Last year I took a medium super (a shallow might even be better) and drilled a bunch of entrance-size holes in it--two on the long sides, one each on the short sides.
I stapled a bit of #8 hardware mesh on the insides of all but the front hole (an entrance). I placed this super (with frames) on top of one of my colonies last year. I also used a SBB.
This colony was the only one to produce a surplus last year (from two package colonies on bare Pierco foundation). They drew out, filled and capped the entire box.
I just took this same super and placed it on one of my colonies in the backyard.
I've got a few more beater supers that I'll probably alter in this fashion. I think it helps dry the honey, and helps the bees regulate the temps in extra hot weather.
Oregon has relatively mild winters, so I tend to be the type to leave SBB's open in winter, and I'd consider keeping one of these supers over a ventilated inner cover to help let moisture escape.