Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 22, 2014, 10:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bees in a can  (Read 1103 times)
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« on: July 05, 2007, 11:43:28 PM »

I went and got some bees off a guys property last week these bees were in a old 5 gallon honey can.I put a five gallon paint strainer over the can were the bees went in and out and then took them to my bee yard.I cut them out of the can and put them in a new hive.I went to check them and they were over run with ants.The bees were clustered on the outside of the box.I scoped them up and put them in a new box with drawn comb and put them up on a old chair to keep them up away from the ants.I went to check them this afternoon and they weren't in the box but had moved to this nuc I had got from Dee Lusby.You could see them fighting a little and some dead bees but they were moving in.I think maybe the queen expired during all the comotion of cutting out the ants and being put in a second box I don't know.Anyone else see bees move into another active hive before?
kirko

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 11:49:12 PM »

Maybe African bees?

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »

last year, but it was after they had been queenless for a bit.  several weeks, i think.  when i realized that most had drifted to another hive, i just combined  what was left and that seemed to work.  at least i saved some.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:56:59 AM »

I have seen a hive in a 5 gallon bucket, it was upside down and had a crack in the side and they moved in and had filled it with comb...

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:59:46 AM »

Kirko, when you did the transfer did you add honeycomb along with broodcomb into the new hive? I do not advise this. I only add the broodcomb when doing a transfer as the bees are usually stressed when you do a cut out and are not able to properly tend to the honeycomb, which leads to unwanted invasions from ants and wax moth, although I do spray all combs with Certan, which cuts way back on the wax moth issue. The bees were trying to survive and the ants forced them elsewhere, that is why I never transfer honeycomb.

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »

Hey thats a good idea on not putting in the honey comb when you cut out I'm going to remember that
thank you
kirko

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next