Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 12:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now What - New Queen?  (Read 1013 times)
mgmoore7
House Bee

« on: August 25, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »

On one of my hives that I got about 7 weeks ago, it is doing fairly well but I have not yet noticed a good pattern.  Very spotty. 

Today, I saw only a few larger larve and some capped brood but not much and it was spotty too.  Also lots of honey in the brood box, but still plenty of places for the queen to lay.

I have been wondering the last couple of weeks if I should replace her and figured that likely after today if I still saw a spotty pattern, I would think hard about replacing..

My other two hives, one that is fairly strong and the other that is out of a nuc about 4 weeks ago, are both building comp and making honey and laying eggs.  So, while we are not in a flow, they are definately making honey.  A flow is being planned for in Sept.

mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »

I should add, that I did not notice any queen cells. 

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »

you'll get other opinions, but mine is that 7 weeks is not very long at this time of the year.  do you have a good flow?  even in Florida, you must have a slowdown of laying as you go toward winter?

with luck, you'll get some Floridians to help you out a bit.  if it were me, where i live, i do not think i'd replace until spring.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »

Fall is a good time to requeen here so you have a fresh queen start of spring. the spoty pattern could be a shortage of food this time of year also.

mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »

should I feed some to see if that stimulates her to get moving?  If she does not, I don't think I will have many bees by flow time in mid sept. 

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »

sometimes, when people see a spotty brood pattern they think the queens is no good, it could be a few things happening, could bee a bad queen, could be just the time of year, could be shortage of food, and it also could be good like hygienic behavior which could be a waist if you change her.... its up to you...

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

I would try feeding first.

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:33:56 PM »

Feed your bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »

Feeding has started.  Some home made honey b healthy in a jar through the top. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next