Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 08:17:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADDICTION  (Read 1638 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: June 27, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »

I thought we knew years ago that video games were addicting. But I guess we were wrong.  shocked

Sometimes I really wonder if we should trust the "experts".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_on_hi_te/ama_video_game_addiction;_ylt=AsyHxG9p6sUC1a_4Wbtxo5XMWM0F

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »

are addiction and fixation the same thing?  by labeling something addiction, we get money and sympathy.  if we simply say someone is fixated, we get nothing except a slap up side the head to distract them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:59:38 PM »

Endorphins. Isn't that what is released in the brain that causes the feel good feeling? And if you want to get that feeling again, sometimes you have to do more of the thing that made you feel good. Isn't that a form of addiction?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »

an addiction to endorphins maybe.  that's what makes the difference between an ER nurse and a ward nurse.  it's why i rode cutting horses and didn't just plod down the trail  smiley 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »

Vidiots.  That's what I call them.  My youngest son is a vidiot, if he could make money playing video games he'd be all set  rolleyes  I've always known video games were addicting for some.  Thankfully he seems to be able to set the control pad down occasionally and walk away.  cheesy

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »

Their are kids in Asia who DIED from playing games continuously, they didn't get any food or water, never left the room just so they could beat a game or something stupid.

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
JMN
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

Video games may be addictive, but far more addictive is the International Beekeeping Forum.  I am sure because I am addicted already after only a few weeks.

JNM

Of all the things I lost, my mind is the one I miss the most. B1mg379
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »

Vidiots.  That's what I call them.  My youngest son is a vidiot, if he could make money playing video games he'd be all set  rolleyes  I've always known video games were addicting for some.  Thankfully he seems to be able to set the control pad down occasionally and walk away.  cheesy

I just read an article regarding a young man who makes over 350K doing video games and competing in competitions around the world from his living room. He won a car before he could drive. He tells stories how his parents would forbid his gaming as punishment and now he does advising to game companies, gets advanced copies of games for his testing, travelos to on site competitions and the like.

As for addiction versus fixation, same thing. One implies a negative/harmful impact, while fixations would be more benign in affect.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »

I just read an article regarding a young man who makes over 350K doing video games and competing in competitions around the world from his living room. He won a car before he could drive. He tells stories how his parents would forbid his gaming as punishment and now he does advising to game companies, gets advanced copies of games for his testing, travelos to on site competitions and the like.
Aw, geez, don't let him see this!  He's unemployed right now, we're battling about it, that's all I need, him thinking playing video games is a job!  evil rolleyes cheesy

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:27:12 AM »

Reinbou- I was blown away by this interview w/ this kid and parents. He apparently came to the attention of companies b/c he would write to companies customer sevrice and complain about softwqre glitches and suggest ways to improve them. Also, was well known on the net as a worldwide gamer under a name I cant recall. He wqas makinh six figures while in H.S. Couldn't beleive it!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next