Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 25, 2014, 07:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Jet Setter on the move again.  (Read 5227 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 11:39:56 PM »

when i was in NJ in april, i had to go back into Newark.  it was getting dark.  i was driving and a couple of other ladies were with me.  my copilot was a black lady from oakland, ca.

i was really concentrating on driving and at one point, trying to get turned around when i found myself going down a one way street the wrong way.....all of a sudden, my copilot sucks in her breath and says "lock the doors and roll up the windows NOW!"  i said "what the hell is wrong with you?"  her answer....."WE' IN THE HOOD!". 

later she told me that a group of young men had spotted us and were obviously taking note of the lost, female, driving a rental car from texas, targets. 

if i don't see Newark again, it will be ok   smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »

KathyP.  That kind of story horrifies me.  I have seen movies where people go down the wrong roads in cities, like the one that you are describing and get brutalized.  I know it happens in real life I guess, but that thought is so foreign to me, I get scared half to death even reading about it, like you told us.  That must have been a horrifying night, I am so glad that you had the woman with you that told you to basically get the heck out of there, fast.  Glad you were safe and sound, happy day.  Great day and great life to us all.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

when i was younger...um 35+ years ago i went to Newark to do accounting work with my boss. it was an armpit back then. not much has changed.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »

cindi....i figure you only live once and, fortunately, you only have to die once.  smiley  i hope i die of old age after finishing the writing of my boring life story.  if not, i hope i die having a great adventure!  smiley

Newark was an adventure, but i'm not sure about the "great" part.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 12:35:31 PM »

Kathy, so you are writing a book?  Tell me when it is done  Wink.  I would really want to read it, and I bet it would not be boring one little bit.  I bet you would tell stories about your overnight rides with your mare, toting your rifle beside.  Yeah, that would make for some interesting reading.  I hope you write your autobiography and publish it.  I would be your first reader  Smiley  Have a wonderful day, this beautiful life to go along with it.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »

Well I am now in Charlotte airport hoping to get home for the three day weekend. I didn't have a lot of spare time so i could contact any of the Carolina beekeepers. My apologies for that. i will hopefully be back in a week or so.

On the bad sidenote the laptop I am typing with right now has a bad motherboard. It may crash at any moment. So I have spent most of the trip with out internet access.

My bees are doing fine and aparently have great taste also. The bees stung my wife in the butt twice this morning as she was in her garden. Apparently one of the four o clock plants needs to be trimmed back as it is brushing against the box and the bees don't seem to like this.

Hoping you all have a great labor day weekend.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

Same to you Brendhan.

Did you get a chance to see my hive set up in member photos??? I hadn't heard from you. If you do look, scroll down to the second posting where I made the photos larger when you click on them.

Annette from 102 degree Placerville. Poor bees, they are drinking and fanning like crazy. The sound from the hive is unbelievable.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »

My bees are doing fine and aparently have great taste also. The bees stung my wife in the butt twice this morning as she was in her garden. Apparently one of the four o clock plants needs to be trimmed back as it is brushing against the box and the bees don't seem to like this

Haa, haa, haa, now Brendhan, if that didn't make me laugh out loud, yeah, you brought a smile to my face. I pictured your pretty little wife out there bending over and the bee got her butt!!!!!  What a way to enjoy the beautiful life of gardening.  Now that would make for a very funny picture, her doing a scratchy thing on her rear end.  Very sensitive spot for surely.  I love four o' clocks, didn't realize the bees loved them too, just another bee plant to add to my property, tell you wife to enjoy the day.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi

Why don't you stay home for awhile, silly guy?  Aren't you sick and tired of travelling so much.  Tell your boss you don't want to travel anymore  rolleyes

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »

Why don't you stay home for awhile, silly guy?  Aren't you sick and tired of travelling so much.  Tell your boss you don't want to travel anymore  rolleyes

No , I love traveling. I have worked very hard to be at this stage and I am enjoying it a great deal.
What is unfortunate is I am responsible for every little thing that breaks or goes wrong while I am gone. Because according to my wife, it doesn't break until I leave.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »

I was gunna go to that Bee conference, its in my home town.

However it costs hundreds of dollars to get in and even a few hundred to go along as a "social" member.

