Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 26, 2014, 02:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: no drones or drone cells  (Read 954 times)
wtiger
House Bee

« on: June 12, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »

Ok this has started to bother me a little as with all the information I've read it seems a bit odd.  I have yet to see a drone cell in any of my hives.  Both hives look like they're on the verge of a population explosion and needing another medium brood chamber; since the hives have started expanding and all but the top portion of and a few little spots here and there are packed with worker brood going on the 5th week since installation.  Does this seem a little odd to anyone else or am I just being a worry wort?  Oh and there are a few drones here and there, but they either came with the package or came from another hive as I'm positive I've not seen a capped drone cell.
Apiarist3000
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »

Ok this has started to bother me a little as with all the information I've read it seems a bit odd.  I have yet to see a drone cell in any of my hives.  Both hives look like they're on the verge of a population explosion and needing another medium brood chamber; since the hives have started expanding and all but the top portion of and a few little spots here and there are packed with worker brood going on the 5th week since installation.  Does this seem a little odd to anyone else or am I just being a worry wort?  Oh and there are a few drones here and there, but they either came with the package or came from another hive as I'm positive I've not seen a capped drone cell.

Have you put a smaller frame inside the brood (super frame) so that they can make drone comb on that?
wtiger
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »

one colony is starter strips so they draw whatever they want.  The other is on pierco frames so I was going to wait until they were big enough to add another brood box before I gave them an empty frame to do with as they please.  On a side note the colony started on starter strips appears to be the stronger of the two.  With more drawn frames and a larger brood nest.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »

From my understanding and what I have read on this forum, the bees know what to do and when to do it. I would not worry about drones. I also noticed very little amount of drones in my strong hive compared to what I usually see. Oh well!!  If they need them, they will make them.

Annette
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »

Lack of drone cells are a blessing, it tells you the bees are focusing on developing their home and have no intention of swarming.  Even if there were a queen cup or 2 to be found the lack of drone brood says, Hey, we like it here and we're working. 
Enjoy the serendipity.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next