OK, Quint, I got the word from John (through PM) and Ken in this thread that it is OK to bring on this information that I typed out for you (and any other forum friend that may be interested in reading a very lengthy post), hee, hee. But you know me, I ramble ;) :)
I treated 9 colonies in under one hour. The next time it will be a much shorter time period. I had not used the apparatus before and I had experience to gain here, so I took my time, slowly.
Below is the text word for word from the pamphlet that came with my Oxalic Acid vapourizer, and it killed mites by the hundreds, quickly. Have the best and most wonderful day, Cindi
OXALIC ACID VAPOURIZER
JB200 Electric Oxalic Acid Vapourizer
Heilyser Technology Ltd.
685 Dalkeith Ave.
How to use the JB200 Oxalic Acid vapourizer
Preparing Vapourizer and your 12-volt battery
Preparing protective mask, glasses and suitable acid-resistance rubber gloves
Cutting foam material strips for sealing the entrance
Caution: Oxalic acid is not dangerous if precautions are taken
Vapourized oxalic acid â€“ safety precautions for the apiarist
Pure oxalic acid is an unhealthy, toxic and corrosive substance. Therefore, special safety precautions for the beekeeper are necessary, as with other products for Varroa control. With every handling of Oxalic Acid there is the danger that the dust of the acid is breathed in. A protective mask, gloves and protective glasses should be worn. The low amount of Oxalic Acid that can eventually escape from the hive through gaps can easily be avoided. During treatment the beekeeper pays close attention to the wind direction. Colonies in a bee house â€“ the house must be well ventilated during and after the treatment.*
The amount of Oxalic acid that escapes is, in any event, only a fraction of the amount that surrounds the beekeeper when spraying with Oxalic acid. Spray treatment with a 3% solution of Oxalic acid is recommended in certain countries. Therefore when vapourizing with Oxalic acid a special protective mask (FFP 3 S/L) for solid (=S) and liquid (=L) acidic aerosols should be worn.
Start with your evaporation
1. Make sure the Oxalic tray is attached to the heating element â€“ tighten the screw
2. Fill the vapourizer with the required amount of Oxalic acid (2 scoops = approximately 2 grams). USE OXALIC ACID CRYSTALS ONLY, NOT LIQUID ACID
3. Place the vapourizer inside the hive and seal the hive with foam to prevent leakage of acid vapour during treatment
4. Connect the vapourizer to your battery. Positive (+) mounts to the wire and negative (-) to the handle. After 60+ seconds the Oxalic acid should be vapourized. Disconnect from battery and remove the vapourizer from your hive immediately.
Do not overheat the vapourizer as this can destroy the tray and the heat element.
5. The hive should remained locked for at least 10 minutes to enable the vapour to penetrate.
6. Prior to the next treatment, cool the vapourizer with a wet sponge. This will prevent early evaporation of the next fill.
7. After all treatments clean your vapourizer to remove the acid residue
How often can I treat my bees?
You can treat your bees as often as necessary, with the right amount of Oxalic Acid vapour there is no harm to bees, queen or brood.
Colony without brood or swarm â€“ 1 treatment
Colony with brood â€“ up to 4 treatments â€“ 5-7 days apart
Remember â€“ Oxalic acid does not penetrate closed cells
Always monitor mite fall
The JB200 electric is the fastest vapourizer available and was developed for beekeepers who care for large numbers of hives.
With this system, it is possible to connect several vapourizers â€œin lineâ€ to treat more than one colony at the same time.
The JP200 is powered by a 12-volt car battery.
The treatment takes approximately 60 seconds, but depends on the power of each individual battery, therefore, we recommend that you perform an initial test, outside the hive, to establish the evaporation time for your particular battery.
Accurate calculation of the evaporation time will save time and also protect the bees from excessive heat.
The JB200 comes with heat protection for the acid tray to prevent scorching.