Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 31, 2014, 06:18:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, newb here from Texas  (Read 699 times)
ktadema
New Bee

« on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:05 PM »

I just bought a hive of bees from a guy that is getting out of the business.  I've been reading about bees for the past few months and found myself wishing that I had been prepared in the spring when I was lucky enough to find out about this firesale.  I bought a single 10 frame deep full of Italians.  I let them settle in for a few days, and finally smoked them and removed the top.  I was too chicken to take any of the frames out, but they looked very full, plus it's super heavy, so from a first glance, I think I have a good solid, well-established hive.  The exterior and the baseboard appears to be pretty old though.  I just ordered 5 medium supers with frames from Dadant so that I could let this hive expand some before winter.  Anyhow, I'm hoping to read and learn a lot from this forum! 
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the first inspection went well and maybe they will fill them supers up for you.  good luck

Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

Welcome! If they're full, they will likely need some space. Order a beesuit if you're nervous about inspection, it's something you'll need to do. A few stings make you tolerant of a few more. They aren't so bad. Not that I think you should be trying to get stung, of course. Smiley

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next