Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 02:39:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHB PICS  (Read 6037 times)
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »

the one I smelled at another guys place smelled like vomit, it is the smell of honey fermenting, like a whisky mash before you distill it  shocked  Wink  evil .....

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »

Figured by your picture you'd know something about sour mash. shocked rolleyes Lips Sealed Wink
doak
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »

don't think it smelled like vomit....although vomit is the one thing that i can not stand and will avoid at almost all cost.  give me blood and guts anytime!  smiley  mine was a sharp smell. kind of sour.  the kind of smell that hits the back of your nose and makes it twitch.

anyway.  doesn't seem to be an issue.  was just curious about the SHB smell.

sour mash....would that be like when the neighbors still blew in KY?  don't really remember the smell, but i do remember the BOOM!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

kathyp, have some one to do a (foul brood) test on your hive.
Or if you know how do it yourself.
You break the cap on a sealed brood cell, use a large kitchen match or any stick that size. Stir the larvae
and pull the stick out slow. If it ropes out then it's foul brood.
Like when you are pulling honey from the honey gate and when you close it, you will have a string.
if it strings out thats the sign.
American foul brood will string out more than European foul brood.
Some call it a "glue pot" oder.
Hope you don't have it.
doak
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 11:45:59 PM »

Kathy ,
What was blooming--- any goldenrod or aster. Has a smell of sour or wet socks. May have been what you smelled, especially if it is gone now and brood etc. looks healthy.

John 3:16
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »

when they are curing goldenrod and aster you dont want to be down wind, them hives will stink!!!!!! smeels to me like a month old set of gym socks that are about the size of a hot air ballon  shocked ......

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 01:12:32 AM »

TwT...sc-bee, that might well be what it was.

doak, there was no disease in the hive.  the smell lasted about as long as it would have taken them to cure some funky honey.  it was odd that it was only in one hive, but that hive was putting away stores like crazy for a few weeks while they were queenless.

just curious, not worried.  fortunately, i have never had SHB, but didn't know there was a smell that went with them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »

Glad to hear that.
doak
hooyaman
New Bee

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »

I was in my largest hive today, and when i opened the lid about 50 of them darn things ran down into the hive. This was very discouraging for me and my babies.  I made some traps with the mineral oil and the lure and put it in all my hives.  I about had a heat stroke doing it, but hopefully it will work. i will let you all know tomorrow night if it works. I didn't think we had the shb in Missouri, but i know now.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 11:48:27 AM »

There will be no mistake about where the smell originates with shb, you will see the larvae, and smell the destruction. Vomit is probably a good description of the smell, but what kind of vomit? There are so many types, who wants to go there, I don't. oh well I gues I did. grin

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »

Eeeeew.  Sounds gross, too gross to even think about it, ooops, me too, I just did think about it  rolleyes  Have a wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
alexcc1
New Bee

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 11:46:36 PM »

I have a beetle problem in a hive with Honey Super Cell. When I opened it a few days ago there were hundreds of beetles, but no larva and no damage, I guess the beetles are having a difficult time with the HSC.  Hopefully I can do something with the Tracheal mite problem (I think) that is causing the population to  flounder.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next