Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 09:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: developed a reaction to bee sting  (Read 1607 times)
bluegrass
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 459

Location: CT


« on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »

My right hand has developed a reaction to bee stings. I got stung a bunch of times in it last weekend while doing a cut out and the swelling had gone down a few days ago. I got one more sting today and it swelled right back up and burns. Hope it is just residual affect.
Logged

Sugarbush Bees
Greg Peck
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 388


Location: Harrisburg Pa


WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »

I kind of had the same problem. I had been stung many times with no effect other then the normal sting pain and some itchiness. But then one day I got stung on my wrist and my whole arm swelled up. I took precautions not to get stung again for some time. I recently stopped worrying about it and got stung again. No side effects. I read somewhere that if you get stung on one day then get stung again a few days later you body may still be "fighting" the first sting and then it reacts again causing kind of an over reaction. I read this on some type of medical website I cant find the link right now but if I find it I will post it.
Logged

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees
mark
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 179

Location: williamstown n.j.


« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »

not an unusual reaction.   i would suggest putting the ring away though.
Logged
Cindi
Galactic Bee
******
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 9827

Location: Grindrod, B.C. Canada


« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:50:44 PM »

Ha, Nice hand!!!!  have a great day, great life.  Cindi
Logged

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Michael Bush
Universal Bee
*******
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 13859


Location: Nehawka, NE


WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:56:28 PM »

I had a sting about two years ago that swelled up my ankle to where I couldn't walk.  I haven't had hardly any reaction since.  As long as it's local I would consider it normal.  I would stop wearing the ring before you have to have it cut off.  Smiley
Logged

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Kirk-o
Queen Bee
****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1059


Location: Los Angeles california


« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »

Back In the 70's I had to cut my wedding ring off.My finger felt alot better then.The ole lady left about a month later I really felt good then
kirko
Logged

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3384


Location: Walker, La.

Ted


« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »

I believe a lot of the reaction are from what the bee's are foraging on, I know when my bee's are working blue berries and I get stung it doesn't swell but festers like a ant bite, other time it does nothing...
Logged

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Michael Bush
Universal Bee
*******
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 13859


Location: Nehawka, NE


WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »

Another theory is that OTC pain meds make it worse.  I don't use any, so I have no opinion on the matter.
Logged

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
bluegrass
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 459

Location: CT


« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 05:35:10 AM »

Yeah I try and remember to take it off when I am in the hives, but I don't always. I swelled all the way up to my elbow yesterday and had ice packs on it all day. I guess I will have to wear gloves for awhile and give my right hand a rest. I am pretty sure that it is just leftover reaction from last weekend as I also got hit in the shoulder and that just looks like a regular bee sting. I am glad it is going back down though; if it got any worse there would be no avoiding a visit to the ER.
Logged

Sugarbush Bees
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines | Sitemap Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.

Google visited last this page October 31, 2014, 05:57:04 AM