Huge rip off IMO.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »

Brendhan, I know what you mean about things breaking down while the hubby is away.  When my husband travelled extensively with the business he was in (thank goodness he retired), everything under the sun would break down.  We live on a farm.  I was here alone.  So many things happened, water lines breaking, my greeenhouse furnace breaking down when seedlings were young.  Thank goodness we had a very good friend that would come to my rescue many times, don't know what would have come of things if he couldn't have helped out.  But yes, everything always seemed to go wrong when he was away, like he needed that kind of stress (or me either for that matter,  Wink.  Anyways, glad that you enjoy your job and travel, I take my hat off to you, and take it off twice to your wife.  Have a wonderful day, travelling and working.  Cindi

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 02:33:30 PM »

My mother always complained about that very thing, the minute Dad went on a business trip something would go south, the plumbing would break, the huge tree out front would drop a branch through the roof, just little stuff like that  evil

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »

This weekend was amusing the wheelbarrow had a flat tire. Not because of a hole just air escaping from a very slow leak. The problem was the valve was at a slight angle and my wife couldn't get the pump on it properly to inflate it. She asked me to take a look at it. I let the rest of the air out and just slid the tire so the valve straightened out. Put the pump on and inflated. Total time about maybe 5 minuets. After I was done, my wife stood there with her hands on her hips and a look on her face. I reacted and said what is up? Didn't you want the wheelbarrow fixed? She said of course I did and I am grateful you did it. It would not have gotten done had been away.
[sigh]
So instead of a simple thank you I get a lecture.

When I travel the maids put mints on my pillows.

On a side note, my laptop motherboard has taken a dive. I have ordered a replacement but it will be a few days. I am using a backup right now but it doesn't have all of my items on it. I should be back to normal in a week or so. If my postings are sparse it isn't because I have vanished, I am experiencing technical difficulties. Smiley

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »

Brendhan.  YOu make me laugh, I picture your wife standing there, with her hands on her hips.  I would probably do the same thing.

Men are the mother of invention.  I witness this all the time with all the young men around here (kids).  I ask them to help me and they willingly do so.  But...they always figure out a way to do it faster and much more simpler than I do.  I look at them, probably the same way that your wife looked at you.  Man, if only I could take the mind of a man and have it implanted into my mind, my life outside working would probably not take me nearly as long to do some simple little tasks.   Oh no....I take that back, I don't want a man mind inside my head!!!!  Have a wonderful day, enjoy your trips, enjoy the mints on your pillows.

When we travelled to Fiji for a vacation, so many years ago, we always had pretty flowers put on our pillows and all over the bathroom.  It was a wonderful and beautiful place to come back to, they made us feel so special.  Beautiful day.  Cindi

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »

yesterday i put my husband on a plane.

today, it's hot.  i started watering things.  our well is shallow.  the water ran out.  apparently the shut off switch that we installed to keep from running the well dry has gone bad.  apparently it's on my husbands "to do" list.

i spent 5 hours trying to get the water back because apparently the gage on the pump is also bad and i thought i had pressure when i didn't and had lost the prime.  hey!  guess what?  when the water is gone, you have no water to prime the pump!!!!  dog water works.  then i had to find the bicycle pump to put air back in the pressure tank. 

it might have taken less time, but frequent breaks were required for swearing and retrieving thrown wrenches, etc.

yup.  there is something about having hubby gone that makes stuff break......

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »

Kathy, ah, I feel for you.  I know those infuriating, hard times when the man is gone, and things break down.  Cursing and a'swearing ain't the entire picture for sure.  I wish you well.  I wish your husband well when he gets home, (he's gonna need help from the wrath of a frustrated and more than deeply annoyed wife). evil rolleyes  Maybe he won't want to come back home  Smiley

All kidding aside.  There have been so many times when we had the horses, my husband travelled so much and I had to go out to the deep dark back property in deep cold slimy wintertime to feed them.  All by myself.  Now that is scary stuff.  We had lights at the barns, but it was still a long, scary walk to where they were.  Get the hay from the barn behind and feed them, trying to manage all four horses myself.  Hmmm....made it through it, but ain't goin' there again.  I know for sure every type of animal was hiding in the bush, just waiting for me to come down there, breathing deep and scary animal sounds, just trying to intimidate me (oh no, now I am really setting my imagination on fire).  There wern't really any animals in the bush, just telling a little scary story of how I would feel scared.  I am sure though that the coyotes were not too far away though.

Kathy I hope your wrath has gone by the time your husband returns  rolleyes  Good luck with the water well and have a wonderful day, best of our life to you, girl.  Cindi

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next