Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 01:31:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice!!!!!!!  (Read 1889 times)
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« on: July 09, 2007, 08:31:53 PM »

ok, I have been thinking for the last few years about Truck Driving, I just turned 40 and want to see the country and been thinking about it for awhile!!

Who out there can give me advice about how to get my CDL  and weather or not to buy my own truck?

I can buy my own truck now, used of course but below 400,000 miles on it starting out, companies have offered to pay my training but want 2-3 years of my service before letting go if I didn't buy a truck.

Someone out there knows what I am facing and has good info to stir me straight so dont hold back let me know whats out there!!!!!!!

I dont have a CDL but will pay for it without any help, will have to have finances for the used truck but what am I going to get into?HuhHuh   

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »

A CDL is not that difficult if you study. I got mine two years ago. I drive a school bus for health benefits. ( I am self employed otherwise). I studied on line and mastered all the online sample tests.

I would recommend you get your CDL and then drive for a while before you buy a truck. Truck driving can be a lonely life. Used trucks will break down and when they do on the road it is never in a can be expensive.

My two cents worth, Steve 

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 11:00:53 PM »

You might get by with buying a truck if you have most everything else paid for. When I thought I was gonna go that route I already had too many irons in the fire. Then freight dropped off and got behind on payments. Drive for someone else. Less headaches.

I stopped driving about 17 years ago and just found out some of the rules/laws have changes. The amount of time one gets to be on duty has a lot to do with what you make. If you don't need a bunch of money, don't mind being away from home as much as two months at a time, and love to travel, trucking is great.

Do not pull refrigerated or dry box trailers. Just too darn much work. Flat bed is great. Always something different and more chances of going off the beaten path. Oversized hauling is challenging and fun.

I will probably think of more later....

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:44:46 PM »

Most men when they have a midlife crisis want a sports car.

You want a semi.

I like skydiving maybe you can try that instead.

Okay as a frequent road warrior who does not drive a semi, but who hangs out at many of the truck stops with the drivers, I can tell you this.

1. Don't own the vehicle. If something breaks on it and needs repair you can be out big money.
2. If the truck is yours and you have a problem you can be liable. Insurance is a bleep, make some else pay for that.
3. You can get your CDL pretty easily. I would recommend taking some driving courses first.
4. Long haulers tend to drive at night (not always). There is less traffic, less cops and DOT out there.
5. If you can get with a company that drives local. Armellini is one of the better trucking companies in the South Florida area. I do not know what their territory in in Georgia.
6. The romantic vision of the trucker crossing the gorgeous remote countryside is replaced with the fact that you are going to forced to stick on the interstate because most remote roads don't allow trucks or have bridges with low clearance levels. Toll roads view truckers and cash cows. They like to charge you more for each axle.
7. If they are paying you by the load. Make sure you have load to your destination and a load or two or three arrianged that will get you back and keep you paid. An empty truck is a money eating machine.

With that said many of the truckers I have spent time with love what they do. I would however say that many have had marital issues because they are often on the road for months at a time. I tend to catch the same grief on occasion from my wife and I am usually in something like a subcompact rental car or a cargo van.

Read what Jerrymac said again. He is wise and knows what he speaks of.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:00:53 AM »

don't know guys.  both my husband and i travel.  he more than i, of late.  the only conflict we have is when i forget to remove a gun or knife from the bed before he crawls in.  he objects to banging his head on the .45......to figure.......

i wish you well on the trucking.  i have a friend who's husband used to do long-haul.  it takes a great deal of self discipline and intestinal fortitude, from the stories he told.  even so, it sounded like a good life for someone who doesn't mind long hours alone and long hours on the road.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:14:23 AM »

I understand what all yaw are saying and it aint getting better looking, maybe I am missing something about driving my own truck and having a broker working for me, self imployed means you work enough to mak a living and not what the company says, but I see what you guys are saying and it is something (if I was to do it) I drive ride with a guy a few weeks and see what he does (AFTER i GOT A PERMIT) if I was to go that for , but dought it because yaw scare me,wife cost more than a used truck, heck she cost more than a New one, just ask her

Amateurs built the ark,
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:15:01 AM »

ted, go for it if you want to do it. Brendan I'm visualizing the sub-compact rental. grin

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:25:28 AM »

here is the one I was looking at , alot of money is the bad thing, would have to make it back quick so dont know just yet

Amateurs built the ark,
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:14:45 AM »

Nice truck. what year model? What kind of engine is in it? How many miles are on it. What is the price  of the truck, and how much will be financed?

I will admit that I just leased on to a company with the truck I was buying and some of the dispatchers as it turns out had their own trucks out there and I got screwed over a few times. Then another mistake was letting my wife pay the bills. Sometimes payday was slow coming around and the wife would catch up on the past house hold bills before making the truck payment. Don't ask me where her brain was, I never figured it out. There is money to be made if you are business minded and watch the way you go about it. Get the wife to go with you and enjoy the country.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 05:17:23 AM »

Youre a straight shooter TWT so I will give you the drum from Downunder re. Trucking.

A rig like that costs a quarter of a million dollars down here. Drivers are forced to drive long hours and take lil pills to do the hours just to pay it off.

They DO NOT see their kids grow up and the marriage suffers and a lot break down.

Fuel, Insurance, repairs, long hours, idiots on the roads, people that dont pay, bosses that run you into the ground, schedules, log books, and on it goes.

Some people are born to drive trucks, they love it, they drive for 40 years, it gets into their blood.

You wanna go drive trucks? try it for a couple of momths on someone elses money.

Dont spend your life savings on a rig before you know what its like.

Mate, the most important things in your life are your kids and the wonderful women you had the them with, I dont believe "she who must be obeyed" is as bad as all that!

Relax mate, chill out. Uncle Sam knows how much tax there is in Trucking but he doesnt know jack about bees!

Wait till your kids leave school before you make this decision.

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:01 PM »

well come to a conclusion, if I ever own my own truck i WILL BE TAKING MY BEE'S TO A POLLINATION FIELD, to much heart ack in that field, I ain't stupid and hearing all the bad against it I ain't going to try it, I like sure things and this seems like it ain't, THANKS ALL WHO GAVE ME ADVICE AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO ROBBEE ON bEESOURCE EXPLAINING IT FROM A EXPEREINCED POINT, that post you made was the trick, I have always made money and sometimes I spent times away but not more than a week at a time, that post told me all I needed to know, thanks again !!!!!!!!!!

Amateurs built the ark,
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:41 AM »

Beesource forums..............you been fraternising with the enemy again!
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 04:05:53 AM »

ok, I have been thinking for the last few years about Truck Driving, I just turned 40 and want to see the country and been thinking about it for awhile!!

buy a trailor and a car to haul it. haul it across the country for ?? half a year and i guarantee you'll see more and pay much less than truck driving for 5 year( ok i don't guarantee but suspect)

sorry for..humm troubeling your wish
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »

I know nothing about trucking. I know a lot about employers and self-employment regardless of industry. The former never tailors a schedule to meet your needs, but their own. The latter never turns down employment, because you never know when the next job is coming. As a result, no free time. Theres only two kinds of emoployment, unemployed, and over-employed...no inbetween.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next