. Eveyone needs a couple gallons in the cuboard.
    As the other hobby of mine is the SCA (medieval recreationists) the wax is used for candles, and never do I camp in the dark.  The difference between parafin and beeswax is incredible. I burns so clean and bright. I use it to wax my bowstring.  As a jeweler it's used as a lubricant.
      The surplus honey is turned into mead, or mixed with a concord grape must to create a pymeat that would rival the finest port.  Think of it; a winter storm, a warm fireplace to warm your exterior and a smooth pymeat to warm your interior, and just a little Bach.  I have even distilled mead (yes, I know it's illegal). It is then infused with the same honey the mead was made from, along with some herbs from the garden - It's awesome.  It's been described as kinda like Drambiuie but ten time better and smoother.  No preservatives, sulphite, ect.  All natural at about 60 proof - on the rocks - awesome.

I keep saying; next year I'll sell some but there never seems to be enough. grin

The good life is honey on a Ritz.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »

Distilling is illegal?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Dr/B
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »

The surplus honey is turned into mead, or mixed with a concord grape must to create a pymeat that would rival the finest port.  Think of it; a winter storm, a warm fireplace to warm your exterior and a smooth pymeat to warm your interior, and just a little Bach.  I have even distilled mead (yes, I know it's illegal). It is then infused with the same honey the mead was made from, along with some herbs from the garden - It's awesome.  It's been described as kinda like Drambiuie but ten time better and smoother.  No preservatives, sulphite, ect.  All natural at about 60 proof - on the rocks - awesome.

Can you please PM me your mead receipe?  I'd like to find a good receipe to try.

Thanks

Dr/B grin
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »

Distilling is illegal?

only if you get caught  Wink tongue

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »

Distilling is illegal?

only if you get caught  Wink tongue

But "forgetting" a bottle of hard cider outside during sub-zero weather in February isn't tongue  One of the benefits of being up North grin

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:45:45 PM »

Distilling is not illegal.  What is illegal is failing to pay the taxes when you sell it.  Just as selling honey is illegal if you don't collect and pass the taxes onto the state.  The difference is that The Federal Government is involved with liquor taxes and states & communities are involved in sales taxes.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 12:31:57 AM »

Distilling is not illegal.  What is illegal is failing to pay the taxes when you sell it.  Just as selling honey is illegal if you don't collect and pass the taxes onto the state.  The difference is that The Federal Government is involved with liquor taxes and states & communities are involved in sales taxes.

No, that is quite incorrect.  You are allowed to make beer and wine but distilling is very illegal.  While it is an issue of taxes, the tax on distilled products are paid by the distilleries when it is made, not at the time of purchase (see ATF).  The time of purchase is when your state dips its hand in the till.  The Feds are real prisses about it, moonshining is moonshining whether it's a quart or 50 Gallons the sentence is about the same.  The feds want their taxes - been that way since George Washington’s time (whiskey insurrection).  If the individual makes it for personal use the Feds won't get anything - I guess there's the crime. The  bad part about selling it is it's the quickest way to get caught.  Point is though, once you've had homemade bourbon, or rye whiskey aged in charred apple, you'll never go back to the store bought swill.  Kinda like the difference between store bought honey and the stuff straight from the hive.  Besides, I'm not moonshining, I'm researching alternate fuel sources. grin

If you think bees are funny drunk on mead, you should watch the squirrels doing nosedives out of the trees after eating the corn mash you just dumped in the woods.  Did you know the deer stagger as well? evil

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:14:07 AM »

I beg to disagree.  You can distill all you want as long as it's for your own consumption.  If you make any excess the government assumes that it is made for sale and you are in trouble, you then have to prove it is for your own use.  That means distilling is not illegal, production for sale is.  The government (contrary to the Constitution) forces you to prove your innocence. 

A loose interruptation of distilling can include beer (beer is distilled), wine and mead making.  A loose interruptation of the 2nd Amendment says that owning a gun is a right of a militia (military & police) member but not a member of the general public. 

You are correct in that the government levies the tax at the time of distilling on licensed distillers (brewers).  The government asumes if you are not licensed then you are engaged in illegal activity.  Again, this is a case of guilty until proven innocent.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:58 AM »

Finally something I know about,  it is illegal to distill alcohol. You might be wondering about homebrewed beer and amateur wine making -- these activities were made legal in the 1970s, but they can only be done in small quantities (if you're supplying half the bars in the city with your "homebrew," the government is probably going to get suspicious). Homebrewing is a different activity from distilling alcohol, and distilling is definitely illegal in any amount. The reason distilling at home is illegal is because it's too easy to make a mistake and create a harmful product. Permits and licenses are required so that the government can make sure the alcohol being produced is safe. Plus, the Feds want to get their tax money.

http://www.home-distilling.com/HD_legal.asp

Amateurs built the ark,
fcderosa
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:33:57 AM »

If you've looked on the ATF webpage you've probably have been unable to locate anything on home production because there is no provision for it. Moonshining is illegal!! Unlike wine or beer, the laws and regulations governing distilled spirits contain no provision that would allow someone to produce spirits in their home for personal use. Under 26 U.S.C. Section 5171 operations as a distiller, warehouseman or processor may be conducted only on the bonded premises of a qualified distilled spirits plant. To qualify such a plant, a registration, application for permit and bond must be filed in addition to other supporting organizational documents. 26 U.S.C. 5178 places restrictions on where a plant can be located.  Some of the other requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

They take the fun right out of it Cry

On the other side of the coin, it's actually easy to make, inexpensive, and you get a far better quality product (if you do it right).  Again the distilled mead is awesome, as well as my other favorite - apricot brandy.  Storew bought is hard to measure up unless you kick out the cash.

In so far as owning or buying a still;

What all this basically comes down to is ...
1. You can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1 gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction of essential oils from plants.
2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)

What this means is that anyone who buys a still in America can at any time expect a knock at the door and a man with a badge demanding to see what is being done with the still they bought.

So, what a society when you have strictor regulations on stills than you do on guns.  The gun control people don't need to advocate banning guns, they need to advocate taxing them. evil

BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:55 AM »

TWT thank you for a link to the actual law.

Mr Brian Bray I believe you are incorrect.  According to Webster

Main Entry: dis·till
Variant(s): also dis·til  /di-'stil/
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): dis·tilled; dis·till·ing
Etymology: Middle English distillen, from Anglo-French distiller, from Late Latin distillare, alteration of Latin destillare, from de- + stillare to drip, from stilla drop
transitive verb
1 : to let fall, exude, or precipitate in drops or in a wet mist
2 a : to subject to or transform by distillation <distill molasses into rum> b : to obtain by or as if by distillation <distill whiskey> <able to distill humor from personal loss> c : to extract the essence of : CONCENTRATE

So it is thru the process of having the alcoholic beverage in a boil pot and warming it to vaporize the actually alcohol and not the water/flavorings/etc...

Beer can be distilled yes however it would no longer be beer.  Wine can also be distilled.  Traditionally this was called brandy.

Beer is not made by distilling however.  It is an all natural process and us homebrewers allow yeast to make that happen for us.

BTW everybody.  You are allowed to make 200 gallons of beer and 200 gallons of wine for personal consumption if the household is 2 or more adults.  Otherwise it is only 100 gallons of ea per calendar year.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:18 AM »

thats why it is best to build your own still, it cost between 100-200 bucks depending on what type you want..

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

Amateurs built the ark,
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »

thats why it is best to build your own still, it cost between 100-200 bucks depending on what type you want..

I have considered doing just that.  Maybe this winter.  Did you build your own TWT?

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »

I've been sitting on those plans for a while too.   

Anyone price copper lately? shocked shocked

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »

I have considered doing just that.  Maybe this winter.  Did you build your own TWT?

sure, built both, pot and reflux
here is a couple places where I have ordered some of the oddities like charcoil and packing plus a few more things

http://www.brewhaus.com/
http://www.stilldrinkin.com/

Amateurs built the ark,
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »

here are a forum you can read

http://www.brewhaus.com/forums/index.php

http://homedistiller.org/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:51:18 PM by TwT » Logged

Amateurs built the ark,
BMAC
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »

I've been sitting on those plans for a while too.   

Anyone price copper lately? shocked shocked

Considering I brew my own beer.  I already have a bunch of stuff readily available.  Probably the only thing I need to buy is a few copper fittings and maybe 10 feet worth of copper pipe. 

Woohoo.  I still have a few SS 1/2 barrels hanging about just begging to be converted!!!!

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!
UtahBees
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 01:23:16 PM »

If you've looked on the ATF webpage you've probably have been unable to locate anything on home production because there is no provision for it. Moonshining is illegal!!

Go check out the History Channel. A cool show was on last night that talked about this:

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=240119

Hillbilly The Real Story
The two-hour special, hosted by celebrity Billy Ray Cyrus, brings these mythic people to life through stories that span 300 years. Outcast immigrants, war heroes, isolated backwoodsmen, hard working miners, fast moving moon shiners, religious warriors, musicians and statesmen make up the rugged cast of characters.

A few guys on the show have been in Jail 5-6 times because of the Moonshine they've produced and sold under the table.

Regards,

UtahBees

Dr/B
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »

Just buy one from a Sear & Roebuck catalogue for around $80.00.  It's called a "water purifier".
 grin

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »

how does it control heat, remember you only want the temp around 172-174 degree's, dont want it hot enough for the water to steam, if it gets to hot you have the puck un the mix and its want work that way,  besides they look small, I like the ones that hold 15 gallons Wink

Amateurs built the ark,
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next